Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Had a bottle of Birra del Borgo Re Ale with my lunch today 1st time trying some Italian craft beer and to be fair it was a very strange beer i cant work out did i like it or not as the 1st slip i kind of went thats bitter but after i started getting into the bottle with my Pasta i started to enjoy it more and more. Only thing is that it was €7.50 a bottle and i nearly had a hart attack paying that much for a bottle of beer.

But to give you ideas of how much other beers where O Horras Irish Red 330ML bottles where €6 euro a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Metalman Heatsink. It's grand for a porter but I think they forgot to add the chilli. I'm thinking of squirting in a few drops myself before I get to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Currently having my first ever "IPA" (well, the first that I'm aware of anyway). Grafters, 6.5%. I don't really like the taste. It reminds me of a bitter Christmas beer I once had in Against the Grain.

Only thing is that it was €7.50 a bottle and i nearly had a hart attack paying that much for a bottle of beer.

But to give you ideas of how much other beers where O Horras Irish Red 330ML bottles where €6 euro a bottle.
    Jaysis. Where the feck are you?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

folamh wrote: »
    Currently having my first ever "IPA" (well, the first that I'm aware of anyway). Grafters, 6.5%. I don't really like the taste. It reminds me of a bitter Christmas beer I once had in Against the Grain.

I vividly remember my first! A bottle of Trouble Brewing Sabotage in a lovely spot in Skerries. The waitress got my order wrong (I was looking for the Dark Arts porter) but I was curious to try a new beer so I said nothing.

Struggled to taste the rest of my dinner after drinking it, but grew to love IPAs (far hoppier ones, too) soon after! :D

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    I vividly remember my first! A bottle of Trouble Brewing Sabotage in a lovely spot in Skerries. The waitress got my order wrong (I was looking for the Dark Arts porter) but I was curious to try a new beer so I said nothing.

Struggled to taste the rest of my dinner after drinking it, but grew to love IPAs (far hoppier ones, too) soon after! :D
    Is there much divergence in taste? Like, if I don't like this Grafters IPA, should I try others?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is there much divergence in taste? Like, if I don't like this Grafters IPA, should I try others?

I've yet to try Grafters so I wouldn't know what to compare it to, but I'd recommend trying a few others sometime to see if you might like the style. Some are noticeably more fruity, others are more bitter, others are made to gently introduce new customers to the style. Much like most beers, really.

M'hay. I saw Brú, Blacks of Kinsale, Grafters and a few others in Dunnes today. I picked up a bottle of Grafters because it was on offer and because I've been meaning to try IPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Try Black's Pale ale next.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

M'hay. I saw Brú, Blacks of Kinsale, Grafters and a few others in Dunnes today. I picked up a bottle of Grafters because it was on offer and because I've been meaning to try IPA.

I'd back off to pale ales for now if I were you. Some are still quite fruity bit not as bitter ... although the terms pale ale, IPA, IIPA are almost meaningless at this point as far as being a beer flavour descriptors. Blurred lines how are ya!

Just keep drinking as many different beers as you can, and revisit those you didn't like in a few months. The beers won't have changed but your appreciation might/will have.

• Advertisement

lk67 wrote: »
    Just keep drinking as many different beers as you can
    Yes, sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Lublin To Dublin and a Hoptimista. Two solid beers for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

hi guys, I just discovered the Belgium beers recently while working there, after a bottle of westmalle dubbel im hooked, I went through some great beers but the westmalle dubbel is the one, I bought a case from the Belgium beer factory and the prices were ok but is there any other online sites that can give a better price or an irish site that can match it, would prefer to spend here but the price has to be fair, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

minterno wrote: »
    hi guys, I just discovered the Belgium beers recently while working there, after a bottle of westmalle dubbel im hooked, I went through some great beers but the westmalle dubbel is the one, I bought a case from the Belgium beer factory and the prices were ok but is there any other online sites that can give a better price or an irish site that can match it, would prefer to spend here but the price has to be fair, cheers

https://www.obrienswine.ie/beers/beers/craft-beer-sale/westmalle-dubbel-33cl-bottle.html

Included in the 6 for 5 sale so works out at €2.83 a bottle there. Free delivery over €60.

Edit: I've never ordered beer from there before, looks quite cheap though (Belgian Beer Factory). O'Brien's works out more expensive. Don't think you'll get cheaper here in Ireland, Drinkstore/McHugh's are €3.10/3.20 per bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

minterno wrote: »

Drinkstore do deals when you buy a case. Reduced to €2.80 each from €3.10 when you buy 24.

http://www.drinkstore.ie/WESTMALLE-DUBBEL-330ML-5412343152332/

Not sure if that's close to what you're getting online though.

I got Blacks of Kinsale "Rocket Ship" IPA. 6.5%. It's a lot nicer than that Grafters one, and I like how I can taste the freshness.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Currently downing an ikea dark lager. It's oddly decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ikea?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ikea?

Yeah, just add water.

Pint%20Glass%203.1.JPG

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ikea?

Apparently so

tumblr_m9zrioZZ2f1qznrq7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Late for pints in town so keeping it classy by drinking some cans of founders centennial on the peasant wagon. A glass would be nice

More High Viz, tonight. Absolutely love the stuff.

Grayditch wrote: »
    More High Viz, tonight. Absolutely love the stuff.

Where are you getting that?

ikea?

They had it and Guinness extra stout, as well as a shelf label for the lager but no stock. Didn't think they had a licence even

in Dublin?

I'm interested enough to try this, I might pop in after work.

in Dublin?

I'm interested enough to try this, I might pop in after work.

In the restaurant in Dublin - I didn't check the food market.

Its not earth-shattering, but for 2.25 in a 'restaurant' its pretty decent.

cool thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Where are you getting that?
    Re: Hi Viz - It's in O'Briens

jsa112 wrote: »
    Re: Hi Viz - It's in O'Briens

They also have it in a few Molloys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

jsa112 wrote: »