Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

One of the guys from Trouble is a big Bohs fan, so that might be a good starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Jaysis, I won't be drinking Dark Arts any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

noby wrote: »
    One of the guys from Trouble is a big Bohs fan, so that might be a good starting point.

Both of them are Bohs, they sponsor the fans team, Id be surprised if Trouble is not available in the bars now.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

drumswan wrote: »
    Both of them are Bohs, they sponsor the fans team, Id be surprised if Trouble is not available in the bars now.

Interesting. As a member I never knew! Up till last year there was no craft beer on offer. Bass has a long tradition with the club and I think is still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

That's the end of my Trouble Brewing days so!!

Have to say it was fairly epic stuff being back in Tolka on Friday enjoying a bottle of LF with the lads at half time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think I'm bored of Brew Dog Jack Hammer. SN Celebration, however, still holds a fire in my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Surprise surprise, another two cases of 200 fathoms has landed at the Brewdock. Apparently the last two cases!
    Until they get another few anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

slayerking wrote: »
    Surprise surprise, another two cases of 200 fathoms has landed at the Brewdock. Apparently the last two cases!
    Until they get another few anyway.

Ha, I was thinking that when I saw the update. Although in fairness to them they never said that all the previous cases were the last ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Only 1 bottle left now

matrim wrote: »
    Only 1 bottle left now

Seaneh's been in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I was in there at about 1:30pm today and they had just sold the last one

they said it was definitely the last last one

hopefully I'll get one next time the last batch comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Not the right thread really but might get a better response here.

I will be over near Drumcondra/Kilbarrack area of Dublin today.
    I have never been to Martin or McHughs so which one would be best for me to goto?

wtf?

Drumcondra/Kilbarrack is not an area!

Is Martin's in Fairview? If you are in Drumcondra go there, down the Richmond Rd past Tolka and into Fairview.

If you are in Kilbarrack then go to McHugh's, as that's actually in Kilbarrack.

I don't think Martin's has as wide a choice as Mchugh's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

wtf?

Drumcondra/Kilbarrack is not an area!

Is Martin's in Fairview? If you are in Drumcondra go there, down the Richmond Rd past Tolka and into Fairview.

If you are in Kilbarrack then go to McHugh's, as that's actually in Kilbarrack.

I don't think Martin's has as wide a choice as Mchugh's though.

Of course it is, tis d'Northside!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Of course it is, tis d'Northside!

Ciaran is from Ballymun in that case. :pac:

Wow next time I will say the exact roads I will be on to stop the area confusion.:P

I will be in in those 2 areas anyway so I think I will stop in McHughs so for the wider range.

Don't quote me on that one, I've not been in Martin's in a few years - but McHugh's in Artane is always worth a visit, so I think the Kilbarrack store should be good.

Don't quote me on that one, I've not been in Martin's in a few years - but McHugh's in Artane is always worth a visit, so I think the Kilbarrack store should be good.

If it goes bad we know who to blame so :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

I'm probably going to be roasted for this but...I find O'Hara's IPA & DIPA to be mediocre at best.

Neither seem to have any hop profile of note, the former tasting like it's been infused with wet hay rather than hops (the same goes for the McGrath's Aldi clone) & the latter to be syrupy alcohol,.

Maybe I've been spoiled with the likes of SN Torpedo, Goose Island, Modus Hoperandi, OF&F etc., but even at 2 for €6 in Tesco for the OH DIPA, I would pass.

I'm not anti OH, indeed their Leann Folláin is superb, but when it comes to pale ales, they just don't shape up IMHO

MonstaMash wrote: »
    I'm probably going to be roasted for this but....

Nope, not around here :)

O'Hara's IPA is not an IPA, it's an IPA. which means their DIPA is not a DIPA it's a DIPA.

It depends how you say the "I" though.

"ooooohhh you mean it's a DIPA and not a DIPA"
    "Yes"

You gotta be a style nazi, don't you know.

• Advertisement

O'Haras Pale Ale is a superb beer, especially on draught. Easily my favourite Irish sessioner.

Style-wise, it is totally unrelated to the likes of Modus or OF&F.

MonstaMash wrote: »
    I'm probably going to be roasted for this but...I find O'Hara's IPA & DIPA to be mediocre at best.

Neither seem to have any hop profile of note, the former tasting like it's been infused with wet hay rather than hops (the same goes for the McGrath's Aldi clone) & the latter to be syrupy alcohol,.

Maybe I've been spoiled with the likes of SN Torpedo, Goose Island, Modus Hoperandi, OF&F etc., but even at 2 for €6 in Tesco for the OH DIPA, I would pass.

I'm not anti OH, indeed their Leann Folláin is superb, but when it comes to pale ales, they just don't shape up IMHO

I was drinking IPA last week on draught and found it way hoppier than the bottle version.

PLus its an Irish Pale ale and not an IPA. Oh God dont want to go down this path!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

ciaran76 wrote: »
    its an Irish Pale ale and not an IPA.
    True, but even traditional English pale ale eg., Proper Job has a semblance of hops to them, I just think O'Hara's is bland compared to these even :eek:

I find O'Hara's IPA tastes different nearly every time I have a bottle of it. It's always decent though.

On a side note, McHugh's Artane is approximately halfway between Martin's and McHugh's Kilbarrack :pac:

I was drinking IPA last week on draught and found it way hoppier than the bottle version.

PLus its an Irish Pale ale and not an IPA. Oh God dont want to go down this path!

Whats with that, the malt profile seems different from the bottle too. Ive never done a blind tasting with it, would be interesting.

Like it or not, styles influence peoples perceptions of beer, much the same as colour does.

BMJD wrote: »
    On a side note, McHugh's Artane is approximately halfway between Martin's and McHugh's Kilbarrack :pac:

Which one is better?

Which one is better?

much the same really, I would be in the Artane one a lot more often so I know it better. The staff in either are friendly and helpful. Parking can be a problem at both stores too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Speaking of IPA and IPA, I had a bottle of Kinnegar's Maddyroe. It's a dark red IPA and there is plenty of dry going on with it. Well impressed with it but truth be known all of their brews have been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Oxman brown ale, 5.8%, produced by the Brown Paper Bag Project.

Lovely stuff, creamy, oily.

I don't have a sophisticated palate, but I think this beer is above average.

4.50 for a 33cl bottle in a pub - not bad value for what seems to be very good quality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Speaking of IPA and IPA, I had a bottle of Kinnegar's Maddyroe. It's a dark red IPA and there is plenty of dry going on with it. Well impressed with it but truth be known all of their brews have been excellent.

Absolutely loved that stuff, they had in on draught in mulligans and i call in on saturday after walking in the mountains, it was the perfect beer after a long hike, refreshing and hoppy, but still loads of body.

Bought a load of bottles in drinkstore too, but it seems to be gone everywhere now. Was hoping it would be at the beerfest in the ifsc but no dice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement