Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

So whats everyones fave Porterhouse, White Hog and Founders beer ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Wrasslers, Black Boar, Breakfast Stout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Not been in a Porterhouse since I don't know when.

I like Plain, or Wrasslers.

White Hag. I've not ahd the full range but I liked the White IPA.

Founders? Centennial.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Porterhouse - Wrasslers XXXX

White Hag - Bran & Sceolan Irish IPA

Founders - Porter

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Have yet to see it in dunnes or tesco in Galway, Dunnes Edward square have never had mcgargles as far as I remember.

Dunnes Edward Square does stock McGargles, including the Francis IPA. I picked it up there last week.

• Advertisement

White hag white saw would people drink that say if they where out for a meal ?

As i would myself but wondering would others drink a chuc and outmail sout with a meal

are you drinking at the moment?

I'd drink a more subtle flavoured ale with a meal to be honest, I think big hoppy beers ruin anything other than a hot curry.

I do like a nice cold fresh lager with chips too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dunnes Edward Square does stock McGargles, including the Francis IPA. I picked it up there last week.

My blindness has obviously gotten worse,will head for a look in a while,cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Joekers wrote: »
    Brewdogs Lizard Bride a sour berry ipa and it tastes fantastically sour highly recommended and a Founders Dark Penance which is always reliable
    I really liked that one. Like a cranberry IPA.

PH: Plain or Hop Head

WH: Haven't really tried much of their stuff but I really like the Black Boar.

F: It'd have to be KBS when you can get it, but I really love Centennial as it'd be one of my go-to beers. It's such a great IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Picked up a few beers today, got Troper 666 for a mate of mine. for myself i got Pokertree's Seven sisters treacle stout, WW American amber and Black Elder by Beoir chorca dhuibhne.

im on the look out for Northbound Brewery no33 Sticke Alt but no luck yet in finding it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

blueshed wrote: »
    im on the look out for Northbound Brewery no33 Sticke Alt but no luck yet in finding it.

Distributed by Four Corners so should be available anywhere you can get Brewdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

In Cardiff for the weekend. Any recommendation?

matrim wrote: »
    In Cardiff for the weekend. Any recommendation?

Tiny Rebel brewpub, it's called Urban Taphouse.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

blueshed wrote: »

I got it in Molloys in Clonsilla, so if you're near any of their branches I'd say they should have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Having an Eternalist. I may spring for another.

Drinking my bottle of Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout its fantastic in every way so nice to drink its 9.2% and 650ML this going to go down to easy :eek:

O'Shea's Winter Spice Ale. If I was handed this and told nothing I'd certainly not think it had spices in it. It's a pretty bland red ale imo.

Hopefully the Amber Ale is a bit better.

O'Shea's Winter Spice Ale. If I was handed this and told nothing I'd certainly not think it had spices in it. It's a pretty bland red ale imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Just had one myself and thought the same... As spicy as a korma

the amber is like a watered down O'Hara's Pale Ale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Friday night tipples:

Brew Dog Candy Kaiser: Lovely malty goodness, not as clean and refreshing as its German-made brethren,
    but the bite adds to its nicely rounded, slight nuttiness taste.

Dungarvan/Nogne O Seaweed Saison: Never really thought too much of Dungarvans but this is a decent Saison.
    Not too strong in any flavour department and tastes almost like a Tripel but with mild lacto/lambic sour,
    a honeyish bouquette and saltiness which makes it taste like something with more body.

Omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar Imperial IPA: Sickly-syrupy and overpowering but still delicious! This stuff is practically
    hop syrup once it has warmed a bit... Lovely citrus and caramel taste combo with a lesser tropical fruit tang.
    Cool labels on this brewer's beers, that's how you know they are Scandinavian in origin I guess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Friday night tipples:

Brew Dog Candy Kaiser: Lovely malty goodness, not as clean and refreshing as its German-made brethren,
    but the bite adds to its nicely rounded, slight nuttiness taste.

Dungarvan/Nogne O Seaweed Saison: Never really thought too much of Dungarvans but this is a decent Saison.
    Not too strong in any flavour department and tastes almost like a Tripel but with mild lacto/lambic sour,
    a honeyish bouquette and saltiness which makes it taste like something with more body.

Omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar Imperial IPA: Sickly-syrupy and overpowering but still delicious! This stuff is practically
    hop syrup once it has warmed a bit... Lovely citrus and caramel taste combo with a lesser tropical fruit tang.
    Cool labels on this brewer's beers, that's how you know they are Scandinavian in origin I guess :D

Stone Old Guardian - Extra Hoppy 2015

Described as a Barley Wine Style Ale but I reckon it's more of a Triple IPA than a Barley Wine (which is probably the same thing) but still a top notch beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Not to get into a tedious argument about styles, but there's a definite difference between tipa's and barleywines. Although they do seem to be occasionally mislabeled as you've mentioned. You may find this on the brewdog site bazmo, if you want a serious barleywine(there's no mistaking what this style is). Absolutely stunning beer

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/42346/

Not to get into a tedious argument about styles, but there's a definite difference between tipa's and barleywines. Although they do seem to be occasionally mislabeled as you've mentioned. You may find this on the brewdog site bazmo, if you want a serious barleywine(there's no mistaking what this style is). Absolutely stunning beer

I think my memory may have let me down, and Old Guardian was absolutely amazing too, and more of a barleywine than tipa imo

jsa112 wrote: »

I think my memory may have let me down, and Old Guardian was absolutely amazing too, and more of a barleywine than tipa imo

Why is everybody double posting?

Anyway, don't worry, nobody is going to argue with you ;)

I just thought it was too sweet and malty to be a Barley Wine, plus they do actually describe it as a Barley Wine "style" Ale.

As it happens I'm having what I'm describe as a classic Barley Wine at the moment, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, which I absolutely love.

I actually have one of those Hvedegoop to get through which I'm looking forward to. :)

edit:- And while we're being pedantic, Hvedegoop is actually a Wheat Wine rather than a Barley Wine. ;)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Why is everybody double posting?

The site has been laggy as feck for the last week or so, and when it's laggy you get stupid errors and when using the mobile version or the app and it lags you get multiposts.

Someone needs to change the hamster food.

The site has been laggy as feck for the last week or so, and when it's laggy you get stupid errors and when using the mobile version or the app and it lags you get multiposts.

Someone needs to change the hamster food.

Yeah, I've tried to delete the double posts but it's taking ages. Stupid drunk hamsters!

I just thought it was too sweet and malty to be a Barley Wine
    Lot of barleywines are like that, seems that UK style BW's are sweet, while American styles are more similar to Bigfoot. Founders Bolt Cutter, Brooklyn Hand and Seal are both very sweet and malty. Weird Beard in UK have a really sweet one. Prefer them like Bigfoot myself.
    Hvedegoop is actually a Wheat Wine rather than a Barley Wine
    Wasn't that sweet from what I remember, super beer. Had a 2010 Alesmith's old numbskull, best barleywine I've had, but their wheat wine Decadence was so sweet. Avoid the latter and buy old numbskull if you get the chance, wont let you down.

• Advertisement

jsa112 wrote: »
    Lot of barleywines are like that, seems that UK style BW's are sweet, while American styles are more similar to Bigfoot. Founders Bolt Cutter, Brooklyn Hand and Seal are both very sweet and malty. Weird Beard in UK have a really sweet one. Prefer them like Bigfoot myself.

Wasn't that sweet from what I remember, super beer. Had a 2010 Alesmith's old numbskull, best barleywine I've had, but their wheat wine Decadence was so sweet. Avoid the latter and buy old numbskull if you get the chance, wont let you down.

Yeah Bolt Cutter is very malty and sweet, like a suped up DIPA I thought, and Old Numbskull is like liquid toffee. Both amazing beers.

But as usual, the blurring of lines when it comes to defining styles is always ever present.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement