Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Half way through a Siren Caribbean Chocolate Cake. It's my first time having it and I'm blown away by it. A fantastic stout!

Where did you get this. Looking for it around Dublin along with the Siren Quadraphina.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Should still be easy to get still in drinkstore baggot street redmonds, even donnybrook fair have it.

May not find quadrophina, it wasn't any good so no big loss

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Siren's Caribbean chocolate cake was in stock at Hollands in bra yesterday. There was about 8-10 bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Siren's Caribbean chocolate cake was in stock at Hollands in bra yesterday. There was about 8-10 bottles.

Nothing like a trip to bra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

jsa112 wrote: »
    Should still be easy to get still in drinkstore baggot street redmonds, even donnybrook fair have it.

May not find quadrophina, it wasn't any good so no big loss

That's a pity, liked the sounds of it, love a good quad. I'll have a look for the stout though, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Sipping on an english bw I made last summer which has turned out to be a very nice dubbel somehow

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Where did you get this. Looking for it around Dublin along with the Siren Quadraphina.

Devaney's in Dundrum had Quadrophenia the last couple of times I was there. And I think Drinkstore had it recently as well. I got Caribbean Chocolate Cake in Drinkstore a couple of weeks ago, but it was the last bottle they had then. No idea if they've got any more in since.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Zaph wrote: »
    Devaney's in Dundrum had Quadrophenia the last couple of times I was there. And I think Drinkstore had it recently as well. I got Caribbean Chocolate Cake in Drinkstore a couple of weeks ago, but it was the last bottle they had then. No idea if they've got any more in since.

Drink store is loosing i my eyes recentlly most of coz they dont really care with proper stock display and ****ty website. I did confront them with these concerns and they just dont care at all.

Fresh supermarket on smitfield at the other hand has great selection in my opinion( big cans of mikkeller tool bira del borgo or brewdog) it is only 20 c more then drink store and often 6 for 5 deal
    Great option for those located d7 for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Drinkstore used to get almost all my custom but they get less and less since they've stopped updating their website on a regular basis. It's a pity because I always liked popping in to get my order and having a chat to the lads.

They're definitely missing a trick considering the proliferation of craft beer in other offies and supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A good weekend, found a heap of stuff in the bargain bin down in McHughs and supplemented with a few I'd wanted to try for a while:)

Liquid Monstrous by Siren Craft Brew (stellar stuff!)
    Dark Water Stout by Cloughmore (not great, bit thin)
    Broken Dream Breakfast Stout by Siren Craft Brew (very nice!)
    Fiach Dubh by Whitewater (not impressed, like a watery Guinness)
    Undercurrent by Siren Craft Brew (tasty)
    Aker by Naparbier (pretty good)
    World's End by Blacks Of Kinsale (Wow, stunning stuff)
    Beer Camp Tropical IPA (2016) by Sierra Nevada (Very, very unusual and well worth trying, couldn't have more than one at a go though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Drinkstore used to get almost all my custom but they get less and less since they've stopped updating their website on a regular basis. It's a pity because I always liked popping in to get my order and having a chat to the lads.

They're definitely missing a trick considering the proliferation of craft beer in other offies and supermarkets.

Ya the website has gone so poor. My last few orders have all been with McHughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Rumun wrote: »
    Drink store is loosing i my eyes recentlly most of coz they dont really care with proper stock display and ****ty website. I did confront them with these concerns and they just dont care at all.

Fresh supermarket on smitfield at the other hand has great selection in my opinion( big cans of mikkeller tool bira del borgo or brewdog) it is only 20 c more then drink store and often 6 for 5 deal
    Great option for those located d7 for sure.

I'll go local over a chain like Fresh every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Oh Brother No Joe Porter

On draught in The Beer Market. First I've had from this Wicklow Brewery and at 6.7% and €6.50 for a pint it's a pretty decent sup. Definitely one of the more rich-bodied Porters that I've had from an Irish brewery. Moderate body and nicely balanced flavour too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Their other beers are well worth checking out too

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Porterhouse - Celebration Irish Stout (bottle)
    Very nice and one of the nicest stouts I've had, will be buying again

Wood Key - Raven (bottle)
    Really like this, could go down very well on a summers day. I'd imagine this is great beer for a session.

Celis - White/Wit Beer (250ml Bottle)
    Nice and refreshing. but can't understand why a 5%abv beer is in a 250ml bottle. Unlikely to buy again unless I could pick it up for €2 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Their other beers are well worth checking out too

Anything in particular you'd recommend from them?

the chancer is great.

they've a blood orange black ipa out at the moment, heard it's pretty good but haven't had a chance to taste it.

their best brew was one called bonita, it was a seasonal (perhaps once off) but hopefully they'll make it again.

So trouble brewing finally create a good beer in "wired IPA", but then they say it's limited.

For the love of **** lads do not limit this. It's a really nice brew and head and shoulders above anything you've done previously.

And 8 degrees don't you ****ing dare take "double Irish" IPA off the shelves this time. The more double IPA offerings we have on Irish shores the better.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

So trouble brewing finally create a good beer in "wired IPA", but then they say it's limited.

I think that's a bit unfair, Dark Arts Porter is a superb beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

For the love of **** lads do not limit this. It's a really nice brew and head and shoulders above anything you've done previously.

And 8 degrees don't you ****ing dare take "double Irish" IPA off the shelves this time. The more double IPA offerings we have on Irish shores the better.

Trouble have been making good beers since they launched and then they changed brewers it got even better. Wired is just yet another in a stellar lineup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Passenger wrote: »
    Oh Brother No Joe Porter

On draught in The Beer Market. First I've had from this Wicklow Brewery and at 6.7% and €6.50 for a pint it's a pretty decent sup. Definitely one of the more rich-bodied Porters that I've had from an Irish brewery. Moderate body and nicely balanced flavour too.

Had a bottle of this earlier and it's excellent. Prefer this one.

Trouble have been making good beers since they launched and then they changed brewers it got even better. Wired is just yet another in a stellar lineup.

Personally I think their regular line up is average including the dark arts porter.

Stormy port from Galway bay is streaks ahead of it.

Wired IPA is on a different level.

Hopefully they build from it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hopefully they build from it.
    I'm no botanist but I think hops are grown rather than built. If your favourite beer is limited, or cancelled, or has changed, the chances are it's a hop supply issue.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm no botanist but I think hops are grown rather than built. If your favourite beer is limited, or cancelled, or has changed, the chances are it's a hop supply issue.

Or the company testing the water with it to gauge interest which is fine I get that. Sure it's a business at the end of the day.
    If enough people buy it like Amber Ella for example it'll enter their core range.

And in fairness in being picky. I don't tend to drink the core range from any of them any more.
    Great to help people into craft beer but I'm at a stage where I'm always looking for something different or that wows me.

There's a few exceptions like..
    Howling gale from 8 degrees which I think is a fantastic pale ale light citrusy and refreshing to the nth degree and will be perfect bbq season drinking in the summer.
    Stormy port from Galway bay gets it right on the porter front with really good body and rich deep flavour. Nice on a cold winters day.

These days I tend to go for imperials where there massive flavours and aromas so when I go back to core ranges I just feel they're missing something.

Flavour wise I think trouble brewing absolutely nailed it with Wired IPA showing that it doesn't need to be a high abv beer to have heaps and heaps of flavour.

If love to know the quantities of hops they used actually. All of them are quite high in alpha acid which I felt really gave the beer a love bitterness without being overpowering.

Looking forward to having a few more of them i must say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If enough people buy it like Amber Ella for example it'll enter their core range.
    The converse argument is Windjammer: massively popular but the Nelson Sauvin shortage means it's on indefinite suspension.
    Flavour wise I think trouble brewing absolutely nailed it with Wired IPA showing that it doesn't need to be a high abv beer to have heaps and heaps of flavour.
    I completely agree, but I think this is/was also true of Graffiti, Oh Yeah!, Centennial SMASH, Equinox SMASH, Hidden Agenda, Vietnow and probably several other Trouble beers I've forgotten. Point is, fantastic hop flavours at sessionable ABVs has been their stock-in-trade for a while now. It didn't arrive with Wired, brilliant and all that it is. And hopefully the new head brewer, whenever he or she takes over, will keep that going when the Wired runs out.

The converse argument is Windjammer: massively popular but the Nelson Sauvin shortage means it's on indefinite suspension.

I completely agree, but I think this is/was also true of Graffiti, Oh Yeah!, Centennial SMASH, Equinox SMASH, Hidden Agenda, Vietnow and probably several other Trouble beers I've forgotten. Point is, fantastic hop flavours at sessionable ABVs has been their stock-in-trade for a while now. It didn't arrive with Wired, brilliant and all that it is. And hopefully the new head brewer, whenever he or she takes over, will keep that going when the Wired runs out.

Being totally honest I haven't had their other one off's so I really shouldn't have said only good beer they've produced. My apologies.
    I was really meaning in comparison to the core range.
    Glad to hear they've done other good limited runs and I'll look out for them in the future.
    In the mean time I'll pick up a few more wired IPA's. Might even store a few for the summer (although I know IPA's are best fresh)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

I completely agree, but I think this is/was also true of Graffiti, Oh Yeah!, Centennial SMASH, Equinox SMASH, Hidden Agenda, Vietnow and probably several other Trouble beers I've forgotten.
    Hardwired, Dash Away, Hop Priority, Remix, Big Bear Brown, Blood Brother. So much awesomeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Had brewdogs Elvis Juice last night it's lovely and highly drinkable if you were blind tasting you'd nearly think it was 3% or below, Beavertowns Imperial smog is on tonight's agenda

Currently sipping a GBB 303 at the gasworks. Lovely and tart.

First time here at the gasworks. It's a nice and roomy bar. Makes a nice difference to those hot and sweaty nights in the brewdock :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Naparbier Undead Remastered a Spanish Imperial IPA weighing in at 100 IBU/9% ABV

Flavour is sour & fruity with a pronounced bitterness, aroma has the fruitiness typical of cascade hops.

Would definately imbibe again, brought home from a trip to the Iberian peninsula recently.

naparbierundead_01.jpg?w=300&h=300

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement