Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Kinnegar: Swingletree
    One of the nicest Saisons I have had outside of Lithuania, if anyone has any other good Saison/Farmhouse Ale recommendations and where/how they might be available let me know as they are far and few between.

my favourite is Anchor's Saison...really like that.
    Urthel also do a good one which can usually be picked up at a reasonable price, I prefer it to the Dupond saison.
    Not had Fantome or Feuillien ones, but they are available and highly rated also.

just noticed, your location is Cork
    Bradleys in North Main St or Abbot Ale House near McCurtain Street would be your best bet but also any of the O'Dovovans offlies should have a selection.
    Fran Well did a Saison last summer which they had ontop for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

jsa112 wrote: »
    Just try the belgian saisons like dupont, bon les veux, feuillitine or whatever ones are around offys. Probably butchered a few names there

Got in there before me. Loads of them out there.

Glad to hear the kinnegar one is good though. I have 3 bottles in the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

My local is a real traditional Oirish pub. Does an amazing Guinness. Sometimes I like the perfectly poured Heineken, with a small head, uber cold and not too bitter :)

I've got Miller in the fridge incase friends come over, not the greatest stuff but it is better than nothing!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

if anyone has any other good Saison/Farmhouse Ale recommendations and where/how they might be available let me know as they are far and few between.
    I thought the Third Circle one was particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Never seen a St-Feuillien Saison, love some of their other beers so will keep an eye out.
    Haven't had Anchor Saison in years, must give that a try again, thanks.
    Not had Urthel in donkeys-years at some point in Belgium, will have to check that out again, same goes for Dupont.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, had forgotten about all the Belgian Saisons it appears :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Never seen a St-Feuillien Saison, love some of their other beers so will keep an eye out.
    It looks like this:
    604111_10151352396552601_1389125615_n.png
    4 for a tenner any time I've seen it, which is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

BeerNut wrote: »
    I thought the Third Circle one was particularly good.

I had their rye stout there the other day again.

I thought it was really good the first time but wasn't as gone on it this time round.

It's good but not as good as I thought it was.

Might have to have a third one just to know for sure. You know a deciding round if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Elemonator wrote: »
    Sometimes I like the perfectly poured Heineken, with a small head, uber cold and not too bitter :)

I think the perfectly poured Heineken is the one poured down the sink, but each to their own ;-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Tried O brother the sinner at the weekend, not a fan at all. No real hop flavour and just very sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Was in deveneys today, grabbed a can of Elvis juice and Caribbean stout for tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Had the Siren Quadrophenia over the weekend, should have listened to the advice a few pages back. Didn't like it at all. Far to much coffee taste and no fruit coming through, glad I only got one. Also had Elvis Juice, very nice. Got Kompas in Against the Grain yesterday and really liked it but was just lacking something. Didn't feel like a 8.5% beer either, hope they keep brewing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

An File wrote: »
    Drowning ny sorrows in serious style tonight. Bottle of Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. Beautiful.

I picked up a bottle of that a few months ago. I am trying to save it.. each night I hear its bark from the cupboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Founders Rübæus

313fef7ee1a111e2950722000a1fc86f_7.jpg?w=479

Had a glass of this the other night. Not the biggest fan of sweet, fruity ales but Founders make this an exception. Refreshing and natural tasting raspberry flavour without anything artificial. Definitely recommend for anybody into fruity ales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Hop House 13 in bottles are very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

LIES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

LIES

Honestly, really enjoyed them. The draught didn't do it for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I spent all last week in Belgium which was a surprise present from my fiancee which involved a trip to Sint-Sixtusabdij Westvleteren to pick up a case of the 12 :D

All together there are too many beers to list but I'd say the best brewery that I had beer from was De Struise. I had the Pannepot, Curvee Delphine and Black Damnation and they were all fantastic. I have some more to try too.

And tonight I went to the gasworks to try Two Hundred Fathoms. I had a taste of the three versions and much prefered the 2015 version. It has a much fuller body and bigger chocolate and coffee flavours before the whiskey kicks in. The 2016 is still nice but didn't have quite the same oomp. I had the 2014 last and found it very sweet compared to the other two. I wonder how much of that is down to the ageing process mellowing the whiskey at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Would love to know how long each 200 fathoms year was aged for, there's definitely different tastes in each one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

On foot of the reports here I picked up an O Brother's Joe on the way home this evening. I'm very impressed. A lovely smooth, full bodied stout with plenty of coffee, but it isn't overpowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

jsa112 wrote: »
    Would love to know how long each 200 fathoms year was aged for, there's definitely different tastes in each one

This years one was in barrels for 3 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

Leann Folláin on cask in Gasworks.

Holy shít! What a beer. I've had a few bottles of it over the years but never in a pub and certainly not from the cask.

Finally getting a chance to try Leann Follain after seeing good things said about it on here.

Have never tried the craft stouts or lagers and was always apprehensive about sliding from my IPAs.

Super Valu have O'Haras back on 4 for e10 so I took one with the IPAs.
    Actually I don't think Leann Follain was ever included(???) in the 4 for e10 so probably handy for the regulars.

Very unusual taste.... Very unsure how much I like it but I definitely do like it.
    I honestly didn't even know what to expect after only having Guinness/Beamish/Murphys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Finally getting a chance to try Leann Follain after seeing good things said about it on here.

Have never tried the craft stouts or lagers and was always apprehensive about sliding from my IPAs.

Super Valu have O'Haras back on 4 for e10 so I took one with the IPAs.
    Actually I don't think Leann Follain was ever included(???) in the 4 for e10 so probably handy for the regulars.

Very unusual taste.... Very unsure how much I like it but I definitely do like it.
    I honestly didn't even know what to expect after only having Guinness/Beamish/Murphys.

What temperature did you have it at? It's a completely different drink when at room temperature, which all decent stouts should be served at.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Honestly, really enjoyed them. The draught didn't do it for me at all.

If its not brewed by a bearded crusty in a cardigan in a shed its not real beer;)

Sure, what would Guinness know about beer:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Let's not get into it again folks. Good beer and bad beer are both made by big and small breweries.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Having a geuze for the first time - boon oude geuze mariage parfait.

Not sure what I was expecting, the dryness is great. It nearly reminds me of dry cider if that makes sense?

Very refreshing, and not "sour" in the sense I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Some people like it, I find it ok if Iwas stuck and a mate of mine loves the stuff. I was talking to a she-yank recently who was telling me she was quite fond of hoppy beers (She was really enjoying her HH13) and that she wasn't a stranger to microbrews. So I told her to get a pint of Kinnegar Scraggy Bay; seeing her face change was priceless! Needless to say she stayed on Kinnegar for the night.
    Passenger wrote: »
    Founders Rübæus

313fef7ee1a111e2950722000a1fc86f_7.jpg?w=479

Had a glass of this the other night. Not the biggest fan of sweet, fruity ales but Founders make this an exception. Refreshing and natural tasting raspberry flavour without anything artificial. Definitely recommend for anybody into fruity ales.

Out of curiosity where did you pick it up? I've been keeping an eye out for bottles for the last year and a half but with no luck. Given I don't see much stuff from Founders here in Sligo. I got the mrs and her friend a glass of it i the Brew Dock and they couldn't get enough of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

G rock wrote: »
    Having a geuze for the first time - boon oude geuze mariage parfait.

Not sure what I was expecting, the dryness is great. It nearly reminds me of dry cider if that makes sense?

Very refreshing, and not "sour" in the sense I expected.

Posted pretty much the same as you not so long ago. That same beer was my first dabble into sours and I would have described it as cidery too. I'm going to be trying as many as I can coming into summer to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

New batch of St Mel's spring bock tonight. Less smokey than last year for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

slayerking wrote: »
    New batch of St Mel's spring bock tonight. Less smokey than last year for sure.

Ah, loved the smoke in last year's one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement