Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Picked up a couple bottles of 200 Fathoms earlier today and having one now. It's a poor imitation of last years offering, (which I loved), or the year before (which I also loved). Body feels very thin for an Imperial Stout and the alcohol is very upfront and very harsh. Not much in the way of malty richness or complexity either.

Hopefully it'll get better with age. I'm just glad I didn't stock up with loads.

That's disappointing, especially as I shelled out for 3 bottles the other day.

Currently enjoying a Kinnegar Flying Saucer. I can see why people here have rated it so highly, it's a superb beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Strange that it would taste so different. I'm guessing they use the same recipe each year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

RasTa wrote: »
    Strange that it would taste so different. I'm guessing they use the same recipe each year

I imagine there would be small tweaks every year. Plus I don't think it was in the barrels for quite as long this year. They may have rushed it a bit because of Chris leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Picked up a couple bottles of 200 Fathoms earlier today and having one now. It's a poor imitation of last years offering, (which I loved), or the year before (which I also loved). Body feels very thin for an Imperial Stout and the alcohol is very upfront and very harsh. Not much in the way of malty richness or complexity either.

Hopefully it'll get better with age. I'm just glad I didn't stock up with loads.

I did find 2016 on tap needed a lot more time to settle and the alcohol quite overpowering. Had my first bottle of it at the weekend and had the opposite experience to you. Found it thick and rich without the upfront booziness of the draught. Bought a few more yesterday off the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Picked up a 200 Fathoms in Deveneys there. Still a few there if anybody looking for one.

Stocked up for Patrick's Day with a few I've not tried before : Beavertown Imperial Lord Smog Almighty (possibly best name I've seen this year), Eviltwin Ashtray Heart, Brewdog Cocoa Pyscho and Nogne O Two Captains.

Delighted to see Siren Carribean Chocolate Cake too as I think it's a lovely beer so a few of them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Picked up a 200 Fathoms in Deveneys there. Still a few there if anybody looking for one.

Stocked up for Patrick's Day with a few I've not tried before : Beavertown Imperial Lord Smog Almighty (possibly best name I've seen this year), Eviltwin Ashtray Heart, Brewdog Cocoa Pyscho and Nogne O Two Captains.

Delighted to see Siren Carribean Chocolate Cake too as I think it's a lovely beer so a few of them too.

Lord Smog is amazing, the can is class too and you can peel the label off

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Not G.R wrote: »
    You're getting a GBB bar this year so maybe next year! ;)

I can try and pick one up in Dublin and send it down if you like?

Meant to get back to you about this! Thanks for the offer.

Turns out I was wrong and O'Brien's had a few cases in as well. I picked up a third bottle this evening. :)

Also got an 8 Degrees barley wine, a Black's Model T and World's End, and O Brother Joe and No Joe (x2) in the 6-for-5 deal. 7 great Irish beers for just under €30. Happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Nahh, brewdog takes the price for albino assasin squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Chocolate truffle stout apparently just tapped at porterhouse Templebar

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

/me runs down to Porterhouse Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

beer_394181.jpg

Kinnegar Flying Saucer Stout

Nicely balanced, medium carbonation and probably the most enjoyable brew that I've had from Kinnegar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

All their beers are delicious..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Lord Smog is amazing, the can is class too and you can peel the label off

It really is great. I didn't know that about the label - what's behind it?

I am having a Hop City HopBot IPA. Really wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by it.

On another note, is there anywhere that I could still pick up a 200 Fathoms around Dublin in time for Paddy's Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

fjon wrote: »
    On another note, is there anywhere that I could still pick up a 200 Fathoms around Dublin in time for Paddy's Day?

The Beer Market still had bottles of it in the fridge the other night.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The guy in Drinkstore told me last week that he was getting in a very large supply and expected to have some for a while.

fjon wrote: »

Deveneys still had a few yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Your money would be better off on buying Founders KBS

jsa112 wrote: »

Why not both?

I saw 200 fathoms in fresh in grand canal dock on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

From someone who tried the 2016-2014 kegs as well as 3x2016 bottles, id recommend spending your money elsewhere, like 2 kbs. Although if you want to try something new then sure get 200 fathoms. 2015 was so good, such a shame that 2016 wasnt

Fresh in smithfield is really good btw

Would pick up a few like a light if I saw them in Dublin. Does anywhere still have them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

From someone who tried the 2016-2014 kegs as well as 3x2016 bottles, id recommend spending your money elsewhere, like 2 kbs. Although if you want to try something new then sure get 200 fathoms. 2015 was so good, such a shame that 2016 wasnt

Fresh in smithfield is really good btw

That's a pity. I've had KBS, never had 200 Fathoms though - just wanted try it out. I must say I preferred Backwoods Bastard to KBS :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Can anyone give some recommendations on pubs in Dublin city centre with a good craft selection that will show the champions league tonight?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Can anyone give some recommendations on pubs in Dublin city centre with a good craft selection that will show the champions league tonight?
    Alfie Byrne's, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Against the grain have a big scree up stairs for cheltenham, I would be surprised if they didn't show the match later on

Not really city center but the Gasworks will probably have it on. There is also the square ball on Hogan Place.

Does Porterhouse Central sometimes have a screen with matches?

Was at a tasting for the new O'Haras 20th anniversary imperial stout last night. It's nice but needs time to mature. I'd say it will be lovely if given a chance to age for a year.

They will have a cask of it at the RDS on Friday.

matrim wrote: »
    Does Porterhouse Central sometimes have a screen with matches?
    It does.
    matrim wrote: »
    Was at a tasting for the new O'Haras 20th anniversary imperial stout last night. It's nice but needs time to mature. I'd say it will be lovely if given a chance to age for a year.
    Totally agree. It was kinda indicative that the bottles which will be going into shops weren't ready yet and they were serving unlabelled bottles filled straight from the tanks.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It does.

Totally agree. It was kinda indicative that the bottles which will be going into shops weren't ready yet and they were serving unlabelled bottles filled straight from the tanks.

I was wondering why they used unlabelled bottles for serving. I saw you mention on beoir that they will have a keg in the 108. Do you know if they will kegs anywhere else? At the RDS?

Looks like that tweet from The 108 has disappeared, so don't quote me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

There are screens in the new Bar Rua

https://twitter.com/BarRuaDublin/status/708659292677804033

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement