Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Tonight I'm drinking a Siren Blue Sky Blue Sea Gose, amazing beer.

After that I had a Kinnegar Flying Saucer, which is a Export Strength stout. Decent enough, and some good hop bitterness along with the underlying roasted malt. Another good beer from Donegal. Apart from the Limeburner I don't think they've made anything other than good beers.

Also got a couple of GBB bottles, a Space Suit sour and a Diving Bell Wee Heavy. The DB is class, had it a couple of times on tap, and their sours have been excellent.

Tonight I'm drinking a Siren Blue Sky Blue Sea Gose, amazing beer.

After that I had a Kinnegar Flying Saucer, which is a Export Strength stout. Decent enough, and some good hop bitterness along with the underlying roasted malt. Another good beer from Donegal. Apart from the Limeburner I don't think they've made anything other than good beers.

Also got a couple of GBB bottles, a Space Suit sour and a Diving Bell Wee Heavy. The DB is class, had it a couple of times on tap, and their sours have been excellent.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Are the bottles still being sold in packs of two, or are they available separately? Loved Diving Bell, but sours don't do anything for me so I'm not that interested in having to buy a bottle of Space Suit at the same time.

nah, got them separate in McHugh's.

I'm going to try to a small batch clone of Diving Bell, if it turns out decent you can have a bottle.

...but sours are definitely doing it for me, I can't walk past them in the off licence without a literal Pavlovian response. I do be thinking about them at all hours of the day.

• Advertisement

nah, got them separate in McHugh's.

I'm going to try to a small batch clone of Diving Bell, if it turns out decent you can have a bottle.

Cheers, it would be interesting to see how that turns out.

Haven't as yet been to McHughs, but I think I might have to pay a visit.

the bould Brother Trout lives near(ish) the Kilbarrack one. You could drop in and see Pa Trout while you are over that way, see how he's keeping :D

the bould Brother Trout lives near(ish) the Kilbarrack one. You could drop in and see Pa Trout while you are over that way, see how he's keeping :D

I'd be afraid that if I ever met Pa Trout he wouldn't live up to my expectations. It's better never to meet your heroes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

All three of them are breweries I know well and thoroughly enjoy, I just had a bottle of Brown Shugga with my dinner, what a beer.

I was thinking of just trying a lot of breweries I'd never tired before but was hoping for a few recommendations of stand out individual beers to try that might be rear or limited editions.

How would you describe Brown Shugga; a sweetish barley wine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Ipso wrote: »
    How would you describe Brown Shugga; a sweetish barley wine?

With a decent amount of backend bitterness and a nice hoppiness on the tongue as well. I really like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Couple of KPA (6 for €10).
    A Beast Of The Deep. First time I've had this and its much nicer than I was expecting, very soft and creamy.
    Finishing off with an unbeatable (for the moment) World's End (or maybe two). I really hope this turns up on tap my side of the country.

Think I finally managed to line up my drinks in the proper order for my taste tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Couple of KPA (6 for €10).
    A Beast Of The Deep. First time I've had this and its much nicer than I was expecting, very soft and creamy.
    Finishing off with an unbeatable (for the moment) World's End (or maybe two). I really hope this turns up on tap my side of the country.

Think I finally managed to line up my drinks in the proper order for my taste tonight.

Black's KPA is the nicest pale ale I've tasted.

Where did you get 6 Bottles for 10??

It's normally 3 bottles for 9 where I am

Bru Ri IPA
    Tried a few bottles last night..A nice IPA.
    Caramel aftertaste which I find strange..but nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Blacks is lovely stuff alright, waiting for the Rocketship to come back into production.
    Just picked up Grafters IPA , brewed in Kildare, has a refreshing tangerine taste to it, pleasantly surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Blacks is lovely stuff alright, waiting for the Rocketship to come back into production.
    Just picked up Grafters IPA , brewed in Kildare, has a refreshing tangerine taste to it, pleasantly surprised!

Plenty of rocketship in my local dunnes and O'Briens

Plenty of rocketship in my local dunnes and O'Briens

Really? Was told while it wasn't a limited edition, that it was a short run and its not been available anywhere in Tralee for ...2 months I'd guess

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Really? Was told while it wasn't a limited edition, that it was a short run and its not been available anywhere in Tralee for ...2 months I'd guess

Yeah was even part of the 4 for 9 offer, which was brilliant!

Yeah was even part of the 4 for 9 offer, which was brilliant!

Don't rub it in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Black's KPA is the nicest pale ale I've tasted.

Where did you get 6 Bottles for 10??

It's normally 3 bottles for 9 where I am
    It's the cans. O'Briens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Had my first geuze there. Not mad on it to be honest. Very sour. Also just a note for anyone... Drink store have brewdog porter for 1 Euro a bottle. Not a bad little porter.

• Advertisement

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Had my first geuze there. Not mad on it to be honest. Very sour. Also just a note for anyone... Drink store have brewdog porter for 1 Euro a bottle. Not a bad little porter.

Alice Porter? Blackrock Cellar and O'Briens had this on offer also, not €1 mind, wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

I'd imagine it's out of date

jsa112 wrote: »

It is on the 19th alright!

It's the cans. O'Briens.

Ah ok. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Had a bottle of Mikkeller Nuclear Hop Assault at the weekend. One of the best IPAs I've ever had. Alcohol is well hidden too despite it being 8%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

jsa112 wrote: »

It is on the 19th alright!
    Add your reply here.
    Yeah 19th of Feb. Not a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Some tasty threats on alltech beer fest last weekend
    Mostly from ourstanding soulwater from galway
    -omnipollo yellow belly this is beyond and over pure black gold.
    -buxton/ omnipollo collab unreal 12% stout yellow belly sundae
    - trolunga from buxton again sour goodnes with strong apricit aroma
    Salted carmell milk stout from wild beer from uk
    Amazing single hoop on galaxy from lerving
    Also one of the best beers this year so far, omnipollo ice creal pale with a lot of vanilla it actually tasted like ice cream.
    Also had another great brew from buxton,double axe 10% alk not for pussys:)

Finally got around to trying a Sierra Nevada the last night.

Have to say I was fairly disappointed for the prestige of the brand.

If it was going (on offer) for e2.50 for 500ml id consider it again but at 355ml it would probably come in at the same price point as Kinnegar.
    I just couldn't justify the smaller bottles and price when I can get Kenmare or Bru Ri.

I had a Lagunitas a few weeks ago and I have to say that was very tasty and id put that pretty close to the Kinnegar- Scraggy Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

If it was going (on offer) for e2.50 for 500ml id consider it again but at 355ml it would probably come in at the same price point as Kinnegar.
    I just couldn't justify the smaller bottles and price when I can get Kenmare or Bru Ri.

I had a Lagunitas a few weeks ago and I have to say that was very tasty and id put that pretty close to the Kinnegar- Scraggy Bay.

What SN did you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

If you haven't already then try Torpedo, Hop Hunter, Hoptimum and Bigfoot Barleywine. All cracking SN beers in my opinion. Their bog standard Pale Ale is pretty ordinary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement