Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Holy west coast batman. The Galway Bay Space Suit and Diving Bell are both freaking delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To the angry stout and lager drinker:

I'd look for some unfiltered lagers - there are usually a few knocking around, ask in a decent beer shop.

Brooklyn lager is really quite hoppy, may not be to your taste. I suspect Metalman might be in the same bracket - great beer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

prob late to the party but supping on a blacks world end imperial stout. Holy b'jaysus shes lovely. reminds me of porterhouse truffle stout a bit. Getting me in the mood for the alltech fest next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

As you're looking out for some Blondes, I would recommend Donegal Blonde. Pretty sure they have a deal with Supervalu so you can find it in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Drinking a SN Pale Ale in the absolute sham that is The Cock And Bull in Coolock.

Full of Fraft beer. I'd high hopes for this place, alas the great unwashed of Coolock just weren't ready.

Disclaimer. I'm from here and worked in this pub when it was owned by Diageo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I had an almost religious experience last night - Buxton/Omnipillo Yellow Belly.

It pours thick and black with a brown head that leaves decent lacing on the glass. The nose is just incredible. It's like a jar of peanut butter has just been opened, you can literally smell if from across the room! There's a lot of vanilla, chocolate and sweetness. There's a little tobacco, smoke and nuts that emerge after the first impression of peanut butter.

The taste is just immense: chocolate, vanilla, ice cream, caramel, roasted malt, molasses, biscuit, and coffee beans. It's very well structured, full bodied with perfect carbonation. The 11% ABV is well hidden with very little heat. It's sweet, soft and creamy, you could almost call it a dessert stout. Certainly one for sipping and/or sharing.

It's fantastic to see that some breweries are taking the time to make stuff like this, it's light years ahead of anything produced in this country.

I have another bottle and some Yellow Belly Sundae left in the Christmas hamper, I'll be saving them for a while:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,768 ✭✭✭✭L1011

When did Diageo own pubs? Never thought the tied house got outside Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

L1011 wrote: »

Old Guninnes estate, the owned a good few. Most I thought where sold off before the Diagnosis buy out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Drinking this stuff tonight..

http://www.brubrewery.ie/product/bru-ri/

Nice IPA. ..not sa citrusy as other IPA's (I actually do like them with a nice zing, but this is nice for a change ) ..has a nice toffee/caramel aftertaste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Drinking this stuff tonight..

http://www.brubrewery.ie/product/bru-ri/

Nice IPA. ..not sa citrusy as other IPA's (I actually do like them with a nice zing, but this is nice for a change ) ..has a nice toffee/caramel aftertaste.

I'd say it's an "Irish Pale Ale" along the likes of O'Hara's which is closer to an American pale ale than an American IPA.
    Grand beer all the same.

• Advertisement

I'd say it's an "Irish Pale Ale" along the likes of O'Hara's which is closer to an American pale ale than an American IPA.
    Grand beer all the same.

Yeah its nice.
    My current favourite is the Black's Kinsale Pale Ale.
    I wish Franciscan well bottled the Chieftain stuff...that is gorgeous.

Yeah its nice.
    My current favourite is the Black's Kinsale Pale Ale.
    I wish Franciscan well bottled the Chieftain stuff...that is gorgeous.

You're in Westmeath right? The Malthouse in Athlone had it on tap when I was in the other night. Lovely beer.

You're in Westmeath right? The Malthouse in Athlone had it on tap when I was in the other night. Lovely beer.

Chieftain????.....Are you serious?

Chieftain????.....Are you serious?

Yip

Yip

I know where I'm going later so.

The Porter House across the road from the front door of the Town Centre also had it the last time I was in there but that was a while ago.

Apparently Nuts Corner has it too...I was not aware of this.

Apparently Nuts Corner has it too...I was not aware of this.

Last time I was in nuts they had rebel red but not Chieftain, I'll have to pop in again.

I'll let you know of my findings later.

Last time I was in nuts they had rebel red but not Chieftain, I'll have to pop in again.

So I had 7 or 8 pints of rebel red in nuts tonight...not bad. .doesn't have the same kick you get of the Chieftain.
    A nice beer. ..I'm well full now. ..off to bed...

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    oblivious wrote: »
    Old Guninnes estate, the owned a good few. Most I thought where sold off before the Diagnosis buy out

Sorry yeah, not Diageo, Guinness.

They had The Sheaf, The Clonsilla Inn, Searsons and one more I can't recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,768 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sorry yeah, not Diageo, Guinness.

They had The Sheaf, The Clonsilla Inn, Searsons and one more I can't recall.

Wasn't aware that Guinness owned pubs either (I wasn't trying to be pedantic!) They were fairly against it in the UK in the older days, introduction to all the Guinness Book of Records from the past used to mention their estate being 1 pub - the one at Park Royal.

With the pub names there I was able to find more info on it - seems it peaked at 12 owned and they also ran the SU bar here in Maynooth albeit well before my drinking age!

http://irishecho.com/2011/02/guinness-quaffs-pub-sale-profits-2/ (its from 1998, ignore the posting date); http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/guinness-sells-its-last-three-pubs-in-dublin-1.198772 gives a few more names

The Cherry Tree was the one I couldn't remember.

The Sheaf was sold to the Grainger family (pubs in Baldoyle and Marino) for crazy money, but they wanted to build apartments on the site, all kinds of objections were made and they never got the planning permission.

They then let the pub rot, and eventually lost it.

I love what's been done to the inside, it's just a pity about the "fraft".

The Cherry Tree was the one I couldn't remember.

The Sheaf was sold to the Grainger family (pubs in Baldoyle and Marino) for crazy money, but they wanted to build apartments on the site, all kinds of objections were made and they never got the planning permission.

They then let the pub rot, and eventually lost it.

I love what's been done to the inside, it's just a pity about the "fraft".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The Sheaf was sold to the Grainger family (pubs in Baldoyle and Marino) for crazy money, but they wanted to build apartments on the site, all kinds of objections were made and they never got the planning permission..

Very similar story with the Clonsilla inn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

While people are talking about FW beers, I finally got to try Shandon stout at the weekend. Liked the dry soft taste and found it quaffable. Felt was a teensy bit too warm and light but other than that it wasn't a bad beer for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Does anyone know when and where (in Galway) we'll be able to buy this year's 200 Fathoms? I've tweeted GBB but no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when and where (in Galway) we'll be able to buy this year's 200 Fathoms? I've tweeted GBB but no reply.
    their bars in dublin always sell bottles for take out. I'm sure their Galway ones will do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Last year it was also on limited release with their distributor (four corners?) so any off-license that sells their beers may be able to get some.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

matrim wrote: »
    Last year it was also on limited release with their distributor (four corners?)
    Noreast. Anywhere there's Erdinger :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement