Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

€7.50 for a Maß of any beer in The Malt House, Athlone including Bo Bristle IPA and Stout, Metal Man, Black Donkey, Carrig Pilsner and Rebel Red.

I'm going to have to revisit me "I don't go out on Athlone " policy...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Got my hands on 3 bottles of Lublin To Dublin during the week. Had one on Wednesday evening. The first mouthful was stunning but the rest lost its appeal after a while. I'm having a second go at it tonight and enjoying it a lot more. Works well after a few minutes in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Unforunately the celtic warrior beer was poor. It seemed like it was supposed to be a fairly run of the mill pale ale, but had a slightly sour taste and was more like a poor home brew instead of commercial beer.

Hopefully they can work on their quality control and improve in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

8 degree sunburnt....amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Leann Folláin. Cycled home with 8 bottles in my bag, makes it all the sweeter!

Its a great stout though, one of my favorites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Leann Folláin. Cycled home with 8 bottles in my bag, makes it all the sweeter!

Its a great stout though, one of my favorites.

Tried 8 degree's nomad ipl tonight, lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A bottle of Trouble Graffiti. Cracking beer.

I've had it lots of times on draught but I think I prefer the bottled version. The fact that it's not ridiculously cold might be the deciding factor. Either way it's such a great beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I had a couple Sierra Nevada Oktoberfests recently, very nice beer and really easy to drink.
    A while back I had a few Dale's Pale Ale, I first had this a few years ago and didn't tink much of it, but this time around I loved it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been trying to get through my stout/porter collection over the last few weeks (after stocking up last winter, mostly as a Christmas present to myself!)

Last weekend I had a 75cl bottle of Rascal's Chocolate Ginger Porter. It exploded all over the sitting room when I popped the top. >_<

Tonight I broke out my last 8 Degrees Russian Imperial Stout. It's only gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

matrim wrote: »
    Was give a couple of Celtic Warrior beers that my parents picked up at the taste of Cavan a couple of weeks ago.

One has summer beer written on the side where the barcode should be, so I assume is an unreleased beer. The other doesn't seem to say what type of beer it is. Anyone know anything about them?

They are both brewed by Hyland Brewery. Celtic Warrior is actually the Name of their Pale Ale. I don't know the name of their Summer Ale. They launched at The Taste of Cavan. They were brewed in the co-op in Dublin I believe. I wasn't impressed with the Pale Ale, and haven't drank the Summer Ale yet. But the fact that they Labelled the SA with the Celtic Warrior label makes me think it was all a rushed job just to get their brand out there.

I see you weren't that impressed either. You should check out O'Cleirigh BrewIng, another Cavan brewery, I love their Virginja Pale Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

BaZmO* wrote: »
    A bottle of Trouble Graffiti. Cracking beer.

I've had it lots of times on draught but I think I prefer the bottled version. The fact that it's not ridiculously cold might be the deciding factor. Either way it's such a great beer.

Where did you get it? I've been keeping my eye out for it in a few local offies but haven't seen it yet.

Where did you get it? I've been keeping my eye out for it in a few local offies but haven't seen it yet.

Drinkstore

Firestone - Pivo Hoppy Pils. What a boring uninspired beer. Not sure why they've decided to call it a "Hoppy" Pils either as I'm not getting any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

All the Trouble core range (which now includes Graffiti) are four for a tenner in Drinkstore - top value for 500ml bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Those firestone beers are all meh, think they are out of date

RasTa wrote: »
    Those firestone beers are all meh, think they are out of date

I didn't think much of the DBA either.

Had a bottle of Siren's Uncle Zester last night. Really unusual beer, in a good way. It's like a sour fizzy lemon drop sweet. I wasn't expecting much as I'm getting a bit bored of sour beers as of late, especially Saisons, as they all just seem the same. But this one was really different and really nice. The OH thought I was drinking "gone off lemonade" though. :D Her palate obviously isn't as refined as mine. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they are all very close to their best before, I remember noticing it on the bottle of double jack last night. They're really good when fresh when I was in California in June.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

they are all very close to their best before
    Do they even have a best before? Any that I've seen have just had a packaging date.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

oh perhaps not, I saw a date and just assumed. we all know when you assume you make an ass out of u and me (and in this case just me).

• Advertisement

It's your legal right to expect a best before; it's a requirement. But Irish importers and retailers are pretty lax about the law on these things.

It doesn't say packaged on so it has to be best before. Also the taste would indicate this. Osker Blues Pinner is a nice and the one I had was canned 3 months ago and still somewhat fresh

RasTa wrote: »
    It doesn't say packaged on so it has to be best before.
    How do you figure?

BeerNut wrote: »
    How do you figure?

Tastebuds

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Their website says this regarding the date

"REMEMBER: Watch for bottled on dates located on the necks or bottom left corner of the label for each of our beers."

I always thought that a lot of the better USA breweries did this too. What's the date on the firestone beers here out of curiosity ?

June

Confirmed on Twitter by Grand Cru: those are packaged-on dates, not best befores.

Nonsense, they would say bottled on like every other beer.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, biggest let down of 2015 with a well respected brewery for me anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement