Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,994 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Am I the only one here who dosint rate 8 degree beers at all ?.

I had a bottle of Milenium at the weekend and I found it to be a bit meh and gave me a nasty headache afterwords the last time I had a bottle of 8 degrees it done the same to me.

I hate the hard-core IPA from brew dog at another lv to the Milenium

I think you just don't like double/imperial IPAs

Despite being a huge fan of 8 Degrees, generally, I'm not that gone on Millennium either.
    I tried their new Big River Tasmanian IPA last night - it's another cracker from 8 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Either on Tap or out of a bottle Ive really like 8 Degrees Full Irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Amberella and Vic secret are exceptional.

I think millennium is very good. I think its the best Irish DIPA out there at the moment, not as good as the original Of Foam and Fury but its way better than the current version.

OFAF should be called bubbles and hissy fit at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

Anyone have any reports on where to find the elusive Big River Eight degrees beer around dublin north/city centre area?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Yarghhh wrote: »
    Anyone have any reports on where to find the elusive Big River Eight degrees beer around dublin north/city centre area?

If you are east sometime Blackrock beer cellar have it, a very nice beer. Very dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Trond wrote: »
    Either on Tap or out of a bottle Ive really like 8 Degrees Full Irish...

Full Irish is one of my go to beers. Really like it although never had it on tap.

I though Millennium was good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Eight degrees are always rock solid for me. Very consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Vic Secret, Full Irish and Sunburnt Red are all very good IMO. Had a Black Donkey Beyond Rye Pale Ale Saturday night, nice and biscuity, little bitterness and some sweetness, not a bad effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Lucena wrote: »
    @n97 mini

So which one did you get?

Neither, the sink was the main beneficiary

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

1.75 a bottle....I feel like I am robbing Dunnes at this price since it's so good.

You'd be in good company here so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I got some in Molloys.

I think Eight Degrees are a great brewery, ridiculously consistent and always well priced. I don't think I've ever had a 10/10 beer from them but generally all their beers are 8's or 9's. I especially liked their Russian Imperial Stout from around this time last year and their Polar Vortex, two fantastic beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I've still got a bottle of the Russian Imperial that I'll crack open if it ever gets proper wintery.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Am I the only one here who dosint rate 8 degree beers at all ?.

I had a bottle of Milenium at the weekend and I found it to be a bit meh and gave me a nasty headache afterwords the last time I had a bottle of 8 degrees it done the same to me.

I hate the hard-core IPA from brew dog at another lv to the Milenium

Try the full irish and get back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I enjoyed a bottle of 8 Wired's Mighty Imerial Ale last night. It's a very impressive beer. It pours thick and and bronze with very little head. It's very well structured, complex and nicely balanced without a hint of it's big alcohol content. I'm not too keen on smoked ales but it's very subtle here and works very well with the oak, complementing the big malt and caremel flavours. I'll definitely be getting a few more the the Crimbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I picked up a couple of this years Dungarven Coffee and Oatmeal Stout yesterday. Haven't had a chance to try them yet but looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

matrim wrote: »
    I picked up a couple of this years Dungarven Coffee and Oatmeal Stout yesterday. Haven't had a chance to try them yet but looking forward to it.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on it. I absolutely loved it one year (either the first or second year it was brewed) but I thought last year's effort was quite poor and under-carbonated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Duvel Tripel Hop 2015 (Equinox) from The Belgian Beer Factory

Pine forward hop, nice zesty citrus flavour, retention is exceptional as is the foamy lacing that coats the glass...superb :D

duvel-tripel-hop-2015-2-300x203.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

These words are they voice of the beer you are about to drink, they are an attempt to be understood. The beer beneath is more than words. It is a promise. You are the promised. Revel in your times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

4 Irish craft beers for €9 in Dunnes. Picked up one each of Rocketship, KPA, Blacks BIPA and Deception.
    €2.25 each for 500ml bottles, can't laugh at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

First taste of the mcgargles IPA, freaking delish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

stuchyg wrote: »
    First taste of the mcgargles IPA, freaking delish

Which one? Francis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

slayerking wrote: »
    Which one? Francis?

Yeah, ii had the other not so delish ones before. Tangerine out the ying yang with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Found this in Supervalu Loughboy, so that made up my mind what to have! €6.49 for the set. Comes with Tap 1 (my favourite) and Tap 7.

V2djH82l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I bought a St Mel's Pale Ale last night and did not enjoy it at all - very medicinal in taste and quite far from what one might reasonably expect from a pale ale.

I also tried O'Shea's dry-hopped amber ale over the weekend and found it quite good. More bite than their usual beers, which I still regard as the best value in the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I bought a St Mel's Pale Ale last night and did not enjoy it at all - very medicinal in taste and quite far from what one might reasonably expect from a pale ale.

I also tried O'Shea's dry-hopped amber ale over the weekend and found it quite good. More bite than their usual beers, which I still regard as the best value in the land.

There's a few batches from earlier in the year which had a burnt worth because there was a malfunction with their kit. All fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

There's a few batches from earlier in the year which had a burnt worth because there was a malfunction with their kit. All fixed now.

Shouldn't have been released then, or recalled once known about.

Quality control at some craft brewers is poor and can kill what would generally be a good brewery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

can kill what would generally be a good brewery.
    Name one Irish brewery that failed because its beer was poor quality. I don't think it happens. More's the pity, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I doubt it will kill the brewery per se but it could/would affect sales.

Personally I won't buy any Galway Bay beers in bottles any more because of the problems I've experienced with flat beers.

I know I'm only one person but it can add up.

And any brewery that knows there's a problem with their beer shouldn't release it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,994 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    Name one Irish brewery that failed because its beer was poor quality. I don't think it happens. More's the pity, perhaps.

I could but won't name a few that I'm sure won't last because of poor quality beer.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I doubt it will kill the brewery per se but it could/would affect sales.
    There's one brewery that makes consistently awful beers with a very obvious brewing flaw. I brought this up with their distributor and was told that the beers are produced mainly for the local, rural market, and the punters love it. People will buy bad beer. Go figure.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    And any brewery that knows there's a problem with their beer shouldn't release it.
    Easy to say when it's not your money. I bet breweries that do release such beers wish they didn't have to.
    I could but won't name a few that I'm sure won't last because of poor quality beer.:rolleyes:
    Okay, well let's put a timescale on it: by when do you think they'll have gone out of business? How long does it take for bad beer to kill an Irish brewery? My money is on "never".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement