Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

A few new ones recently

-White Hag - Black Boar....WOW...probably the best Irish beer I've had in bottle.

-O'Brother - Joe, not a huge fan, could be just me and coffee stout/porter, while I love coffee mixing it with beer just doesn't seem to work for me.

-Fran Well - Imperial IPA
    Very tasty and hides the high abv well

-Left Hand - Nitro Milk Stout
    -Left Hand - Black Jack Porter
    Both decent, but not spectacular.

Have a few newbies waiting in the wings
    Lagunitas Brown Shugga
    Uternos Baltic Chili Porter (not had the chili one before, but really like the regular version)
    Porterhouse - Celebration Irish Stout (had this penciled in for after the rugby, but alas...)

and a few favorites
    Williams Brothers Fraoch
    Woodkey - Pilgrim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

-O'Brother - Joe, not a huge fan, could be just me and coffee stout/porter, while I love coffee mixing it with beer just doesn't seem to work for me.

Maybe try No Joe, it's the Porter without the coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Maybe try No Joe, it's the Porter without the coffee

it's really good, had a bottle on Friday night, I don't like coffee, so this was a welcome surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Heading back to Barca next Wednesday. Bar Biercab and the new Brewdog place any spots to check out?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Try Black Lab and La Cerveteca, if you've not been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

RasTa wrote: »
    Heading back to Barca next Wednesday. Bar Biercab and the new Brewdog place any spots to check out?
    never been, but work with a fella from Barcelona, apparently it's considered really bad form to refer to Barcelona as Barca and that it's reserved for the football team :pac:. Same goes for referring to San Francisco as San Fran :). Enjoy, I'd love to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Currently drinking Clough More heather ipa....bland is all I'll say about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Al6cEij.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm generally not a huge fan of wheat beers, but I'll make an exception for some of them like dunkelweizens. However the Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus I'm drinking at the moment has to be the best of them all. It's an amazingly good beer. I didn't enjoy the last weizenbock I had (Ayinger), but there's no comparison between that and this. It's malty and yeasty and bready and now sadly all gone, but I will definitely be stocking up on more soon.

I like regular weiz beers but Tap 6 is exceptional. Worth trying 4 and 5 too not your usual weiz beers. I have Tap X I've been saving to try expecting good things. My favourite I've tried is probably Weihenstephaner Vitus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Tap 6 Aventinus is one of my favourite beers, wheat or otherwise. There's a complex fruity character that you don't get from other weizens or dunkelweizens. It's a similar fruity complexity that you'd get from a Trappist ale I think. The Wine Centre in Kilkenny just recently got them in and I'm over the moon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

20160218_184211.jpg

Stocked up for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

20160218_184211.jpg

Stocked up for the weekend.

Nice! Where did you get the Double Irish??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Nice! Where did you get the Double Irish??

My local O'Briens have it so presumably others too. Picked up a few of them. Got the rest in Deveneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Disappointed with the Thornbridge Sierra Nevada collab pale ale

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

My local O'Briens have it so presumably others too. Picked up a few of them. Got the rest in Deveneys.

Savage,cheers. Thought that stuff was long gone out of production. Great to see that its back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Having a bottle of Grafter's IPA to wash down my mum's Biryani and roti which she forced (didn't take much) on me as I was leaving the home place earlier this evening. A fine combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Foxes Rock 'American Style' IPA brewed by Cumberland brewery in Newry.

Smells OK, Tastes Gack.

Seems every Nordie brewery I get a beer from is pretty crap bar Kinnegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Maybe the fact that it's actually a Free State beer is it's saving grace ;)

Thought crossed my mind ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Foxes Rock 'American Style' IPA brewed by Cumberland brewery in Newry.

Smells OK, Tastes Gack.

I won a hamper of Foxes Rock and Kentucky Bourbon beers at Alltech. I took the Foxes Rock Stout home and tried to offload the rest at the Brewdock as I can't stand the Kentucky stuff and didn't rate the pale ale or lager from Foxes. Literally none of the staff wanted any of it so I gave it all to some randomer at the bar.

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    I won a hamper of Foxes Rock and Kentucky Bourbon beers at Alltech. I took the Foxes Rock Stout home and tried to offload the rest at the Brewdock as I can't stand the Kentucky stuff and didn't rate the pale ale or lager from Foxes. Literally none of the staff wanted any of it so I gave it all to some randomer at the bar.

Ha that's gas. Can't give the stuff away! Unfortunately I paid 3.50 for the pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Maybe the fact that the "Northern" brewery was started by a free stater who moved to America and who's main business is animal nutrition?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

To be fair to our northern brethren, Northbound's 33 Sticke Alt is a very tasty beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Red Wolf wrote: »
    Maybe the fact that the "Northern" brewery was started by a free stater who moved to America and who's main business is animal nutrition?
    It wasn't. Eddie Haughey was born in Louth, though, so you're not completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Disappointed with the Thornbridge Sierra Nevada collab pale ale

If that's 'Twin Peaks' then I thoroughly agree. Bland. I really like 'Colorado Red' the one they did with Odell I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

BeerNut wrote: »
    It wasn't. Eddie Haughey was born in Louth, though, so you're not completely wrong.
    OK, I should have said is currently owned by

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

To be fair to our northern brethren, Northbound's 33 Sticke Alt is a very tasty beer.

+1 to that

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

+1 to that

+2 :) ....33 Sticke is a very tasty beer. Still can't beat the real alt in Dusseldorf tho.....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

+2 :) ....33 Sticke is a very tasty beer. Still can't beat the real alt in Dusseldorf tho.....

I agree, but it's nice to have something local to keep me going until I can make it back to Dusseldorf sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I agree, but it's nice to have something local to keep me going until I can make it back to Dusseldorf sometime.

Where do you find that beer? Spent a year in Dusseldorf and would love to find something similar. Living in Kildare but working in Dublin and haven't seen it anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement