Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    If you haven't already then try Torpedo, Hop Hunter, Hoptimum and Bigfoot Barleywine. All cracking SN beers in my opinion. Their bog standard Pale Ale is pretty ordinary.

Don't forget Narwhal, which is superb.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    What SN did you have?

Ya it was just the standard 5.6% pale ale.
    Super Valu have it 4 for e10 at the minute but its just not a cut above the 5.0% 500ml options for that price.

I suppose I could try the Torpedo as its 3 for e9 at the minute and the extra % does even it out a tad.

But defo Lagunitas over Sierra Nevada is those 355ml bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Just having a Lagunitas The Hairy Eyeball, all I can say is wow. Unbelievable beer, easily their best and that says something. Have a brown shugga to try next.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had that in the beer market a few weeks ago, better than when I had it in bottle I think. Be great if we could get the barrel aged version of it

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had that in the beer market a few weeks ago, better than when I had it in bottle I think. Be great if we could get the barrel aged version of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Just having a Lagunitas The Hairy Eyeball, all I can say is wow. Unbelievable beer, easily their best and that says something. Have a brown shugga to try next.

I had that last year but wasn't crazy about it. I have a Cappucono Stout to try this week, and their Gnarly Wine is out soon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Black Donkey - Buck It (bottle from Tesco). Did like, will buy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but interesting read - explains why Galway Bay are cutting Goodbye Blue Monday. http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/feb/08/hop-shortage-could-be-the-making-of-craft-beer

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    (Sierra Nevada's) bog standard Pale Ale is pretty ordinary.

I disagree. It's an all-time classic and one of the beers that introduced me to the world of craft. When I first tried it I thought it was really bitter and hoppy - funny how your tastebuds change. It's still a go-to beer for me when I just want something that's tasty, balanced and not overly high in alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

I disagree. It's an all-time classic and one of the beers that introduced me to the world of craft.
    Fair enough, I just meant in comparison to some of the more distinctly flavoured ones around. I don't think its a bad beer, just not one I'd bother with anymore as there are some other session pale ales and IPAs that I prefer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Galway Bay Brewery Kompass Hopfendunkle.

Nicely balanced dark German-style beer with an unexpected tang of banana. €4.85 for a 33cl glass and 8.2% ABV. Thought that was a typo when I seen it. Incredible value imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

having a Fransiskaner now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rufuseric82

Passenger wrote: »
    Galway Bay Brewery Kompass Hopfendunkle.

Nicely balanced dark German-style beer with an unexpected tang of banana. €4.85 for a 33cl glass and 8.2% ABV. Thought that was a typo when I seen it. Incredible value imho.

Totally agree. One of the most distinctive beers I've had in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The Salthouse have Buxton's Tsar, Living End and Bomba on tap. Stopped in for one last night before they were snapped up. I've had Tsar and Bomba before so I went with the Living End. It's an absolute wallop of a barrel aged imperial stout, with really raw intense bourbon flavours and plenty of heat. Very enjoyable, but at €10 for a 330ml pour - one is enough!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I know red ales occasionally get a bit of a hard time on here, but I'm interested in trying a few more of them.

I know I like Franciscan Well's Rebel Red. What are O'Hara's and Dungarvan's offerings like?

Any others that would be rated as ones to try first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The Brehon red is pretty good, as reds go.

O'Hara's is grand too.

I don't reds are maligned for being bad beers, per se, just that it's a pretty inoffensive and bland style, hard to do anything decent with.

Other reds of note are Rascal's "Big Hop" (it isn't but it's not a bad red ale) and...erm...

O'Hara's is grand too.

I don't reds are maligned for being bad beers, per se, just that it's a pretty inoffensive and bland style, hard to do anything decent with.

Other reds of note are Rascal's "Big Hop" (it isn't but it's not a bad red ale) and...erm...

O'Hara's is grand too.

Cheers, I'll see if I can swing by SuperValue over the weekend so. I've a bottle of OFAF set aside anyway so I'm only looking for something to get me started before I kick into the flavourful stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Rascals - Big Hop Red
    Third Cirlce - Red Ale
    Cromarty Brewing Co. - Red Rocker
    Tiny Rebel - Cwtch

All great beers that I've had recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

An File wrote: »
    I know red ales occasionally get a bit of a hard time on here, but I'm interested in trying a few more of them.

I know I like Franciscan Well's Rebel Red. What are O'Hara's and Dungarvan's offerings like?

Any others that would be rated as ones to try first?

Brehon red is decent but Wood Keys Pilgrim Irish Red Ale is really good.
    Give them both a lash.

• Advertisement

Thanks, lads. I'll keep an eye out for them. Not sure if all of those can be got in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Brehon red is decent but Wood Keys Pilgrim Irish Red Ale is really good.
    Give them both a lash.

Second both variations of Brehon reds and the Wood Keys reds as well.

Got a Brehon for tonight and a Wood Key for tomorrow. Was tempted to take the Merry Pilgrim as well but I'll leave that for another week!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Picked up a bottle of the Barrell aged Black Boar from White Hag. At 20 quid I wont be picking up another one no matter how lovely it is (If it is).

Might leave it for another day...

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

An File wrote: »
    Thanks, lads. I'll keep an eye out for them. Not sure if all of those can be got in Limerick.

Brú Rúa is definitely worth picking up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Rascals - Big Hop Red
    Third Cirlce - Red Ale
    Cromarty Brewing Co. - Red Rocker
    Tiny Rebel - Cwtch

All great beers that I've had recently.
    White Hag Fleadh ale is a nice red also.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Had a the radick ale blackwater distillery special edition. No hops, botanicals instead. Was not expecting the bitterness, cardamom, other "ginny" flavours. Interesting beer, not sure I'd plum for another bottle.

Also had the rascals ginger porter, thought it seemed lacking a bit of body, otherwise good.

CbCdXQ1WAAE_t-6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Picked up a bottle of Dan Kelly's Cider on a whim, I'm not a cider guy usually but it's pretty decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Having my first beer in a month due to medication I've been on. Decided that I might as well go the whole hog and make it worthwhile, so getting back into the swing of things with a Siren Quadrophenia. I think I've only ever had one quad before, a long time ago, so I've nothing really to compare it to. But I will say that it's sweet, sticky, heavy with a slightly fruity finish that doesn't feel the need to hide its 9.3% too much and I love it! Even better, I have a second bottle lurking around the house somewhere. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement