Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've tended to spoil myself with most of my drinks purchases over the last while (barrel-aged this, imperial that, limited edition the other) but I just had a small taste of Knockmealdown porter from 8 Degrees for the first time in ages and it is still gorgeous.

I'd safely say I haven't had it since Tesco stopped selling it in 6 packs. Grand stuff for €2.10 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Jl12I7nkkuvph3-IXZu7Ignqdw5YDo71W-5dldblfuDMuU0EZ4ODdLLJqTDPHbHZL-RmxGaxGkS0m8AdfiMcjNN9EOlgcyURk2fvKbSfmKnnLyP2tD5mhA=w313-h470-nc

Garage Project VPA today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Had a couple of the giant Hoegardens and Leffes now selling in Lidl.

Great value.
    €3 per 75cl bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

An File wrote: »
    but I just had a small taste of Knockmealdown porter from 8 Degrees for the first time in ages and it is still gorgeous.

I'd safely say I haven't had it since Tesco stopped selling it in 6 packs. Grand stuff for €2.10 a bottle.

Have seen them in my local Molloys at 5 for 10 euro quite a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Had a couple of the giant Hoegardens and Leffes now selling in Lidl.

Great value.
    €3 per 75cl bottle.

Slight increase in price really, didn't they used have 4*330ml bottles for €4.99?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Slight increase in price really, didn't they used have 4*330ml bottles for €4.99?
    if they were that price it would have been an exceptionally good offer and presumable for a very short time.

a 4 pack of leffe is 9.29 in obriens
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/leffe-blonde-33cl-btl-4pk.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

rubadub wrote: »
    if they were that price it would have been an exceptionally good offer and presumable for a very short time.

a 4 pack of leffe is 9.29 in obriens
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/leffe-blonde-33cl-btl-4pk.html

They were always that price for both beers when they had them in. I was always amazed what prices they were elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Yeah, I think for the last year or two the 4-packs have been €5.50. Still very good value. I'm partial to the occasional bottle of Hoegaarden, particularly in summertime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I've stopped buying beer except to try new ones when they become available :o

I've become self sufficient through home brewing :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I've stopped buying beer except to try new ones when they become available :o

I've become self sufficient through home brewing :D

got anything in the Nationals?

I'm trying to decide between two stouts, and an IPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Galway Hooker and other Pale Ales like that ARE supposed to be what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Patww79 wrote: »

If you see a beer described as a blonde it might be what you are looking for. They are generally ales that are light in flavour. And as Baldy said some of the pale ales such as Galway Hooker, Metalman, Kinsale pale ale are generally fairly light.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Right, one for the experts as I'm relatively new to this.

I'm OK for the stouts and have found a few I really like, but I'm finding the lagers and pilsners a bit sour and meh after more than two now. I find the pale ales completely rank but is there a happy medium there anywhere? Basically something a bit light like the Lager but with a little more body without getting as far as the ones that really stink (in my taste anyway) of hops. Or should I just stick to the stouts for what I'm looking for?

Sounds like Hop House 13 is made for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

Bru Darkside IPA, a bit disappointing, very dry aftertaste and very hoppy but no complexity.

About to open 8 degrees Snow Eater Red IPA, hopefully a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

What's with the attitude? They were right, hop house 13 would be a decent shout given your description of what you are looking for. Also the likes of Smithicks pale ale would offer more body than a lager without being overly hopped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

You sure do get offended extremely easily when someone gives you a suggestion.

Try not to take everything as an attack, you'll win far more friends that way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: Take a deep breath there. Any more abusive posts like that and you'll be taking a break from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Anyway. beer.

Tried out the Rascals Ginger Porter and Big Hop Red there. Both pretty disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

Right, one for the experts as I'm relatively new to this.

I'm OK for the stouts and have found a few I really like, but I'm finding the lagers and pilsners a bit sour and meh after more than two now. I find the pale ales completely rank but is there a happy medium there anywhere? Basically something a bit light like the Lager but with a little more body without getting as far as the ones that really stink (in my taste anyway) of hops. Or should I just stick to the stouts for what I'm looking for?

If you want something like a lager but more body and you aren't into IPA, then I don't think you can beat Brooklyn lager, I highly recommend it

That sort of condescending crap does nobody any favours. Are you really that sad that you need to fire back if someone doesn't like what you do? I thought all this was about a bit of advice and finding something you like from the vast array of what's out there and not throwing your toys out of the pram if someone wants to try something to their own tastes.

At least some can be helpful.

What the hell is your problem? You asked for a recommendation based on a certain description. I gave you an example of a beer that meets your requirements. I've had it once or twice myself and wouldn't say no if someone offered me a pint of it. Your own preconceptions of HH 13 are your issue, not mine. I hadn't though of Smithwicks pale ale at the time, but that's a good shout too. Would you have thrown a hissy fit if I'd mentioned that beer as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,907 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A sampling night courtesy of the Supervalu deal...
    For me, Bo Bristle Amber Ale > Bo Bristle IPA > Arthurstown (aka Kevin Dundon) Pale Ale

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

something a bit light like the Lager but with a little more body without getting as far as the ones that really stink (in my taste anyway) of hops.
    Spaten is the answer. Spaten is always the answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement