Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

€7.50 for a maß of Metalman. Perfect fodder after a long day in the office... The sooner thus rotating and I go back to the field, the better!

Where is this deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Where is this deal?

I posted it a few pages back. Malthouse Athlone. All draft beers for that. They have Metalman, Bo Bristle IPA, Sheepstealer and a few others on.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Just thought I'd add to the chorus of approval for McGargles' Francis IPA. Proper American-style fruity hoppy fare at a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Black Donkey Scythe Belgian Pale Ale, very enjoyable, yeasty nose, lightly hopped, very drinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

JJ's Craft Brewing Co. - Abbey Stout

Probably up there with the worst stouts I've tried. Terrible effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Galway Bay Eternalist (keg at beer market)
    Can't get much more carbonated than this. I thought it tasted like CO2 and brett, mostly. Not very tart, raspberries are missing in action and not much barrel character either. Still, it's not bad, but quite underwhelming. Kinnegar Geuzberry still the best Irish sour for me!

O'Brother - The Fixer

This is sooooo bitter. Actually finding it hard to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

snowblind wrote: »
    Can't get much more carbonated than this. I thought it tasted like CO2 and brett, mostly. Not very tart, raspberries are missing in action and not much barrel character either. Still, it's not bad, but quite underwhelming. Kinnegar Geuzberry still the best Irish sour for me!

Just had this on tap there myself an hour ago. Agree with high carbonation, a bit off-putting. Definitely one of the subtler sours I tried. I found the nose had a very pleasant mild raspberries, almost yoghurty on the palate (!) with a dry finish. Very drinkable all the same.

Had the GBB Godspeed after for comparisons sake which is much more full-bodied and straight-forward.

Either way an interesting experiment. Only one keg in the Beer Market so get in there pronto if you're interested, otherwise 11.25 a bottle (which I also helped myself to!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

snowblind wrote: »

I had a bottle and found it quite subtle. Not loads going on for me personally. Agree on the Kinnegar tho.loved it at the big grill. Is it about Dublin off licenses now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

symbolic wrote: »
    I had a bottle and found it quite subtle. Not loads going on for me personally. Agree on the Kinnegar tho.loved it at the big grill. Is it about Dublin off licenses now?

http://www.drinkstore.ie/Kinnegar-Geuzberry-500ML-5391524740202/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

was in drinkstore yesterday and they've no Kinnegar Guezeberry left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Anybody try the White Gypsy Belgian Sour?

I liked it quite a bit, a nice refreshing 4% drink (at least I think it's 4%).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Just thought I'd add to the chorus of approval for McGargles' Francis IPA. Proper American-style fruity hoppy fare at a great price.

Wouldn't usually be a fan of their stuff I've tasted (the red ale and the stout) but this is decent. And as said already at 7.1%, it's good value for the price.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anybody try the White Gypsy Belgian Sour?

I liked it quite a bit, a nice refreshing 4% drink (at least I think it's 4%).

I think I got to try it back at the Fran Well beer festival, but most of that evening is only a hazy memory at this stage. :o I did get to talk to the brewer himself for a while, which was pretty nice.

Trying Galway Bay's In Bloom: Gorse Flower wit beer tonight. Enjoying it more than I expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Got 3 kinnegar geuzberry. Love it. Only my second sour beer so dint have much to compare it against. Have a mariage parfait ready to go

Really wanna try this Francis ipa now. I liked the cousin rosies pale ale so this being better than the rest of their stuff augers well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Having a St. Mel's Neomexicanus at the moment. It's a bit disappointing. I was expecting a bit more of a hop presence, but whatever presence I am getting is being over powered by the malts. Maybe it might just be because the bottle is a bit old now and some of the hop flavor has faded a bit.

Having a St. Mel's Neomexicanus at the moment. It's a bit disappointing. I was expecting a bit more of a hop presence, but whatever presence I am getting is being over powered by the malts. Maybe it might just be because the bottle is a bit old now and some of the hop flavor has faded a bit.

It's an extremely subtle wild hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I suppose this isn't the right website for this question, but where's good for craft beers in London?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

folamh wrote: »
    I suppose this isn't the right website for this question, but where's good for craft beers in London?
    The Craft Beer Co chain, the BrewDog chain, Euston Tap, Holborn Whippet, the brewing districts around Hackney and Bermondsey. Loads of options; it depends where you are. And what you mean by "craft beers", I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Oh dear, Darts tonight in Citywest.

Murphy's
    Heino
    Brand Orchard Theives

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh dear, Darts tonight in Citywest.

Murphy's
    Heino
    Brand Orchard Theives

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Murphy's is grand. Better stout than Guinness anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think I'll go Belgian for the night. The last two bottles from my Trappistes Rochefort gift-pack are calling me. Numbers 8 and 10. Perfect for a quiet night in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

It'll be Smithwicks or Cousin Rosie's pale ale for me tonight, unless I smuggle my Modus Hoperandi in with me :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ranger IPA from Wicklow Wolf - nice but the difference between this and their regular IPA either doesn't exist or its psychological because it was minor if not, non existent.

Followed by Dixie pale ale from Jack Codys - Nice today, they seem to have quite alot of variability but it was good today, it's never been bad, just less good on occasion, had some jelly sweets on the side which really messed with the flavour but not negatively.

Finally Sheep Stealer from Black Donkey, a nice Saison quite refreshing but better when you throw it all in, and knock the yeast onto the head. Nice without it though as I had tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I haven't been able to find any sour beers to try. I've had my eyes open for that Geuzeberry from Kinnegar since I heard of it at the beer fest in the RDS. No sign of it anywhere in Sligo and no sign of it when I was in Letterkenny recently, which is only down the road from the brewery. I've yet to be disappointed with any of their beers. Managed to pick up a Crossroads which I haven't tried.

Another sour that I can't seem to find is the White Hag Imperial Sour. I know it exists because I've seen the boxes and 4 pack holders... And the guys that work there have told me about it.

Anyways, besides that Crossroads I've this years Oktoberfest from White Hag waiting, hopefully it's nicer than last years one as I thought their Fleadh Ale was a big disappointment from last years.

Brú - Darkside IPA

Really strange one this because it tastes exactly like one of my first homebrews efforts. It's actually scary how similar they are. Looks, smells, tastes identical. :D

Also had some McGargles Cousin Francis IPA last night. Best I've had from them, which I know isn't hard, but this one really really stands up. Plus the price is great considering the abv. The packaging is still ridiculously cringey though, but hey, as long as the beer is good it doesn't matter. :)

I am in flavour country. It is a big country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

In the fridge tonight:

Founders Porter, Founders Imperial Stout, Wrasslers Stout, Brehon Shanco Dubh and Beavertown 8 Ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

8 degrees The Full Irish, its my go to beer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement