Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

About to crack open a bottle of O'Hara's Barrel Aged Barley Wine.

I have one of those saved in a wardrobe at home since last Christmas. Let me know what you make of yours! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Kinnegar Crossroads. I've been a fan of these boys for a while. Never disappoint. This is a lovely beer for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Btl of homebrew, it wouldn't win a comp but my 3rd drink in about 6 weeks and it's savage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

An File wrote: »
    I have one of those saved in a wardrobe at home since last Christmas. Let me know what you make of yours! :)

Really delicious.

Reminds me most of this Gypsy Tears, but not as deeply rich with fruit (in fairness that is a Red Wine barrel aged so there's a difference).

You can get the vanilla oakiness, and it definitely improves as it warms up (I had the bottle in the fridge for about 45mins).

There's a nice background of sour cherries, dark chocolate and a lovely mouthfeel, coating the mouth with caramel and toffee.

An excellent sipper

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Having a siren bones of a sailor. It's a strange one. Load of raspberry upfront with sourness, then comes sweetness from the vanilla. I'm not really get much chocolate.

Overall nice but getting a bit overpowering the further into it I get.

Edit: just got a big chocolate hit in the last 2 sips.

• Advertisement

Had first OFAF last night. Thought it was super bitter, and not as tasty as Crossroads on first few sips, then it mellowed and I wanted more.

Also I found it very uplifting. Either that or it got me half pißsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

San Miguel Selecta XV it's like a Spanish twist on a pilsner.

It's 6.3% and you can taste it. Will not buy it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

matrim wrote: »
    Having a siren bones of a sailor. It's a strange one. Load of raspberry upfront with sourness, then comes sweetness from the vanilla. I'm not really get much chocolate.

Overall nice but getting a bit overpowering the further into it I get.

Edit: just got a big chocolate hit in the last 2 sips.

Had one yesterday, never got any chocolate from it, plenty of raspberry and sherry also. It was a bit on the cold side but improved as it warmed up.
    Had an Even More Jesus VIII later on, prefer Bones of a Sailor.

Where you buy Tony?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Bones of a Sailor in ATG, and Even more Jesus in Beer Market, couldn't find any in Deveny's or Redmond's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Metalman Equinox. Not a huge fan, although I do like to see something Irish in cans that isn't just their IPA.

Got a few other random things in O'Briens 6-for-5, was considering pigging on 12-for-10 until I decided to spend the money on a bottle of Black Bush instead.

Couple of Leann Follain for tonight, I've a barrel aged there too, but I don't feel like opening it tonight, will keep that for a colder night, maybe even Xmas Eve.

It's been ages since I had this, it really is a top notch stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A few cans of harp.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Dungarvan seaweed saison.

Like many others have reported, a real belter.

Nice to try something a bit different, for me anyway

Couple of Leann Follain for tonight

and blue cheese

amazing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

A few cans of harp.

How's the computer today?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

McGargles new West Coast IPA "Francis".

Pretty good, much better than Knockout Ned.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

McGargles new West Coast IPA "Francis".

Where did you get this... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Well if that's ALL you have then it will have to do...

http://i.imgur.com/HE5NQkG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Not G.R wrote: »
    Well if that's ALL you have then it will have to do...

http://i.imgur.com/HE5NQkG.jpg

Where is that?

• Advertisement

laros wrote: »
    Where did you get this... ?

Dunnes have it, €9 for a 4 pack. Presumably tesco etc have it as well.

limnam wrote: »
    Where is that?

Bruges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Bruges.

Going in 3 weeks, 3 long weeks....

Going in 3 weeks, 3 long weeks....

Its a beautiful little city but a few days is plenty. It can get a little stale after a while. We were here two days and did and saw everything we wanted to do.

Beer wise I'd recommend Cambrinus (that's where the picture was taken) They have an outrageous selection we had to go twice to cover everything we wanted to try. The food looked nice but we never got a table as it was always jammed. Book in advance if you want food. It has a sister Shop on the same street called Le Beir Temple worth a visit for beer nerds.

If you're just chasing Westy there's a small shop around the corner of the pub just off the main square that sell all 3 types for a modest €12.50 compared to the €15.50 I paid in the bar. It doesn't look like much from the outside.

Keldercafe le Trappists is also worth a visit. Looks a bit like Cassidys in Dublin if you're familiar.

There's a bar with a great view of the market square upstairs in the Historium that's with a visit worth a visit.

The beer museum is worth a visit. If you're a homebrewer you'll know 70% of the tour anyway but you can buy a ticket that includes a tasting tray.

Didn't get a chance to do The Half Moon brewery tour unfortunately. They brew the local beers that are worth a go. Bruges Zot Bruin in particular.

Take a canal tour by boat. Worth it.

Go up the Belfort tower.

If I was going again I'd check in a suitcase. So much beautiful glassware and beer that I'd love to bring home :(

Enjoy yourself mostly :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just back from my holidays today and finishing them off with a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. That's an awful big bottle for a 9.2%er! That said, it hides it well and it's a seriously good beer that seems to be getting even better as it warms up a little.

I was in Italy and I really wasn't expecting much by way of beers other than the standard Peroni or Moretti, and that proved to be the case in the hotel bar. But outside of there I found some spectacularly good beers and was amazed to find one bar serving around 80 different locally brewed beers. The variety of styles was pretty impressive, and included stuff I'd never expect to see there like altbier and Russian imperial stout. Had a really good saison in one bar and an equally good schwarzbier in another. The one non-local beer I had was an excellent amber from the Basque region. All in all, a huge and pleasant surprise.

you should check out the Italian Craft Beer mini-Festival in Wallaceland, if it happens this year, I had some amazing fruit sours, stouts and ales last year down there. It was a small enough event, but the range was so much more better than I imagines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Its a beautiful little city but a few days is plenty. It can get a little stale after a while. We were here two days and did and saw everything we wanted to do.

Beer wise I'd recommend Cambrinus (that's where the picture was taken) They have an outrageous selection we had to go twice to cover everything we wanted to try. The food looked nice but we never got a table as it was always jammed. Book in advance if you want food. It has a sister Shop on the same street called Le Beir Temple worth a visit for beer nerds.

If you're just chasing Westy there's a small shop around the corner of the pub just off the main square that sell all 3 types for a modest €12.50 compared to the €15.50 I paid in the bar. It doesn't look like much from the outside.

Keldercafe le Trappists is also worth a visit. Looks a bit like Cassidys in Dublin if you're familiar.

There's a bar with a great view of the market square upstairs in the Historium that's with a visit worth a visit.

The beer museum is worth a visit. If you're a homebrewer you'll know 70% of the tour anyway but you can buy a ticket that includes a tasting tray.

Didn't get a chance to do The Half Moon brewery tour unfortunately. They brew the local beers that are worth a go. Bruges Zot Bruin in particular.

Take a canal tour by boat. Worth it.

Go up the Belfort tower.

If I was going again I'd check in a suitcase. So much beautiful glassware and beer that I'd love to bring home :(

Enjoy yourself mostly :)

Cheers, we're doing 4 days and one in Brussels, and we are bringing a suitcase ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Zaph wrote: »
    Just back from my holidays today and finishing them off with a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. That's an awful big bottle for a 9.2%er! That said, it hides it well and it's a seriously good beer that seems to be getting even better as it warms up a little.

I was in Italy and I really wasn't expecting much by way of beers other than the standard Peroni or Moretti, and that proved to be the case in the hotel bar. But outside of there I found some spectacularly good beers and was amazed to find one bar serving around 80 different locally brewed beers. The variety of styles was pretty impressive, and included stuff I'd never expect to see there like altbier and Russian imperial stout. Had a really good saison in one bar and an equally good schwarzbier in another. The one non-local beer I had was an excellent amber from the Basque region. All in all, a huge and pleasant surprise.

Id a similar experience in Italy 2 summers ago. We were in a tiny resort an hour from Naples and found a great little bar with a huge selection of local craft beers. The local red ales in particular were fantastic. A very pleasant surprise indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Had a Bru, Darkeside IPA the other night. Enjoyed it, probably the nicest of their brews.

Would drink again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Cheers, we're doing 4 days and one in Brussels, and we are bringing a suitcase ;-)

The Fort Lapin Brewery has also just recently started doing brewery tours - Its listed on their Facebook page, I think its only Saturdays between 1400 - 1800 however. I think they're located just out side the dual carriageway ring.

Also I highly recommend a tiny little bar called De Garre (http://www.degarre.be/) its hidden down a tiny little alleyway as you walk towards Church of the Holy blood from the Belfry, we had to walk up and down there a few times before we spotted it.

The Bruges Zot tour is interesting just to see the layout but its a really basic tour. The restaurant and beers there are good though. The Zot Blonde is served unfiltered there and is much nicer than bottled.

Going back in December - Can't wait.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement