Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

O'Hara's Winter Star. Tasted like Christmas cake, but I struggled through. The rye version isn't too bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Mikkeller's Nuclear Hop Assault. Great beer, but as with a lot of their stuff not really something that makes me wanna spent over a fiver on a 330ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Galway Hooker Amber Ale... Found it pleasant enough and at 4.30 a pint i was happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

O'Hara's Winter Star. Tasted like Christmas cake, but I struggled through. The rye version isn't too bad though.

I had it last year but it tasted like cough medicine that had gone off. I'm guessing there was something wrong with the barrel, there was no way a beer could be made to taste like that. I sent an e-mail off to O'Hara's to let them know there was possibly a dodgy barrel on the loose, they never got back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 transik

Lucena wrote: »
    Per pint? Or per half?

If it's per pint, that's not really expensive for a really nice beer. Even if the exchange rate isn't good at the moment.

Surly its half pint. Brewdog prices are sky high.
    In drink offlicence 12.50€ for a 33cl can of stout, just imagine how much would that be in a pub.
    The only "cheap" beer from them in the bar is punk ipa and red ale both for around €6 for a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

transik wrote: »
    Surly its half pint. Brewdog prices are sky high.
    In drink offlicence 12.50€ for a 33cl can of stout, just imagine how much would that be in a pub.
    The only "cheap" beer from them in the bar is punk ipa and red ale both for around €6 for a pint.

I take it you mean the Black Eyed King Imp Stout. That beer is 12.7% which is as strong as wine. €12.50 is not unreasonable for something with such a high abv.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I take it you mean the Black Eyed King Imp Stout. That beer is 12.7% which is as strong as wine. €12.50 is not unreasonable for something with such a high abv.

10% millenium was€ 4.00
    9% victory is €4.00
    11% siren is €4.99( maybe even less)
    List go on and on..

Collab beer between boneyard( awesome rare brewery!!) and siren(awesome brewery) with 8% abv by the way is only a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

BaZmO* wrote: »

So 660ml (2 cans) would cost €25 and still not the size of a bottle of wine. I'd like to try but that price is insanity.

JPA wrote: »
    So 660ml (2 cans) would cost €25 and still not the size of a bottle of wine. I'd like to try but that price is insanity.

Agree. ridiculous Price. Insane. Focal banger cost 8 bucks per 500ml can!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

What is your opinion of Wicklow Wolf ABeer Called Rwanda? I was disappointed - thought the coffee flavour was a bit burnt seeming, and others I was with agreed.

Was talking to someone who worked at the brewery last night who had only heard positive feedback apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah that's just brewdog being brewdog. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Let's talk more about beer and less about price, it's been done to absolute death...

over the weekend i had...

fourpure session ipa
    mcgarles' francis ipa
    sierra nevada celebration 2015
    o brother joe coffee porter

all pretty nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

nosietoes wrote: »
    What is your opinion of Wicklow Wolf ABeer Called Rwanda? I was disappointed - thought the coffee flavour was a bit burnt seeming, and others I was with agreed.

Was talking to someone who worked at the brewery last night who had only heard positive feedback apparently.

I really enjoyed it, didn't get a burnt taste, just a really nice coffee flavour.

Would love to do a blind tasting on it, O'Brother's Joe and Brown Paper Bag's 3fe collaboration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That beer called Rwanda was too thin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

12341256_10153157457017343_8197310014447762250_n.jpg?oh=f864398c133d4cd343b73d500ead8971&oe=56D8C25B
    New one from Black's, world's End, Chocolate and Vanilla Imperial stout. 8.5%
    Its a fine beer, bit thin on the body though.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Wasn't really impressed with 8 degrees 3 new offerings. The red ipa was the best of the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Just had a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale with me dinner. Just lovely. A solid example of a seasonal IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Mad to place a christmas beer order with Drinkstore, but they have feic all of the seasonals up online! :mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

slayerking wrote: »
    Mad to place a christmas beer order with Drinkstore, but they have feic all of the seasonals up online! :mad:

Same! I had 5 or 6 items in the basket but was hoping to get another few too. Might not order at all at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

An File wrote: »
    Same! I had 5 or 6 items in the basket but was hoping to get another few too. Might not order at all at this stage.

I mailed them yesterday with the beers I want to order, so waiting to see if they start to appear, if not, I prob wont bother placing an order at all.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The last couple of times I've been in they had loads more in stock compared to what's online. I was giving out to Ken about and he said that he's in the process of updating the website. They seem to be updating it for months at this stage.

I don't order as much from them any more because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Had a Buxton Tsar Russian imperial stout in The Salthouse this evening. A fine stout indeed, Buxton are making some very impressive beers these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Dropped in today as we were driving past and spent around 160 between my fiancee and myself. Think that should do me until around christmas :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Heading to Brussels tomorrow. Must say thanks to Isis, without them I doubt I'd have been able to fly there for a tenner to drink lots of nice Belgium beers. I'm staying beside the grand place, and good places that are worth a visit?
    And any place I can expect to buy some westy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

McHugh's had a far better selection a few weeks back when I made my Xmas order. Ive the majority buried away still which is a surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Trond wrote: »
    McHugh's had a far better selection a few weeks back when I made my Xmas order. Ive the majority buried away still which is a surprise!

Yep ive found McHughs to be far better than DS lately, placed my two orders with them.

Blacks Of Kinsale's Model T Stout. Really nice. More of a taste I'd associate with a porter, but yeah, I liked it a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Grayditch wrote: »
    Blacks Of Kinsale's Model T Stout. Really nice. More of a taste I'd associate with a porter, but yeah, I liked it a lot.

What's the difference between a Stout and a Porter?

Hint: there's no difference.

Ok, then. It tasted more similar to drinks that I have drank that have porter written on the label than stout, for whatever reason.

It tastes like Porterhouse's Porter. They call it "Porterhouse Porter". For whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

What's the difference between a Stout and a Porter?

Hint: there's no difference.

A stout is a porter, but a porter isn't a stout

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement