Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Kinsale pale ale. Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Couple of pints of 8 degrees full irish, lovely stuff ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was out in Bray last night - first stop was The Martello, Fran Well Rebel Red in there, and a pint of what was ostensibly Brooklyn Lager - but it was a cloudy, almost homebrew tasting mess of something of I'm not quite sure what.

Moved next door into The Porterhouse where I had O Brother Chancer, Porterhouse Dublin Pale Ale on cask and Blacks of Kinsale Sour Brown Ale.

I really like Chancer.

There's not really much going on with the Dublin Pale, and Blacks should be done under the Trade Descriptions act for calling that brown ale a sour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Have some De la Senne Brusseleir Zwet IPA, Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout and De la Senne Jambe-de-Bois for later to help me through the first weekend of the LOI off season. Will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Was out in Bray last night - first stop was The Martello, Fran Well Rebel Red in there, and a pint of what was ostensibly Brooklyn Lager - but it was a cloudy, almost homebrew tasting mess of something of I'm not quite sure what.

Moved next door into The Porterhouse where I had O Brother Chancer, Porterhouse Dublin Pale Ale on cask and Blacks of Kinsale Sour Brown Ale.

I really like Chancer.

There's not really much going on with the Dublin Pale, and Blacks should be done under the Trade Descriptions act for calling that brown ale a sour.

our Xmas party is in the Martello, anything else on offer there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

blueshed wrote: »
    our Xmas party is in the Martello, anything else on offer there.

nope, slim pickings.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

nope, slim pickings.
    Be spending the evening in the Porterhouse then.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Jack Codys Curly Hole samhain ale. A pleasant brown ale. Like their Puck Pilsner an good first step drink for newcomers to craft beer.

Love the name also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Having a bottle of 8 degrees millennium tonight only beer i had at home.

Its very bitter like extremely LoL but tastes quite nice.

I was in the off lieance back at home and they have quite a few craft beers but everything was so short dated it was crazy must things only had a month or 2 left on them and not worth 3 euro + a bottle they looking for.

They had a deal on the Trouble Brewing Portor for 1 euro a bottle or 12 bottles for 10 euro but i could not work out a date from the bottle at all so i was not taking a risk buying a case of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Drinking some White Hag Imperial Oatmeal Stout. Very nice. Very malty for a stout, but it works well. Plenty of chocolate and coffee, smooth and does a very good job of hiding it's alcohol content, it doesn't feel like 10.2%. I had this on tap a few weeks ago and was impressed, I'm similarly impressed by it out of the bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Having a bottle of 8 degrees millennium tonight only beer i had at home.

Its very bitter like extremely LoL but tastes quite nice.

I was in the off lieance back at home and they have quite a few craft beers but everything was so short dated it was crazy must things only had a month or 2 left on them and not worth 3 euro + a bottle they looking for.

They had a deal on the Trouble Brewing Portor for 1 euro a bottle or 12 bottles for 10 euro but i could not work out a date from the bottle at all so i was not taking a risk buying a case of it.

The risk is low to non-existant. I've drank beer that's been up to 2 years out of date, and the worst thing that's ever happened to me is that the beer was a little less tasty than usual. Hoppy beers tend to lose their flavour the quickest.

You won't be poisoned, you won't spend the weekend on the toilet, you won't feel ill.

At those prices, you should go for it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

That stuff's pretty much bulletproof. I'd buy all they had at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Had a James Brown chocolate orange stout. Really enjoyed it. It took a few sips to get the orange but then it stayed to the end.
    Followed by a Lublin to Dublin. Lovely aroma but the taste hasn't fully lived up to my expectations from reading the reviews. I should have had them the other way round really.
    Moving on to a placebo craft, Guinness West Indies porter (at 3 for €7 it's not bad value). I have a Foreign Affair chilling but I might as well stick to the black stuff. It really is bland after the others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Spent a few days in Wisconsin/Minnesota, where the highlight was definitely a can of Surly Coffee Bender. After an evening of bitter hops, the coffee punched through both the hops and the jetlag. Wish I'd had an opportunity to pick some up to bring home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a few Galway Hooker and a Porterhouse celebration stout last night.

Galway Hooker is a bit grassier that I remember but still a nice easy to drink pale ale.

Celebration stout is possibly better than I remember and was a perfect way to end the night. I really need to try this again when I haven't been drinking for the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Celebration stout is very nice when it first comes out, doesn't age well at all though. Anybody tried O'Hara barrel aged leann follain ? Worth getting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

jsa112 wrote: »
    Celebration stout is very nice when it first comes out, doesn't age well at all though. Anybody tried O'Hara barrel aged leann follain ? Worth getting ?

I've only had the first version and thought it was only ok. A bit too weak in the body to pull off the barrrel aging. But I've heard good things about the later versions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Picked up a 1 litre can of Baltika 7 recently just for sh!ts and giggles. God it's woeful stuff.

@n97 mini

So which one did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

jsa112 wrote: »

Having a bottle now, very nice, wasn't mad on last year's but this year's is good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Wasn't mad on the Nogne imperial stout, did have 1/3 of Brooklyn Intensified before which might have killed my tastebuds

4 Dirty Bastard's for a tenner in McHugh's at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

RasTa wrote: »
    4 Dirty Bastard's for a tenner in McHugh's at the moment

How do you find the Dirty Bastards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Had a weekend planned without alcohol, but was Aldi yesterday and spotted a couple of O'Shea's seasonal specials - Dry hopped Amber Ale and Spiced Ale. Nothing to write home about. Hops weak in the Amber, and slight cinnamon taste off the the Spiced one. Both tasted like they were watered down. Neither will be part of my Christmas stock

For me, the O'Shea's range all taste watered down, with the exception of the stout, which is quite decent.

Obviously they're not actually watering them down, but that's the way it tastes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Rich, smooth and chocolatey. If it wasn't 10% I could drink it all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

8 Degrees
    -Millenium...WOW...great beer
    -Big River IPA...Decent beer, but Full Irish is far nicer

Victory Beer
    - Storm King, Imperial Stout. A bit underwhelmed by this to be honest, far from an expert but I didn't get any great flavours off this. Had a DoubleBock while waiting for stout to warm up a little after taking it out of the fridge, maybe I should have just waiting and had stout first.

Mcgargles Big Bangin IPA...
    At the current price point, this has to be one of the best IPA buys in the market.. (in my humble opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

Mcgargles Big Bangin IPA...
    At the current price point, this has to be one of the best IPA buys in the market.. (in my humble opinion)

1.75 a bottle....I feel like I am robbing Dunnes at this price since it's so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Am I the only one here who dosint rate 8 degree beers at all ?.

I had a bottle of Milenium at the weekend and I found it to be a bit meh and gave me a nasty headache afterwords the last time I had a bottle of 8 degrees it done the same to me.

I hate the hard-core IPA from brew dog at another lv to the Milenium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Am I the only one here who dosint rate 8 degree beers at all ?.

I had a bottle of Milenium at the weekend and I found it to be a bit meh and gave me a nasty headache afterwords the last time I had a bottle of 8 degrees it done the same to me.

I hate the hard-core IPA from brew dog at another lv to the Milenium

Had their Vic Secret over the weekend, thought it was another outstanding beer from them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement