Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,237 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Had a bottle of Galway Bay's The Eternalist Sunday evening. I got a hamper of 8 bottles for Christmas from the mother-in-law. Enda who's recipe kicked it off is recommending it be aged for another year but I'm struggling to leave it alone!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Sleepy wrote: »
    Had a bottle of Galway Bay's The Eternalist Sunday evening. I got a hamper of 8 bottles for Christmas from the mother-in-law. Enda who's recipe kicked it off is recommending it be aged for another year but I'm struggling to leave it alone!

A trick I saw on another site was to stash the beer away and leave other, lesser, beers in front of it. Thus if you go looking for it at least if there's other beers there you might settle for them and leave the good stuff alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Sleepy wrote: »

Just make sure to leave it in a different press away from where you normally store your beer. That way you have to specifically go get it if you want to have it.

But make sure to add a reminder to go back in a year (with details of where you left it), so you don't forget it and find it 10 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

I'm looking for a German beer, Ayinger.

Has anybody come across it in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

blueshed wrote: »
    I'm looking for a German beer, Ayinger.

Has anybody come across it in Dublin.

Most decent offos should have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Still in Dublin, Lagunitas Pale Ale, found it nice but overly super split-y if you get me. In Against the Grain now, had a Thornbridge Otto Doppelbock to start, gorgeous, malty, caramel, sweet and 8% to boot. Onto an Ayinger Celebrator doppelbock now, superb beer.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Who the fcuk in O'Hara's thought it was a good idea to put the champagne bottle style stopper in this year's barrel aged Leann Folláin instead of the swing top they had last year? I spent a good 5 minutes trying to get the bloody thing out, although at least I didn't have a gusher like some people have had. And after all that this year's batch, while decent enough, isn't as good as last year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,237 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Has anyone ever seen Shere Drop for sale? It's an English Ale from Surrey Hills Brewery and was the first real ale I drank regularly whilst working in Guildford for a few months about 6 years ago. I'd love to see how it stands up to my memory of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Who the fcuk in O'Hara's thought it was a good idea to put the champagne bottle style stopper in
    Had forgotten bout that, was frustrating. Ever tried opening brewdog's abstrakt beer ;) ?

Was removing a cork from a bottle recently and it broke in half, with one half still being stuck in place. Gimme a bottle top any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I don't mind cork in a bottle top, but christ do away with the plastic ones they're awful to get a grip of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Just back from a couple of days in Brussels and brought home some tasty Westvleteren XII

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Randomly remembered Magic Hat No.9, the other day. One of the beers that got me into hoppier beers. I think it was a pale ale/ lager crossover or something so it'd be probably fairly tame now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Many of ye tried World's End from Kinsale? I've had it on two occasions now (bottles) and I'm thinking of keeping a third one to see how it ages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Grayditch wrote: »
    Randomly remembered Magic Hat No.9, the other day. One of the beers that got me into hoppier beers. I think it was a pale ale/ lager crossover or something so it'd be probably fairly tame now.
    A pale ale with fruit, which is the very height of beer fashion at the moment (for better or worse), so ahead of its time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Sipping on a Trappistes Rochefort 6 now as I felt like dabbling into Belgian styles for the first time really. Oh my god, why didn't anybody tell me I was missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Sipping on a Trappistes Rochefort 6 now as I felt like dabbling into Belgian styles for the first time really. Oh my god, why didn't anybody tell me I was missing out.

And there is the 8 and 12 still to try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Patww79 wrote: »

:eek: We finally broke you! *collapses in shock*

• Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Patww79 wrote: »

It wasn't one of my recommendations - someone else named the name - but its of the type I was recommending

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just got 4 of these for a tenner in McHugh's

http://www.martinsofflicence.ie/siren-/-evil-twin-even-more-jesus-viii/

Never tried it but could not resist at that price, some other pricey beers up there that are about to go "out of date" for decent prices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

RasTa wrote: »
    Just got 4 of these for a tenner in McHugh's

http://www.martinsofflicence.ie/siren-/-evil-twin-even-more-jesus-viii/

Never tried it but could not resist at that price, some other pricey beers up there that are about to go "out of date" for decent prices

It's savage stuff and an absolute freaking steal at that price, even if it is about to go out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It's savage stuff and an absolute freaking steal at that price, even if it is about to go out of date.

Also on that link is Brehon on offer; they brew some smart no nonsense beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

oblivious wrote: »
    And there is the 8 and 12 still to try :)

Yup and looking forward to both. Glad I started small :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Black Donkey Arigna Series #1. Found it by chance in Ennis, didn't know what to expect. Love it. Reminds me of some of the really good darker Belgian ales.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Galway Bay's head brewer Chris Treanor is leaving the brewery. Very interested in what he'll do next and where GBB will go next (other than from strength to strength).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Been sipping on Lervig's Brewers Reserve Konrads Russian Imperial Stout for the past half an hour or so. It's exemplary. It pours very dark, thick and treacly with a deep mocha head and thick lacing down the glass. The aroma is very roasty with some dark fruit and loads of malt. The taste starts slightly sweet with dark chocolate and vanilla notes, then it gets roasty and somewhat bitter in the finish. Huge body but very smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. You do get some heat from the alcohol but it's not unbalanced. Overall, a very well executed imperial stout. Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

white hag barrel aged black boar, oh lordy. better than 200 fathoms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

International baltic porter day!
    Had small glass of tool/ nomada miso imperial porter, unreall.
    But it gets even better then this, just finished Collaboration brew between 3floydes and amager again, bomb insane and before that praire artizan farmhouse ale, stable in the glass:)we need this in dublin, craft beer selection in poland is huge at lest 5 multitaps in Kraków all packedwith both domestic and import quality craft beers.lots of off licences too, with crazzy selection. good to be home:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement