Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I got both the smokiness and the chilli but just enough and not too strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I got neither and thought it tasted like a lager. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Had a can of Metalmans smoked chilli stout tonight, decent, couldnt get anything smoky though. The mild chilli heat came through quite late on as it got to room temp.

The smokiness is there, but not to the level of Smog Rocket. It took me two cans before I got any Heat. I've been disappointed by Metalman in a can so far. Blacks still rule the Cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Metalmans brews are all very subtle, the cans are no different. The KPA I had in a can was terrible, hopefully it was just the first batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Really? I thought it was prominent enough. Fairly nice beer I thought, nothing special though.
    Bought the can cold from a fridge, i dont like my stouts cold so maybe that had an effect.
    I was the reverse, could get the smokiness off it (wasn't over powering or anything) but couldn't get the chilli at all.

taste buds, eh?

Ya i didnt get the chilli until halfway through and it had gotten closer to room temp by then too, was just the right amount of heat for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have been drinking 8 Degrees Millennium recently. Described as an Imperial IPA, 10% ABV.

I'm not into fruity IPA / PA, but this grew on me.

No alcohol burn, even at 10%.

4.00 per glass, or 8 per pint [not sold to all customers]

Also tried White Hag Searbh Rua Imperial Sour, 7.2%.

As a big fan of geuze, this didn't have the spritziness that I associate with good quality geuze.

3.20 per glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

10% and brewed with oatmeal, yet you describe it as watery. Amazing.

I posted the wrong picture. It was the 5.2% white sow milk stout I was referring to.

My go to stouts are Buried at Sea and Left Hands Nitro so that's my benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

penev10 wrote: »
    10% and brewed with oatmeal, yet you describe it as watery. Amazing.[/
    Quote]
    I posted the wrong picture. It was the 5.2% white sow milk stout I was referring to.

I found their 10.2% Black boar stout very hit and miss from the bottle, on tap it's nice. As for the white sow I'm not a fan of the reguar draught or the bottles, but they now have a coffee infused bottle, which I quite like. Also I've tried the nitro version on draught which I found fantastic. It was the carbonation from the regular draught was what I disliked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

penev10 wrote: »

I had a bottle of Buried at Sea there a few weeks back i found it to be the worst milk / Chocolate Stout i have ever had in my life it just tasted a small bit wrong and was not able to get a hint of anything from it.

But i had my 2nd bottle of cocoa psycho last night now that is what you call a Stout and now has replaced the Broklen Double Chocolate Stout as my fave. But at 7 euros a bottle the cocoa psycho wont be something i be having often at all.

I have a bottle of Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout now to try for the weekend at 8.50 a bottle it better be good LoL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Geuze wrote: »
    Also tried White Hag Searbh Rua Imperial Sour, 7.2%.

As a big fan of geuze, this didn't have the spritziness that I associate with good quality geuze.

3.20 per glass.

I've had The White Hag Heather Sour Ale.
    Not sure if it's the same beer.
    It's more in the style of a Flemish Red Ale than a Geuze which would be fizzier and much paler.

I thought it was outstanding.
    Proper sour.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had a bottle of Buried at Sea there a few weeks back i found it to be the worst milk / Chocolate Stout i have ever had in my life it just tasted a small bit wrong and was not able to get a hint of anything from it.

I'm a big fan of Buried At Sea. Absolutely love the stuff. Funny how two people can have such different reactions to the same product!
    I have a bottle of Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout now to try for the weekend at 8.50 a bottle it better be good LoL.

Had this twice during the summer. 'Tis beautiful. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Tap list on my trip a week ago. Got to try 8 of the cantillons, including Zwanze which ran out in like 5 minutes
    QMsX6fU.jpg

I've had The White Hag Heather Sour Ale.
    Not sure if it's the same beer.
    It's more in the style of a Flemish Red Ale than a Geuze which would be fizzier and much paler.

I thought it was outstanding.
    Proper sour.

Okay, fair enough, more like a Rodenbach, okay.

You're tempting me to go down town now................

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Having a bottle of The Chancer from O'Brother. I've tasted it before and remember liking it but it wasn't great tonight.

The first few sips seemed kind of stale and bubblegummy and not very nice. As I got down into it a bit more it was nicer and I could start to get some grapefruit and hop bitterness but overall I wasn't impressed.

I'd like to try it again on draft to see if it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

but it wasn't great tonight.
    I also had a bottle ... and much preferred it on draught.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had a bottle of Siren Undercurrent last night, everything ive had from them has been superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Shared some stouts last night. Stormy port v good. Dark arts was so so. Bit watery. Founders imp stout wasn't v nice at all. V bitter and could taste all the alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Geuze wrote: »
    Okay, fair enough, more like a Rodenbach, okay.

You're tempting me to go down town now................

I would have said yes, but I've realised that we're talking about 2 different beers., both sour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Trooper 666 one of the Iron Maiden beers.

It's actually not bad but it's 6.6%. It's malty in an English bitter type way but has a sweetness like caramel taste also.

• Advertisement

Speaking of gimmicky beers (:pac:), I picked up 4 of them Francis IPA from McGargles in Dunnes for 8 quid.

Decent price for 1.3l of 7.1% beer.

Also got a Grafters for a compare & contrast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Speaking of gimmicky beers (:pac:), I picked up 4 of them Francis IPA from McGargles in Dunnes for 8 quid.

Decent price for 1.3l of 7.1% beer.

Also got a Grafters for a compare & contrast

Francis is their best one yet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Trooper 666 one of the Iron Maiden beers.

It's actually not bad but it's 6.6%. It's malty in an English bitter type way but has a sweetness like caramel taste also.

I really liked it too. The lead singer Bruce Dickinson is really into his traditional ales so I'd imagine he had a good input into the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭flended12

Brewdog Jackhammer last night. Superb

Picked up a can of Pistonhead Kustom Lager in my local Molloys last night. Wasn't aware that it was a pretty generic lager. The packaging would make you believe it was something it bit more special like the likes of Beavertown.

Alright for what it was taste wise but it's just a nice lager, but there are lots more lagers out there of equal or better quality for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

flended12 wrote: »
    Brewdog Jackhammer last night. Superb

It really is.

Jaysis the difference between Grafters and Francis IPA is night and day, the BB date on the Grafters is 07/16 and the Francis is 08/16, so assume bottles a month apart this year.

The Francis is a proper fruity, citrus beer, like you'd expect.

Grafter's seems like it has no aroma hops at all, just a ton of bittering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Francis is their best one yet

Definitely is, I can see myself drinking it regularly given its so easily got and decently priced.

Wild Beer - Tom Yum Gose. Really complex and different beer. Odd one but really enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Last night: a bottle of 8 Degrees' Millennium (bought at off-licence) and two pints of Beamish.

Tonight: quick pint of Goodbye Blue Monday at the Salt House, then a bottle of High Viz from Kinsale.

Two good nights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement