Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Only had Odell Myrcenary once. Fantastic beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I live in France at the moment, where the beer here is all Belgian. Belgian beers are nice but theyre all wheaty and malty, and all kinda taste the same after a while. Theyre also very strong, 8-10% on average, and while thats fun, I find that the taste sometimes get lost in the alcohol.

I am coming back to visit on Friday and needless to say I will be drinking Kinnegars Scraggy Bay all week! God I miss Irish ales so much!

You poor man ;-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sour beers still don't suit my palate, but I'm glad to have tried Maybe Next Monday all the same.

I made the mistake of drinking 8 Degrees Vic Secret afterwards. The shift from sour to bitter was a shock to the system! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Is that a hoppy black IPA?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just had a millennium.

Normally what I call over hopped beers are not my cuppa tea, the ones with more hops than sense.

This was lovely, did not taste like 10%. Breathing in before a sip you get a lung full of freshness.

Easy to drink, fresh and not an over hopped for the sake of it bottle of muck.

Just right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Fyne Ales Sublime. Imperial Stout. Really very good indeed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

RasTa wrote: »
    Is that a hoppy black IPA?

It is indeed! It's gorgeous, like, but I should have had a sip of water or something between beers. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Had Trouble Brewing's new Oatmeal IPA recently. Very yum. Similar enough to GBB's Goodbye Blue Monday but I think I prefer the TB one. Name escapes me, sorry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

OneOfThem wrote: »
    Name escapes me, sorry.
    Hardwired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

OneOfThem wrote: »
    Had Trouble Brewing's new Oatmeal IPA recently. Very yum. Similar enough to GBB's Goodbye Blue Monday but I think I prefer the TB one. Name escapes me, sorry.
    This was beer of the festival this year for me - incredible aroma from it, a truly excellent IPA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Tin of Metalman Heatsink.

It's been in the fridge, so the initial sip wasn't very flavoursome beyond being "portery", not getting the smoke or heat. Going to let it warm up and hopefully develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Had a bottle of Founders KBS from Redmond's off-license last week. Absolutely beautiful, I can see what all the fuss is about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jesus this vic secret is delish. The taste I've being looking for in a black IPA for awhile.

They can do no wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Tried Smithwicks Blonde, Kenmare IPA and Clough More IPA over the last few days. Smithwicks Blonde was really, really light but quite nice. More lager-y than I expected. Clough More IPA, really strong taste, similar to Galway Hooker so wasn't for me!

Currently drinking Kenmare Irish Pale Ale. Delicious!! Not too strong or light of a taste. Bit of a stouty aftertaste to it actually! Not sure how else to describe it :P ... but really nice :D (4 for €10 for any of the above in SuperValu btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just had a millennium.

Normally what I call over hopped beers are not my cuppa tea, the ones with more hops than sense.

This was lovely, did not taste like 10%. Breathing in before a sip you get a lung full of freshness.

Easy to drink, fresh and not an over hopped for the sake of it bottle of muck.

Just right.

Sorry I didn't get more of them when they were around.

Just about to start on an O Brother Brutus.

After that, some realiables: Little Sumpin Extra, Full Irish and a Gamma Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Having an O'Btutus now. A lot more caramel/toffee flavours than I was expecting. Liking it so far. Where did you get the sump in extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had 3 from Ballast Point tonight. Sculpin, Grunion, and Calm Before the Storm. The first two are really nice and essentially seem to be different abv versions of each other. TheY both remind me of some BrewDog beers.

CBtS is really unusual, a Cream Ale with Coffee and Vanilla. It works really well, but you wouldn't have more than one in a session. Would make a nice dessert beer I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Red Wolf wrote: »
    Where did you get the sump in extra?

Deveneys in Dundrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had 3 from Ballast Point tonight. Sculpin, Grunion, and Calm Before the Storm. The first two are really nice and essentially seem to be different abv versions of each other. TheY both remind me of some BrewDog beers.

CBtS is really unusual, a Cream Ale with Coffee and Vanilla. It works really well, but you wouldn't have more than one in a session. Would make a nice dessert beer I reckon.

I had Sculpin for the first time in a while the last night (I find it very hit and miss, freshness is supposed to be a big issue with this) and loved it. It's the beer that really turned me on to craft beer.
    Niw Grunniin to me smelled like onions and sweaty sneakers, not a fan at all.

See if you can find Big Eye, it's more of a malty IPA and is cery nice also. Then there's Dorado which is 10%, and just a bit too much for me from an abv point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭flended12

8 degrees vic secret black ipa. Scrumdiddly

5 lamps lager. 7.5/10

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    See if you can find Big Eye, it's more of a malty IPA and is cery nice also. Then there's Dorado which is 10%, and just a bit too much for me from an abv point of view.

I have one of each to try, along with a few others :) so I'll keep you posted.

It's a brewery I've always wanted to try so luckily I was able to get my hands on a few of them. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I have one of each to try, along with a few others :) so I'll keep you posted.

It's a brewery I've always wanted to try so luckily I was able to get my hands on a few of them. So far so good.

Against the Grain will be selling it on tap shortly as well :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Watching the rugby and enjoying a bottle of Mad Hatter's gose style beer Liverpool Tart.

Really lovely blend of sour, salty and sweet. First impressions is salt and lemon and then the sourness comes through. Nice crisp malty grain finish just at the end brings it all together.

beer_329497.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Finally managed to get some Kinnegar Black Bucket. Been too long since I drank it!! Also picked up a few 13 Guns

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Karpat coffee stout at the Franciscan well festival. It is delicious. I also had a fruh kolsch that was like a Heineken but it went to a good college, got a master's, married well and bought a nice house.

When did the Ukraine start on craft? Great find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Buried At Sea in BD. Going to get a Godspeed when a friend arrives. He's not a craft nerd by any stretch but he loves sour flavours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

black bucket tonight, fantastic sup

Trond wrote: »
    Also picked up a few 13 Guns
    Fantastic beer.

Just had two beers from Modern Times, Black House (a stout with coffee), and Blazing World (an American Amber).

Black House is a pretty solid effort for a stout. Wouldn't have known the coffee was added though. It's one of those stouts where you can taste the coffee but you put that down to the roasted malts moreso than the additions.

Blazing World is amazing though, lots of sticky malts and resinous hops but put together expertly, could drink this one all night, but at 6.8% I wouldn't last long. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

One of my two locals has the new mcgargles pale on tap now. Need to be careful with it due to the 7.1% though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

had a couple bottles of Trouble's Sabotage last night. Its not as nice as I remembered

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement