Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I was down in Doolin over the weekend and had a few of the samples of tap. Seemed like there was a lot less on offer than there was at last years. I started off with O'Haras Saison, definitely disappointed with it, but that could have been down to the couple of Perlenbecher I had before.
    Switched onto White Hags Oktoberfest, I hadnt seen it in a while but I really liked it the last time so thought it would be a fairly solid choice but it seemed a bit off? I had contemplated going for their chocolate stout but it was coming out half head, half beer. Should have went their White IPA.
    Then for some crazy reason I decided to have a pint of Trouble Brewings India Pale Larger. It seemed really heavy on the hop flavour, something beyond me in lager form at this point in me craft beer exploring.

I heard some great reviews from my other not so craft beer enthusiastic friends who were a bit less excited about trying non-Carling/Heineken/Guinness pints; they loved JJ's stout and their pilsner, which I sampled both of and can agree they were very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

I had my second last bottle of GBB voyager last night. It was fantastic.
    Decided I will have the last one tonight, no point in saving it as I might get hit by a bus in the morning. Does anyone know if this will be continued or is it a one off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I had my second last bottle of GBB voyager last night. It was fantastic.
    Decided I will have the last one tonight, no point in saving it as I might get hit by a bus in the morning. Does anyone know if this will be continued or is it a one off?

I think they do a different one each year

I think they do a different one each year

Feck, not sure what to do with it now. Leave it on the shelf taunting me for eternity or enjoy it tonight and regret finishing it for eternity.
    Maybe it's better to drink it while it's fresh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Feck, not sure what to do with it now. Leave it on the shelf taunting me for eternity or enjoy it tonight and regret finishing it for eternity.

Drink it now, as you said you could be hit by a bus tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

All hoppy beers are best enjoyed as young as possible. It'll only get worse the longer you leave it. ;)

I took your excellent advice, it's as delicious as I rembered from last night.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Apologies for jumping the gun on the best before / packaged on dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

The Pale 31's and Double Jack's I've had have been delicious. DJ as I had it from a bottle is probably the best DIPA around at the moment. Couple months old but still rocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

White Hag - Bran & Sceolan. Pretty nice but I can taste every decimal of the 7.2 abv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Way more flavour from Grand Stretch over Easy Jack. Still prefer White Hag's session

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I too feel that Firestone Walkers Pivo and Easy Jacks are underwhelming, and I've let to try the others that are available. I did however try their Union Jack IPA and it was fantastic, a really good solid IPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Son0vagun wrote: »
    I too feel that Firestone Walkers Pivo and Easy Jacks are underwhelming, and I've let to try the others that are available. I did however try their Union Jack IPA and it was fantastic, a really good solid IPA.

Not mad about those myself, I wasn't impressed by their Oktoberfest I had last year either. Wookie Jack would be one of my favourite beers.

I had Lagunitas Imperial Pilsner over the weekend. Nice beer but I noticed more Imperial than Pilsner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a McGargles Tom O'Briens stout last night. Had a sour off taste and was really poor.

I haven't been having a good time lately trying new beers but just won tickets to ICBF so hopefully things improve there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

First Amber Ella for a while tonight. What a beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

matrim wrote: »
    Had a McGargles Tom O'Briens stout last night. Had a sour off taste and was really poor.

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

:rolleyes:

For a brewery that likes to think it's brilliant, to send an off beer to market is pretty bad.

Of course, it's probably your fault for not liking gone off beers, not everyone can like everything after all. You just aren't the target demographic.

What day are you hitting the festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Ah Jesus ...

Are ye back here again?

Listen, the water protesters will be finished with their placards and signs early on Saturday and they'll loan them to ye to protest in front of the Rye River stand. I'll give ye a few A4 pages and a sharpie to alter them...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The number of Rye River specials for this festival is bizarre for a single brewery. I'll leave that there. I do buy their products.

L1011 wrote: »
    The number of Rye River specials for this festival is bizarre for a single brewery. I'll leave that there. I do buy their products.

They were supposed have some nice beers at the alltech festival although I didn't try any. I imagine part of it is that they know their reputation and are trying to show that they are not just generic beer makers trying to masquerade as craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Was out for a few Guinness while the poor wife had diet coke. Having a delicious heatsink watching utd lose ATM. Nice bit of heat in the aftertaste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Carry out Tyrrellstown have Hop House 13 for growler take away according to twitter. Marketing at Diagio are really doing a good job at faking craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Not G.R wrote: »
    Carry out Tyrrellstown have Hop House 13 for growler take away according to twitter. Marketing at Diagio are really doing a good job at faking craft.

oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

they should just use some stickers to go viral ;)

L1011 wrote: »

Mountain man had nothing but specials, no core stock at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

oblivious wrote: »
    Mountain man had nothing but specials, no core stock at all

I believe I saw Hairy Goat on the blackboard.

Ravelleman wrote: »

From talking to him, he took the base beers and made a special out of it. For example, he started with Green Bullet and made 3 specials from the base recipe. Same for his other beers. So when he had Hairy Goat on the blackboard, the ones underneath where the specials based on that beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

matrim wrote: »
    From talking to him, he took the base beers and made a special out of it. For example, he started with Green Bullet and made 3 specials from the base recipe. Same for his other beers. So when he had Hairy Goat on the blackboard, the ones underneath where the specials based on that beer.

Very interesting indeed. :)

Ravelleman wrote: »

Hairy nuts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Earlier I enjoyed a can of Sculpin from Ballast Point, a lovely Fruity IPA with a bitter sting at the finish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Only new one I had over the weekend was ablackstairs fiery porter, which is made with jalapeños and ginger.

Bit of a strange one. Could get the ginger on the nose but not in the taste. The chilli was very subtle, but definitely left a warm feeling in the mouth that I'm not sure I liked at all. The beer itself lacked body, felt almost watery in the mouth without and real strong flavours. Definitely wouldn't be trying again.

Also was in carryout tyrrellstown yesterday, the Brooklyn black ops was reduced from 26 to 20. Asked the lad was it still 10% off when buying 6 large bottles which he said he would do.

Got two black ops, a 750ml mikeller number I can't remember the name of, a 750ml meantime porter and 750ml bottles ofBrooklyn 1 and 2 all for 80 quid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement