Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Heading to Brussels tomorrow. Must say thanks to Isis, without them I doubt I'd have been able to fly there for a tenner to drink lots of nice Belgium beers. I'm staying beside the grand place, and good places that are worth a visit?
    And any place I can expect to buy some westy?

I was over there at the start of the month. Love Brussels.

I'd recommend -
    Brussels Beer Project (Brewery) - Walking distance from grand place, non-traditional belgian beer
    Delirium - Obviously enough
    A'la becasse - Timmermans white lambic
    A'la mort subite - Their own white lambic
    Moeder Lambic - Theres two of these I prefer the Fontainas one, its closer to grand place too
    Brasserie de la senne (Brewery)- Its a metro trip out of the city and a bit hard to find but worth it
    Cantillon (Brewery) - Must see. Traditional belgian lambic beers. Located near(ish) midi/zuid train station

For westy to bring home your best bet might be bier tempel. I got some in their Bruges branch. Be prepared to pay over the odds for it though.

If you want to drink it there i've seen it on the menu before in Au Bon Vieux Temps. Near the grand place hidden down a little alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Had two cans of founders centennial IPA last night. It's my go to I want lots of hops and a little bit of punch behind it beer.

I still prefer it to Torpedo. Not that Torpedos bad btw, id happily sup at it either but centennial just does it for me.

Really need to stock up on Xmas beer soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Trond wrote: »
    McHugh's had a far better selection a few weeks back when I made my Xmas order. Ive the majority buried away still which is a surprise!

They both seem to be missing bits and bobs that I know are in store (in Drinkstore anyway). I think I'll probably end up placing an order with Drinkstore for what the have online at the mo and then tipping into the store afterwards to add some stuff to that order.

I remember chatting to Ken in Drinkstore before regarding adding specials to the site, I think they're a little reluctant to do it as they get such a short amount of them and its not worth the effort.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm staying beside the grand place, and good places that are worth a visit?
    The Hoppy Loft upstairs at Delirium is worth a go, likewise Toon just down from it on Rue du Marché aux Herbes and the cluster of pubs down alleys around the bottom of that street: A L'Imaige de Notre Dame, Au Bon Vieux Temps and A La Bécasse. Moeder Lambic Fontainas is not far and is one of the best bars in the city.
    And any place I can expect to buy some westy?
    west-highland-terrier-300x225.jpg
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    De Biertempel on Rue du Marché aux Herbes is the most likely place to have some. If you're looking for reeeally special beer a lot of Cantillon's output never leaves the brewery these days so the bar there is well worth the journey if lambic is your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

My mate chanced his arm for a tray of W12 from the abbey when he was driving by a few months ago, without prior booking. They declined. ;)

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    without prior booking.
    Trappist Pun of the Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd love to say I meant that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

New one from Black's, world's End, Chocolate and Vanilla Imperial stout. 8.5%
    Its a fine beer, bit thin on the body though.

Yeah, had one last night. Similar decent beer, but I don't think I'd be buying it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Hoppy Loft upstairs at Delirium is worth a go, likewise Toon just down from it on Rue du Marché aux Herbes and the cluster of pubs down alleys around the bottom of that street: A L'Imaige de Notre Dame, Au Bon Vieux Temps and A La Bécasse. Moeder Lambic Fontainas is not far and is one of the best bars in the city.

west-highland-terrier-300x225.jpg
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    De Biertempel on Rue du Marché aux Herbes is the most likely place to have some. If you're looking for reeeally special beer a lot of Cantillon's output never leaves the brewery these days so the bar there is well worth the journey if lambic is your thing.

Cheers to both of you for the suggestions, needed a place for food and found neutnigenough. Massive beer selection and the food is cooked with beer. While I'm waiting for my beef stew in rochefort beer sauce I'm having cantillons geuze.
    The sudden realization that you're not going to get to visit all the pubs you want to or drink all the beer you want to

As for the westy, think I'll pass. I'm taking my car to the nurburgring in May so a prebooked visit to the brewery will be on the cards

Cheers for the advice chaps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Pete Pea

4 bottles of Leffe Blonde in the local Centra for 6.49 seems like a good deal to moi!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Having a bottle of Brussels Beer Project - Ain't got no home. A rye chocolate porter, lovely stuff. Blaming quadrifoglio verde for putting it into my head ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Been having a couple of cans of the Blacks of Kinsale KPA this week from Sweeneys in D7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

5 bottles of Francis' in the fridge... Good thing I don't have work in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

SN Celebration 2015 for me tastes far better than any year . 2012 was the first time I tried it.

Christmas in a bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Probably the wrong thread but didn't want to start a new one for a question...

Flying home for Christmas on Monday, reckon I'd be able to buy a bottle of GBB Space Suit & Diving Bell anywhere in Dublin?

I'd say any of the good beer off licences would have them. McHugh's, Martin's or DrinkStore on the Northside; Redmond's or either Deveney's on the South. The Galway Bay bars will also probably have them.

I'd say any of the good beer off licences would have them. McHugh's, Martin's or DrinkStore on the Northside; Redmond's or either Deveney's on the South. The Galway Bay bars will also probably have them.

Excellent. Give me a few days and I'll be posting again saying I'm drinking them! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

WeeBushy wrote: »

Flying home for Christmas on Monday, reckon I'd be able to buy a bottle of GBB Space Suit & Diving Bell anywhere in Dublin?

From against the grain twitter feed, it looks like they have bottles of Space suite

WeeBushy wrote: »

They come as a Christmas twin pack, and are available on drinkstore at the mo. So you could always order them online with a few others and they'd ship to your doorstep.

Not cheap, but nice apparently. I'm hoping to try them at source over the weekend if they can be tracked down in some of the pubs.

slayerking wrote: »
    Not cheap, but nice apparently. I'm hoping to try them at source over the weekend if they can be tracked down in some of the pubs.
    Yep, waay better value on draught: €4.25 and €5.75 for 330ml glasses vs. €16 for two 375ml bottles in most offies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

slayerking wrote: »
    They come as a Christmas twin pack, and are available on drinkstore at the mo. So you could always order them online with a few others and they'd ship to your doorstep.

Had Dividing Bell , the wee heavy, on draught enjoyable not sure if the salt works. Not as nice as Dirty Bastard though.

Yep, waay better value on draught: €4.25 and €5.75 for 330ml glasses vs. €16 for two 375ml bottles in most offies.

Not bad at all. That was exactly my plan. Plus use up my beoir vouchers for added value! :)

Drinking my Space Suit I thought "That's not bad for €4.25 but would be amazing at €3.75." :)

Heathen is back next week. If they keep it under a fiver a pint I might take up residence in The 108.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Had a glass of the Siren Pompelmocello last night, I love Grapefruit normally but this was perhaps a bit much even for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Picked up the Five Lamps Whiskey Barrel Aged Series to try tonight plus the new Black Donkey Arigna Series #1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Trouble Brewing Dash Away Cherry Chocolate Stout on draught in Against The Grain again for anybody that loves the stuff like I do. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Had 3 bottles of galway Bay Of Foam and Fury on my christmas party in Swords. Get lost twice managed at the end to catch bus to town.merry christmas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Rumun wrote: »
    Had 3 bottles of galway Bay Of Foam and Fury on my christmas party in Swords. Get lost twice managed at the end to catch bus to town.merry christmas:)

I had a few in Empire last weekend! A very welcome surprise to see them stocked!

Anyway tonight, I'm on the Merry Pilgrim. A seasonal special from Woodkey. Only went out on the shelves tonight. Slightly spiced. Well balanced. No gimmicks. At 7%, it's a sipper

Might hold off and try them on draught in that case. Live in England but love GBB so keen to try these. I believe they're starting to distribute to the UK now so going to start nagging my local off licence to stock their range.

Drinking a trappistes rochefort 8 from said off licence atm, really really tasty. Can of Cannonball IPA to follow.

• Advertisement

A bottle of Via Maris to quench the thirst

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement