Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A very surprisingly enjoyable Perlenbacher Schwarzbier from Lidl, i do love a Schwarzbier though so that may be clouding my judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

A 750ml bottle of 'Duc de Coeur French Strong Pale Ale', ABV 7% from Lidl €2.99

Inoffensive offering, no hop bomb by any stretch of the imagination, but actually not that bad :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Bru Darkside IPA last night. I didn't read the bottle before buying this and has assumed it was a Black IPA. It's not and is more of an APA. It's a dark ruby colour with a strong fruity grapefruit hops and a nice bit of malt but not too much. Only slight downside is a slight sour twang that took away from the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Was in Weatherspoons Blanch. Had Devils backbone which I think is fairly good IPA and then had a few amazing Bengali. I really like that and at 3.45 it's not a bad price in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Back from a trip to Oktoberfest in Munich. Had my fill of Hofbrau, Augustiner Lowenbrau and Hacker Pschorr along with great big slices of meat. I feel like I should have nothing but vegetables and water for the next while after all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Maybe Next Monday.

Maybe another one today. Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I had a bottle of Grafters IPA earlier, it's quite nice.

A tasty bottle of Affligem with dinner, forgot how solid it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

matrim wrote: »
    Had a Bru Darkside IPA last night. I didn't read the bottle before buying this and has assumed it was a Black IPA. It's not and is more of an APA. It's a dark ruby colour with a strong fruity grapefruit hops and a nice bit of malt but not too much. Only slight downside is a slight sour twang that took away from the finish.

I've actually skipped over this a few times because I'm kind of "over" black IPA's at the moment, might give it a try now though!

Had a Siren Broken Dream last night. As usual another lovely beer from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Some shops in Madrid are really pushing Oktoberfest at the moment. Spanish tastes tend to favour German beers and malty Belgians when buying anything other than local lagers, in my experience. I'm not complaining though. I bought four Hofbrau bottles for less than a fiver.

So far I've been enjoying their dunkel, though the Oktoberfest beer I had earlier in the week was also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Went down to sweetmans for their Oktoberfest weekend, very disappointed. They advertised a new Oktoberfest beer... they had none, something about them having too much of their summer seasonal still available.
    In fact they had nothing even remotely Oktoberfesty apart from a 'hotdog' on the menu.

So, McGargle's new IPA is lovely. Picked some up after seeing positive reviews.
    Still hate their branding and think the vast majority of Rye River's stuff is carbonated horse piss in bottles, but this and the new stout are really solid beers.

€8 for 4 bottle in Dunnes at the moment, great value for a beer of that quality, 7.1% abv and brim full of hops.

slayerking wrote: »
    Went down to sweetmans for their Oktoberfest weekend, very disappointed. They advertised a new Oktoberfest beer... they had none, something about them having too much of their summer seasonal still available.
    In fact they had nothing even remotely Oktoberfesty apart from a 'hotdog' on the menu.

That would kill me. Why bother advertising it if it's not actually happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

A very surprisingly enjoyable Perlenbacher Schwarzbier from Lidl, i do love a Schwarzbier though so that may be clouding my judgement.

that the Schwarzbier can ?
    Got one during the week to try and thought it was very nice as well, so picked up a half dozen yesterday. Very nice for the price. 1.49 for 500ml

Some bottles I had recently for the first time...

- Brewdog - Candy Kaiser. Got this because style is Alt Bier from Dusseldorf but maybe its just the rose tinted glasses, it didn't taste as nice as any of the Alt's I had over there. Not a bad beer, just not a great one.

- Bier Morretti - Italian larger, struggled to finish.

- Goudale - 6 pack from Aldi. Very tasty beer and great value. Will be keeping an eye out for this whenever its in stock in Aldi

- Williams Brothers - Fraoch (Heather Ale) Very nice, light, refreshing and very tasty. Will defo be purchasing again.

Had a Rascals Holy Schmidt Pale Ale at the weekend. Really nice and refreshing. It's a light enough body but just enough to setup the hops which aren't overpowering. A really nice session-able beer.

that the Schwarzbier can ?
    Got one during the week to try and thought it was very nice as well, so picked up a half dozen yesterday. Very nice for the price. 1.49 for 500ml

Some bottles I had recently for the first time...

- Brewdog - Candy Kaiser. Got this because style is Alt Bier from Dusseldorf but maybe its just the rose tinted glasses, it didn't taste as nice as any of the Alt's I had over there. Not a bad beer, just not a great one.

- Bier Morretti - Italian larger, struggled to finish.

- Goudale - 6 pack from Aldi. Very tasty beer and great value. Will be keeping an eye out for this whenever its in stock in Aldi

- Williams Brothers - Fraoch (Heather Ale) Very nice, light, refreshing and very tasty. Will defo be purchasing again.
    Thats the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It's raining, so just got a few Kinnegar Crossroads from the local Centra. Good value for €3-50.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Samuel Adams Rebel IPA.

Nice enough. Not sure I'd go out of my way to get it again, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yup, this McGargles new IPA passes the test. Good value at 4 for 8 quid. 7.1%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

It's raining, so just got a few Kinnegar Crossroads from the local Centra. Good value for €3-50.

Lucky man, the best my local shop has is overpriced Paulaner

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

RasTa wrote: »
    Yup, this McGargles new IPA passes the test. Good value at 4 for 8 quid. 7.1%.

Snap.

I like it. Very drinkable though, the four pack could disappear too quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

142213.jpg

Kenmare Irish Porter

Watery, minimal carbonation, modest head. Tastes like there's some interesting flavours in this Porter but the dry, thin texture just doesn't allow them to shine. Picked it up in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Passenger wrote: »
    142213.jpg

Kenmare Irish Porter

Watery, minimal carbonation, modest head. Tastes like there's some interesting flavours in this Porter but the dry, thin texture just doesn't allow them to shine. Picked it up in Tesco.

I couldn't finish this, reminded me of drinking from a can someone had put a smoke out in years ago, hopefully it was just an off bottle but won't be buying again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Little Creatures Pale Ale bought in Tesco's Nenagh €2.99

Lovely, lovely, lovely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Against The Grain has Cocoa Wonderland on tap at the moment...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

matrim wrote: »
    Had a Rascals Holy Schmidt Pale Ale at the weekend. Really nice and refreshing. It's a light enough body but just enough to setup the hops which aren't overpowering. A really nice session-able beer.

Just having a pint now. Very refreshing and seasonable indeed. Lovely piney bitterness to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Porterhouse have schlenkerla rauchbier as The 4 Euro bottle of the day. I know what I'm drinking for the night :)
    Tis a cracking good beer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Porterhouse have schlenkerla rauchbier as The 4 Euro bottle of the day. I know what I'm drinking for the night :)
    Tis a cracking good beer

Great deal, enjoy :)

• Advertisement

€7.50 for a maß of Metalman. Perfect fodder after a long day in the office... The sooner thus rotating and I go back to the field, the better!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement