Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Grayditch wrote: »
    More High Viz, tonight. Absolutely love the stuff.

Flipping lovely. Up there (IMHO of course) with Full Irish for best Irish IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yeah, I enjoyed it from the growlers I got in McHughes, and it seems even better bottled. I've said it before but it reminds me of the very much missed Whistleblower from Trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

At a beer club last night we had a bottle of Firestone Sucaba followed by a few year old bottle of Sam Adams Utopias and then another Sucaba, the 2nd Sucaba was like drinking water after having the Utopias, delighted to have tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Williams Brothers Tayberry beer. Doesn't taste like a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

cloughmore-dark-water-stout-e1413809820317.jpg

Cloughmore Dark Water Stout

Picked this up in SuperValue. Pours dark brown, medium bodied, decent carbonation. Overall a fairly inoffensive stout with nothing particularly distinctive or flavoursome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Had a Brú Rí IPA last night. Much nicer and fresher than Grafters. I like it about the same as Blacks of Kinsale. All the IPAs I've tried so far have been a bit bitter for my liking, so I might just stick to the Peronis from now on. I'd still like to try High Viz, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

folamh wrote: »
    Had a Brú Rí IPA last night. Much nicer and fresher than Grafters. I like it about the same as Blacks of Kinsale. All the IPAs I've tried so far have been a bit bitter for my liking, so I might just stick to the Peronis from now on. I'd still like to try High Viz, though.

Try a few American Pale Ales, they have the hop character of IPAs without the big bitterness

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭flended12

Four Provinces "The Hurler". Like mothers milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Bottle of Erdinger Oktoberfest tonight in preparation for a trip to the real Oktoberfest next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Passenger wrote: »
    cloughmore-dark-water-stout-e1413809820317.jpg

Cloughmore Dark Water Stout

Picked this up in SuperValue. Pours dark brown, medium bodied, decent carbonation. Overall a fairly inoffensive stout with nothing particularly distinctive or flavoursome.

I think all of their beer range is pretty bland and some of them are horrific. I literally had to pour one of them down the drain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

revenge_yrfycq.jpg

Kelly's Mountain Brew Revenge Ruby Porter

Picked this up in SuperValue as well. Medium bodied and mild in flavour. Nicely balanced. Subtle dry/bitter aftertaste. Nothing spectacular but a decent enough Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

McGargles Francis' big bangin IPA. Silly name, Excellent beer. Loved it at this year's Irish craft beer festival, great to see it bottled.
    Probably McGargles best one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Enjoying a tasty Ska Brewing True Blonde Ale, lovely clean bitterness to it, light body so extremely quaffable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Renegade Series Blue Rose Dry Hopped Pale Ale - West Kerry Brewery : it's a lightly carbonated beer, with a slight citrus after taste.
    Reminds me of an English styled summer ale with an American twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

159a8292cd4710095e8420f6f071ea36_320x320.jpg

Smooth and easy drinking despite it's 7%ABV (could be dangerous!)

BreakfastStout2.jpg

Not very nice. Difficult to get past the powdery faux-chocolate presence. Bit like triple-chocoholic in that regard.

BlackBoar.JPG-nggid03996-ngg0dyn-0x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.JPG

Bland and watery. Easily the worst of White Hag's offerings (the other stuff I've tasted has been quite good)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

penev10 wrote: »
    [

Not very nice. Difficult to get past the powdery faux-chocolate presence. Bit like triple-chocoholic in that regard.

amazing how others tastes differ, i think it is an outstanding drink

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Brewers & Union Friday an Uber IPA !!

It's a German IPA and it's not bad. It's got a hint of pepper in the after taste it's got an Intresting flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Picked up a few in Sweeney's.

Odell's 90 Shilling, an old favourite of mine.
    Naparbier Aker
    Thornbridge Bear State
    JAck Cody's Hail Glorious St Patrick
    and an Ola Dubh to finish the evening with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Bland and watery. Easily the worst of White Hag's offerings (the other stuff I've tasted has been quite good)

10% and brewed with oatmeal, yet you describe it as watery. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a bottle of Blacks High Viz after the people talking about it during the week. Very nice with hints of mango and pineapple. Starts sweet and malty, then the hops come into play and it has a bitter finish.

Also had a bottle of Laguintas sucks. I had it last week in on tap in 57 The Headline and really liked it. The bottle while still nice wasn't as nice as on tap. It didn't seem as complex.

On Thursday I was in Bull and Castle and had a Five Lamps Dark IPA. It seemed like a decent base stout but the overall beer didn't work. The stout was too roasty for the hops and it was too unbalanced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Couple bottles of Full Irish over the weekend. Fantastic beer.

Also had an OFAF which I got full on blood orange from. My beer buddy concurred. But I didn't get it previously. Do bottles vary anybody reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Also had an OFAF which I got full on blood orange from. My beer buddy concurred. But I didn't get it previously. Do bottles vary anybody reckon?

The last bottle I had definitely tasted very orangey to me, I have had similar orange taste from a few other IPA recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

An orange flavour, or more commonly described as a marmalade flavour, would be a very common flavour in any high abv IPAs.

I remember getting more blood orange off it when I had the cask one in Brew Dock. And then the odd time in bottles, it came through more. It's always fantastic, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

BaZmO* wrote: »
    An orange flavour, or more commonly described as a marmalade flavour, would be a very common flavour in any high abv IPAs.

I've gotten general citrus and the grapefruit commonly enough, but this was very much blood orange, like the sanguinello juice Tropicana do, rather than marmalade.

It was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Had a few pints on Manchester pale ale on cask yesterday before the UTD game, then had a few btls of Kozel dark when i got home last night.

Thought Lagunitas Sucks was fantastic.

nUth5DU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had a can of Metalmans smoked chilli stout tonight, decent, couldnt get anything smoky though. The mild chilli heat came through quite late on as it got to room temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a can of Metalmans smoked chilli stout tonight, decent, couldnt get anything smoky though. The mild chilli heat came through quite late on as it got to room temp.

Really? I thought it was prominent enough. Fairly nice beer I thought, nothing special though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I was the reverse, could get the smokiness off it (wasn't over powering or anything) but couldn't get the chilli at all.

taste buds, eh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement