Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Got a decent pay-bump and decided to celebrate by finally giving in and paying the crazy BrewDog beer postage fees (£19 a crate!!) mainly wanted a teku glass and one of those nice IPA glasses but thought I would make it worth my while and get some BrewDog prototypes and stuff I don't see anywhere here in Cork (along with some Mikkeller, Green Flash and Stone stuff for same reason).

Altogether got x2 of all the BrewDog stuff in the picture (including glasses as a gift to a fellow beer-head) came to about €130 including delivery, so not bad when you consider the price of anything nice in offies here.

Favourites so far have been the insanely delicious yet balanced Albino Squid Assassin, Mikkeller White Blonde for it's subtle yet intricate taste and the IPL which is a genius mix of refreshing and hop-sparkle.

Love the container it came in and extras, BrewDog don't do advertising...they do PROPAGANDA. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Enjoying a bottle of Boon Oude Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Anyone had this years' 200 Fathoms?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They were pouring all three at The Gasworks last night. Possibly still are. The 2015 was the best, IMO, but the new one has the potential to be as good in a year's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup, was a bit hectic down at the bar from about 7-7:30pm last night. waited for a while and picked up a 2016 and 2014 to compare it too.

both were good, I do think the 2016 needs more time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Nope.

What is it matured in this year?

Teeling last year wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Teeling again.

Teeling again.

Last years was nice as far as I remember so definately pick up a couple of bottles

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think I still have two of last year's somewhere. Really looking forward to trying this year's release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Enjoyed Brew Dog's arcade nation. Tis how I like my black IPA's to taste. Going to clone it from that book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

BeerNut wrote: »
    They were pouring all three at The Gasworks last night. Possibly still are. The 2015 was the best, IMO, but the new one has the potential to be as good in a year's time.

Ah, didn't see you there.

Was sat in the corner and got brought down 2, fairly sure it must have been the 2015 rather than the new one, because when we bought the 2014 and the 2016 neither tasted like the first one we were brought down!

Whatever the first one we were given was, was our favourite. Agree that new one probably needs to settle a bit.

Loved the O'Brother No Joe I had first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This year's 200 fathoms is completely overrated.
    Haven't tasted it yet, though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Got some Siren 7 Seas, Stone Barrel Coffee and Oatmeal Stout, Gneas DPA, Jack Cody Hail Glorious St Patrick Extra Stout and the Metalman Chilli Porter.

Dunno whether I think the Gneas can design is really cheap or striking looking. The can has this nice tactile texture as well. Had this on draught in Kerry before and really liked it.

DSC_0108.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

I'd love to get my hands on a 2014 bottle of 200 Fathoms. I have a bottle of last years fathoms. I can't wait to compare it with the 2016 batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Its a little rough around the edges. Could have done with another few months tbh. Buy bottles and cellar them in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Northern Monk Mocha Porter, cracking stuff, coffee, chocolate, sweet malt. Really good,second time having one of their beers and both been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

2016 200 fathoms definitely a bit of a disappointment, much preferred 2015, and to a lesser extent 2014. Definitely agree with cellaring any bottles. Getting lot of dark cherry flavours off this years, never had that before with a BA stout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Enjoying a few Schneider Weisse Tap 7 tonight

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had never heard of No Joe before I read the last page of this thread, but now I find a glass of it in my hand.

And it. Is. Lovely.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

An File wrote: »
    I had never heard of No Joe before I read the last page of this thread, but now I find a glass of it in my hand.

And it. Is. Lovely.

Just finished my first one myself and I concur. Although I had my first Joe the other day, and given the choice I'd go for Joe every time as I thought it was superb.

• Advertisement

Brewdog Albino Squid Assassin, red rye ipa. Really, really good, super hoppy hit and balanced with roasted malts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Pubs who put ice into glasses awaiting beer should be hung up by their ankles and beat by a sack of foul entrails until sorry.

Rhubarb tart IPA. Tis good

Jack Codys Lazy Eye IPA, an odd one, far more malty than hoppy. Suits my palate but it's very malty at first, caramel, banana and sweetness then some hops. Enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pubs who put ice into glasses awaiting beer should be hung up by their ankles and beat by a sack of foul entrails until sorry.

Why?
    Personally, I don't like my beer too chilled but the average punter does. Why is this such an awful practice? Worse than those frozen tap mounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Why?
    Personally, I don't like my beer too chilled but the average punter does. Why is this such an awful practice? Worse than those frozen tap mounts?

Usually a good sign of poor storage, grand for you're filtered pasteurised macro stuff.

oblivious wrote: »
    Usually a good sign of poor storage, grand for you're filtered pasteurised macro stuff.

The frozen tap thing does look pretty darn "cool" though. .......

.......sorry

Drowning ny sorrows in serious style tonight. Bottle of Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

BrewDog Prototype: Elvis Juice V2.0
    Delicious citrusy resiny stuff, I just hope the bigger batch of this stuff is as nice!

Rascal: Yankee White IPA
    It was OK, had a nice Wit-ty herb to it but was kind of ruined by an overly harsh pils-style bitter finish.

Kinnegar: Swingletree
    Loved this last year, so glad is back (for a while..)
    Nice subtle sour, good hopping but mild not spiky so it is very smooth and drinkable, gets better as it warms up (I goofed and put it in the fridge -_- ).
    One of the nicest Saisons I have had outside of Lithuania, if anyone has any other good Saison/Farmhouse Ale recommendations and where/how they might be available let me know as they are far and few between.

Wish I didn't have to work in the morning, so many homebrews and craft-batches on hand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Just try the belgian saisons like dupont, bon les veux, feuillitine or whatever ones are around offys. Probably butchered a few names there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement