Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Had a Diving Bell in the Salthouse last night, it was nice but nothing spectacular. The salted caramel is a good addition, but I didn't get much of the boozy/scotch flavour I was after, like what you get from something like a Backwoods Bastard.

Followed it up with Siren's Ryesing Tides, it was smashing. Very aromatic, loads of mango and orange with a very hoppy, bitter finish. I don't think I've had a bad beer from Siren.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

After nearly 8 months in the fridge i opened up a bottle of St. Bernardus Abt 12 i have been saving at 10% you really fell the kick of the beer at the 1st sip but after a few sips it is going down as a near perfect beer.

Big fan of this and had a couple of bottles over the holidays plus the Christmas Beer, but I thought the Urthel Quad was as good as the Abt. If you have not had it, you should give that a go. Usually same price or slightly cheaper than Abt which is good considering its 11.50% abv

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Yeah think I prefer the urthel quad myself, having trouble finding it sadly. The St. Bernard Christmas beer was bit of a gusher for me, preferred the normal AB12

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Cracked open a doozy this evening. A Magnum bottle of Anchor's Christmas/New Year beer from 2014. Very similar to Yannaroddy; a little less hoppy flavour on it but it's ever so slightly smoother. Well worth a year's wait for this one; sorry it's a one off brew.

AnchorChristmas2014.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Big pity, that was surely a dud you got. Mine didn't gush and it tasted great. Worth dropping them a message for sure.

I had an 8 Degrees Polar Vortex IPA last night. I reeeeeally liked this one and it was only €2.30 too!

Got myself a bottle of the Leann Follain Barrel Aged. No mishaps with mine thought it was lovely stuff.

Had a good spread over the Christmas period. James Brown's chocolate orange stout was a disappointment for me, didn't get a whole lot of flavour at all.

8 degrees grand stretch was the opposite, seriously hoppy stuff with a punch of maybe peach from. Nice but it'd over power the tongue and nose sharp enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I have 200 reasons to be happy tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

An File wrote: »

Cant fathom why!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

This would have hurt, but the fact I'm taking a break for January it's close to torture. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cant fathom why!

Got it in one! :D
    limnam wrote: »
    This would have hurt, but the fact I'm taking a break for January it's close to torture. :pac:

Sorry. :P I went dry for September and most of November, and I'm planning a break for February too (apart from Valentine's night ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

White Hag draught stout.

Don't know the exact name, font on taps is too small.

4.50 per pint.

Grand pint, I had a second, and would return for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Had a bottle of that over Christmas. What a beer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Geuze wrote: »
    White Hag draught stout.

Don't know the exact name, font on taps is too small.

4.50 per pint.

Grand pint, I had a second, and would return for more.

White Sow Chocolate Milk Stout. Had it in O'Connell's on Eyre Square a while back, lovely beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Was all settled in last night with a nice cheeseboard, and opened a bottle of to go with it, but it gushed all over the place, I got about 250ml from the bottle into an actual glass.

Actually have some blue cheese and a Barrel Aged Leann Follain here. Am afraid to open it. :pac:

My local Dunnes still had quite a few of them left, btw. Noticed they've also added Lagunitas IPA to the Sierra Nevada PA/Torpedo.

Actually have some blue cheese and a Barrel Aged Leann Follain here. Am afraid to open it. :pac:

My local Dunnes still had quite a few of them left, btw. Noticed they've also added Lagunitas IPA to the Sierra Nevada PA/Torpedo.

2 left in my local Dunnes tonight too. I wonder if they'll ever drop the price to try to get rid of them. :pac:

I got one Lagunitas and one Sierra Nevada while I was there. Quiet Saturday night in tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Ayinger_Celebrator_1.jpg

Love this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

2 left in my local Dunnes tonight too. I wonder if they'll ever drop the price to try to get rid of them. :pac:

What price were they selling at?

12.99 in mine, AFAIK.

€12.50 in Limerick. I got two of them before Christmas. Tempted to pick up the other two.

original.

No gush. I repeat. No gush.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

And now for this evenings weather.

A colder front will be sweeping down over the country. This Polar Vortex will bring with it some very enjoyable tasting conditions. There will be some piney notes upfront followed swiftly by a satisfying fruity shower which will leave a pleasant bitterness on the palate.

That's it from us here this evening, have a wonderful evening..

*gets coat*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Was in The Black Sheep yesterday and among other things had two wonderful beers - Diving Bell and Cocoa Wonderland. The initial taste from the Diving Bell was surprisingly sweet, but it was rich and smooth and never became cloying. As it warmed slightly and my taste buds adjusted the sweetness became less apparent and the mellowness of the salted caramel worked really well with the beer. But good and all as the Diving Bell was, Cocoa Wonderland is absolutely incredible. It was like drinking really good dark chocolate in beer form, and the aroma every time I lifted the glass was unbelievable. Are bottles of this available anywhere in Dublin because I really need to get my hands on some.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

The new GBB beer Heathen, a black berliner weisse isn't great

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Always been a bit of a marmite beer. I haven't had the new version yet but I loved the 2014 edition.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ola Dubh 18. I don't know how much it's changed in the bottle, but according to the label it was bottled in September 2012. It spent about 6 months in Highland Park 18 casks, which coincidentally is my favourite Scotch, and you can certainly get the light smokiness that the whiskey has. The beer itself is thick and oily and has a lot going on in terms of both taste and smell. I'm drinking it from a brandy snifter, as recommended by Baldy Conscience earlier in this thread, and I have to say it certainly does do something for the drinking experience. You get the aroma of the beer fully with every drink you take, and for a beer like this it can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

jsa112 wrote: »
    The new GBB beer Heathen, a black berliner weisse isn't great

Didn't like last year's either. Had a Blacks World's End last night, really good,lovely kick of dark chocolate and a touch of vanilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

I opened a litre of Black's Model T stout that was stored away since last Christmas over the weekend. It was just as great as the last time I had it, hints of cocoa and fruit. As close as I've gotten to drinking a black forest gateaux.:D Hopefully I'll get to sample more at festivals during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Buxton Brewery - Red Raspberry Rye. It's a Berliner Weisse. It's like sour toffee with mashed up raspberries. Not sure what to make of it tbh.

It's the second Berliner Weisse style beer I've had over the last month. Hmmm, interesting to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

CR 7 wrote: »
    I opened a litre of Black's Model T stout that was stored away since last Christmas over the weekend. It was just as great as the last time I had it, hints of cocoa and fruit. As close as I've gotten to drinking a black forest gateaux.:D Hopefully I'll get to sample more at festivals during the year.

expensive stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Up in Dublin for a cupla days so I popped into Drinkstore,picked up two bottles of Aecht Schlenkerla for a euro each (out of date), a Shanco Dubh and a Viven Blonde. Having a superb pint of Vic Secret in Bull and Castle now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

BeerNut wrote: »
    Always been a bit of a marmite beer. I haven't had the new version yet but I loved the 2014 edition.

The new version I think will be a disappointment if you loved the 2014 but still worth having.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement