Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I went for a barrel aged Leann Folláin with Match of the Day for tonight. Figured out a relatively quick way of removing the cork by jimmying it with both thumbs. That said, I did open it in the garden in case it gushed all over the place. :P

Chilled out and ready for bed now after that.

My recent posts here would suggest I've been spoiling myself the last few weeks! Since New Year's Eve: (bottles) Siren Mum's The Word, Black Donkey Arigna Series #1, Kinsale World's End, GBB 200 Fathoms, barrel aged Leann Folláin; (draught) Farmageddon double IPA, Goodbye Blue Monday, Heathen, and Diving Bell. Had Space Suit in December too, and Mór Barley Wine from 8 Degrees. Some great Irish beers in that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rufuseric82

Really liked Independents Brandy Barrell Barleywine. I liked the Dungarvan and Eight Degrees barleywines but for me the Independent was the best of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

jsa112 wrote: »
    white hag barrel aged black boar, oh lordy. better than 200 fathoms?

Not even the same game, never mind league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Abt 12 to finish the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Having a blacks worlds end at the moment. Really is a lovely beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Rumun wrote: »
    International baltic porter day!
    :)

Didn't know that, but did happen to have a couple of bottles of
    Utrenos Baltic Porter over the weekend. Really like that beer.

Galway Hooker Stout, first time having their stout, really nice.
    Wood Key - Pilgrim. Hadn't been in a rush to have this, not a huge fan of red ales, but WOW...really impressed with this

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Stone bottles any news? when? where, kegs available as we speak, should not be far behind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Rumun wrote: »
    Stone bottles any news? when? where, kegs available as we speak, should not be far behind...

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A delightful bottle of Timothy Taylor's Landlord.

Had a O'Brother Joe Coffer Porter and Wicklow Wolf A Beer Called Rwanda last night.

The Joe is lovely with loads of coffee and roasted malts, with dark fruit and a hint of dark chocolate. Lovely and robust beer with a great body.

I wasn't a fan of A Beer Called Rwanda, it had a thin body and I didn't get much coffee. To me it had a liquorice taste that was just didn't sit well with the rest of the beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

matrim wrote: »
    Had a O'Brother Joe Coffer Porter and Wicklow Wolf A Beer Called Rwanda last night.

The Joe is lovely with loads of coffee and roasted malts, with dark fruit and a hint of dark chocolate. Lovely and robust beer with a great body.

I wasn't a fan of A Beer Called Rwanda, it had a thin body and I didn't get much coffee. To me it had a liquorice taste that was just didn't sit well with the rest of the beer.

Snap!

Had the two of them a few weeks ago. Did you drink the porter first? I did and realised after should have drank Rwanda first and may have enjoyed it more. Really enjoyed O'Brothers Joe must pick up a Brutus been meaning to try it.

Ryath wrote: »
    Snap!

Had the two of them a few weeks ago. Did you drink the porter first? I did and realised after should have drank Rwanda first and may have enjoyed it more. Really enjoyed O'Brothers Joe must pick up a Brutus been meaning to try it.

Yeah, I had the Joe first and after tasting the Rwanda realised I should have swapped the order I had them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

RasTa wrote: »
    Where?

Thats what i want to know myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

My haul for last week.

8GLjNJjl.jpg

The Full Irish is an outstanding IPA. I'm not the biggest IPA fan but the aroma of this one was amazing. Real burst of orange and grapefruit with a similar taste. I'm not the greatest at taste descriptions but trust me on this, it's great.

I posted about Rochefort 6 last week and that amazing first try lead me to purchase a couple more abbey ales (including a Rochefort 8 & 10 not pictured here). And wow, I am not disappointed. These are fast becoming my favourite type of beer altogether. I'm planning on homebrewing a Rochefort 8 clone in a months time or else I'll end up spending way too much on these from the off license :)

The Boon Mariage Parfait Geuze and the Siren Calypso Berliner Weisse were my first dips into sour beers. After hearing a tonne of hype for these I decided to try them out. Maybe my palate isn't refined enough but I don't the hype over these types. The sourness overpowered all other flavours in my mind and the Geuze actually tasted closer to a cider than an ale. I appreciate it was my first time trying these types of beer so I'm going to keep trying and testing different types before dismissing them as not my thing.

Is anyone here using the Untappd app? Found it just before Christmas and it's great for logging new beers etc. Feel free to add me there, I have no friends at the minute (:(). Username is BrewDorg.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Boon Mariage Parfait Geuze and the Siren Calypso Berliner Weisse were my first dips into sour beers.
    Two very different beers. You might be nearly at the end of your sour beer education ;)
    a couple more abbey ales
    You'll make the monks sad talking like that. They're all trappist beers, as in actually made inside a monastery. "Abbey beers" is the term used for the fake ones that use the name of a monastery but aren't made in one, like Leffe, St Bernardus, Affligem and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

BeerNut wrote: »
    Two very different beers. You might be nearly at the end of your sour beer education ;)

You'll make the monks sad talking like that. They're all trappist beers, as in actually made inside a monastery. "Abbey beers" is the term used for the fake ones that use the name of a monastery but aren't made in one, like Leffe, St Bernardus, Affligem and the like.

To be fair, I could tell that the two sours were drastically different. I'd like to give the Geuze another shot in the summer as it seems more refreshing than warming. I've been keeping an eye out for any remaining bottles of Kinnegars offering but haven't managed to find it yet.

Apologies to any monks offended, I meant Trappist of course :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've been keeping an eye out for any remaining bottles of Kinnegars offering but haven't managed to find it yet.
    That was lovely all right; very subtle. Give Galway Bay's Heathen a go if you can get to their bars. They've dialled back the sourness this year, I think. And at €2.75 a glass it's a bit cheaper than Mariage Parfait or Calypso.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

I had a bottle of Mariage Parfait last night myself. I love the stuff. Picked up a 750ml bottle in Brussels for the same price as a 330ml in my local

I also tried Brú lager. Not bad for a lager

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

I had a bottle of Mariage Parfait last night myself. I love the stuff. Picked up a 750ml bottle in Brussels for the same price as a 330ml in my local

I also tried Brú lager. Not bad for a lager

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Super Valu always has the Bru lagger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Having a blacks worlds end at the moment. Really is a lovely beer.

Have one here for tonight (along with Eight Degrees Signal Belgian Stout, Alltech Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale and the old reliable Founders Porter). Really looking forward to it.

Exactly the same for me. I really liked Joe but was disappointed with ABCR.
    Patww79 wrote: »

If you like the DP, you'd probably like the West Indies. It's a bit stronger I think but it's very drinkable and a nice porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Pretty sure I saw it in Tesco in Rathfarnham the other night. They seem to always have the brew stuff. Speaking of which, they seem to be showing up a lot more. They have a tap in the new burger place in Terenure as well as a massive amount of branding in the pub around the corner. Good for them!

Managed to pick up the last bottle of Locavore IPA from Wicklow Wolf. Looking forward to trying it out. I absolutely love their Belgian Brown Ale so I'm sure this will be a treat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

got a bottle of the oharas hop adventure series with galaxy hops.

bloody lovely. i should have got more of them instead of the kinsale pale ale and the innis & gunns. never had innis & gunns before so hopefully they are equally fantastic.

Do any of you guys have the Spiegelau craft beer glasses? Picked up their tasting kit tonight and going to pick it up tomorrow. Pretty cool glass that were designed with the help of Sierra Nevada and Left hand as well as a few others.

20 euro from drinkstore and either free to pick up or a fiver to deliver with an post.

http://www.drinkstore.ie/Spiegelau-Craft-Beer-Glass-Tasting-Kit-4003322247296/

Going to pick it up tomorrow.

The only issue I've seen is that they're quite thin but sure I guess they're just like wine glasses in that sense. Just need to be careful.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement