Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Seen in super valu as well they have Hophouse 13 in bottle now ..... No idea of the price as they had bottles and 4 packs but no prices.

No Guinness sign to be seen on less you look at the small print on the back of the bottle ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Seen in super valu as well they have Hophouse 13 in bottle now ..... No idea of the price as they had bottles and 4 packs but no prices.

No Guinness sign to be seen on less you look at the small print on the back of the bottle ;)

Saw them in my local today.

4 for e10 or e3.10 each.

You'd want to be an idiot to spend that on them.
    Wouldn't even take it 4 for e5 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Sierra Nevada all the way tonight...2 pale ale, 2 winter celebration and 2 torpedo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

BeerNut wrote: »
    I think it might be Citra, but don't quote me.

I won't...doh!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Picked up a Ska Decadent IPA last night with 20% off. Still cost nearly a tenner. :eek: Should be a nice way to ring in the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A few pints of Chieftain IPA in the Golden Ball in Kiltiernan before some cold pre season LOI in Jackson Park

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

First sample of diving bell in the brew dock before heading to the convention centre.

Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Had a few bottles of Grafters IPA last night, a Rye River brew that I saw in Dunnes. Disgracefully poor stuff, not worth trying again.

There's certainly a lot better out there but for the price and accessibility, it's pretty decent. Only thing as nice in that price range is the McGargles Banging IPA.

Tonight for me is Founders Imperial Stout, Founders Porter, Sierra Nevada Blindfold and 8 Degrees Signal Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just tried my first bottle of gueuze there, Belle-Vue, definitely something unique. It's like something halfway between a beer and a cider, very acidic taste but I quite liked it. I can't imagine this type of stuff would be overly popular outside of Belgium though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Picked up a few new beers I haven't tried from my local Molloys. They had 4 cans of Rascals for €10 which seems like a good deal considering it's four different beers.

Also, got a can of Gnéas by Kerry Brewing (another new brewery?) and it's a cracking beer. It has DPA on the label (Dingle Pale Ale). Extremely rich and malty for the abv, it's only 4.5%, lots of hops too. Really really good beer. I think I could drink this one all night. Pretty funky marketing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Picked up a few new beers I haven't tried from my local Molloys. They had 4 cans of Rascals for €10 which seems like a good deal considering it's four different beer.

Also, got a can of Gnéas by Kerry Brewing (another new brewery?) and it's a cracking beer. It has DPA on the label (Dingle Pale Ale). Extremely rich and malty for the abv, it's only 4.5%, lots of hops too. Really really good beer. I think I could drink this one all night. Pretty funky marketing too.

Was very disappointed with the rascals cans which is a pity as their brewery is local to me.

Had the Gneas down in a pub in Killarney at new year and thought it was very nice.

Does Gneas mean sex or is my Irish way off :)

Was very disappointed with the rascals cans which is a pity as their brewery is local to me.

Had the Gneas down in a pub in Killarney at new year and thought it was very nice.

Does Gneas mean sex or is my Irish way off :)

It does! :D

I thought the little blurb on the can was funny.

Having the Rascals Ginger Porter now, quite enjoying it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I had a couple of Rascals cans the other day and thoroughly enjoyed them. I'm glad that they went for a slightly abstracted core range.

I also slurped a pint of Big Hop Red earlier this evening and I must say that it is one of my favourite Irish reds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

lagunitas sucks very delicious

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

An File wrote: »
    Picked up a Ska Decadent IPA last night with 20% off. Still cost nearly a tenner. :eek: Should be a nice way to ring in the weekend.

I also cracked open a bottle of Space Suit. Good booze and Metallica until I fall asleep. \m/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Gnéas by Kerry Brewing (another new brewery?)
    Nope, brewed and canned at Rascal's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Glass of Kompass in the Brew Dock last night was very good, might have another this afternoon

BeerNut wrote: »
    Nope, brewed and canned at Rascal's.

That'd make sense alright because it doesn't say where it's Brewed on the can. Are they a gypsy brewery or just waiting for kit?

Tried some really good stuff at alltech yesterday.

Diving bell in the brew dock.

Blacks worlds end.
    White hag coffee rocket.
    Trouble brewings double IPA.
    Lagunitas manzango which was probably my favourite of the evening.
    Lagunitas hairy eyeball which was amazing.
    White hag barrel aged black boar stout.

Lagunitas for me is excellent, my favourite brewery. That said, the coffee rocket was a real standout, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Didn't like the barrel aged black boar stout, could taste the alcohol far far too much for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Had a bottle of Brown Sugga, good stuff. Think I might prefer the Sucks (brown sugga substitute) though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Stocked up for the month this morning. Most interested in trying out my first Geuze. Was recommended a bottle of 3 Fonteinen Oude Gouze.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

A few pints of Bru Rua red ale and Kinnegar Scraggy Bay IPA in Slatterys last night.

Onto Alltech now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

To the knowledgeable fellows of the boards, which beers should I prioritise when visiting the festival in The Convention Centre this weekend?

To the knowledgeable fellows of the boards, which beers should I prioritise when visiting the festival in The Convention Centre this weekend?

What style of beer do you usually like to drink?

VW 1 wrote: »
    What style of beer do you usually like to drink?

I'll try anything to be honest, I like beers not styles.

For myself, lagunitas are excellent if you haven't tried. White hag are also consistently good across the range, haven't had a bad beer from them yet. Blacks of kinsale have a few good offerings.

Just try something you are unfamiliar with basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Had my first geuze yesterday, just having my first kriek lambic now, Lindemans.

Absolutely class stuff, but it's far more comparable to wine than beer, and I wouldn't be a big wine man. Nice cherry base to it though and like the gueze, I'll probably be ordering a few more bottles.

VW 1 wrote: »
    For myself, lagunitas are excellent if you haven't tried. White hag are also consistently good across the range, haven't had a bad beer from them yet. Blacks of kinsale have a few good offerings.

Just try something you are unfamiliar with basically.

All three of them are breweries I know well and thoroughly enjoy, I just had a bottle of Brown Shugga with my dinner, what a beer.

I was thinking of just trying a lot of breweries I'd never tired before but was hoping for a few recommendations of stand out individual beers to try that might be rear or limited editions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

martyos121 wrote: »
    Had my first geuze yesterday, just having my first kriek lambic now, Lindemans.

Absolutely class stuff, but it's far more comparable to wine than beer, and I wouldn't be a big wine man. Nice cherry base to it though and like the gueze, I'll probably be ordering a few more bottles.

Was watching a good bit about them on The Craft Beer channel on youtube and so I decided to get one to give it a try. Lads were saying that it's something that's an acquired taste. Going to try it out tomorrow. Pretty expensive though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement