Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Foxes Rock American IPA. Wasn't expecting much at the price point but pleasantly surprised. Strong aroma and orangy (I think) taste that stays on the palette.
    Have the Irish PA and red on standby.

Edit: actually orangy/cucumber if that's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

N17 - Chilli Porter. Fairly middle of the road to be honest. Nothing stand out about it at all really.

Was out in the Oslo last night so just said Id try the Foam and Fury to see what the fuss was.

E5.50 for a pub price of 330ml isn't too bad for an 8%+ drink.

Its obviously very nice, but alcohol volume aside I think I still prefer the Kinnegar Scraggy Bay.
    If money wasn't an option id probably drink it but I was happy to switch to the Full Sail for my second drink.

Another off the list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Liamo08 wrote: »

Oh yes sir! I think a home brew store order will happen later....i plan to dial the alcohol back with my clone but the hop additions are what i was looking for. Im targetting a similar hop bang but less of the "sends me to sleep" level alcohol.

Ill still have to make a guess at the dry hop quantity but it seems like itll take plenty. The grain bill is very simple...

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Oh yes sir! I think a home brew store order will happen later....i plan to dial the alcohol back with my clone but the hop additions are what i was looking for. Im targetting a similar hop bang but less of the "sends me to sleep" level alcohol.

Ill still have to make a guess at the dry hop quantity but it seems like itll take plenty. The grain bill is very simple...

Its in the recipie, 60g simcoe for 4 days and then 40g simcoe for 4 days.

Best of luck by the way. This is €28 plus shipping using Get er Brewed's custom grain kit. Without Galena or Pacific Jade which are about €10 plus shipping on Homebrewwest. €45+ all in. Ouch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Alien Claw IPA by Naparbier.

A Belgian IPA with a hint of sour to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Enjoying the drama of the Masters with a Backwoods Bastard in hand, an equally dramatic beer. Super stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Had over the weekend (post-pub Saturday morning at 2am, I think?).

Kafer. An "Apple wine-based drink". At 3.5% it's nice sub €4 750ml bottle. Not too fizzy. Most likely a rebuy, even though I didn't get to finish it. Screwable bottle top, so was able to reseal it, which is a plus.

Also some Sheppys "Falstaff" (pretty sure it was this one). Found it to be light, crisp, and slightly fizzyish. Shall be rebuying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

An File wrote: »
    Founders. Backwoods Bastard. God damn. The only negative? I know how much I'll need to spend to get more of it.

I'm not a big fan of black IPAs but yeah this is special stuff.

Not cheap but worth it imo.

I had ska brewing Decendance IPA last night. Nice imperial IPA. Would like to taste it a bit fresher as I reckon it was an older bottle but still nice all the same.

Had a bottle of Straffe Heritage 2013 on Sunday. Felt like something a bit special. Delicious as always.

Followed it up with a can of Beavertowns Lord Smog Almighty. Which poured a pale amber ... checked the can. Definately supposed to be a porter. Tasted like an imperial IPA, almost a belgian triple like aftwrtaste to it. Was really weird. Can anyone else who has had this confirm this is actually supposed to pour a dark brown ? And be a porter. Didnt think to take a photo at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

c - 13 wrote: »
    Had a bottle of Straffe Heritage 2013 on Sunday. Felt like something a bit special. Delicious as always.

Followed it up with a can of Beavertowns Lord Smog Almighty. Which poured a pale amber ... checked the can. Definately supposed to be a porter. Tasted like an imperial IPA, almost a belgian triple like aftwrtaste to it. Was really weird. Can anyone else who has had this confirm this is actually supposed to pour a dark brown ? And be a porter. Didnt think to take a photo at the time.

Yeah, it pours black

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

An File wrote: »
    Founders. Backwoods Bastard. God damn. The only negative? I know how much I'll need to spend to get more of it.

I hear ya. Finally picked up a bottle of this during the week and had it last night. Great beer and up there with the best I've had, but at about twice the cost of Dirty Bastard its a bit rich for my budget to be a regular.

Firestone Walker - DBA. Think I may have started this a bit too cold as the flavours really came out as it warmed up. Will have to give it another go :-)

Had Killarney Golden Ale on draft recently, nice beer, pleasantly surprised as really only ordered it cos it the only craft on tap.

9 White Deer- Black Lightning. Draft in their pub (Mills Inn) Very nice beer

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah, it pours black

Cheers. Wonder what was in that can then ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

9 White Deer- Black Lightning. Draft in their pub (Mills Inn)
    I've heard the brewer say before that it's really meant for the export market (ie Dublin). Great to hear it's being consumed locally too. It's a fantastic beer, IMO.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm not a big fan of black IPAs but yeah this is special stuff.

Not cheap but worth it imo.

I had ska brewing Decendance IPA last night. Nice imperial IPA. Would like to taste it a bit fresher as I reckon it was an older bottle but still nice all the same.
    That one from Ska is great, but it's pricy! I've only ever splashed out on it twice.

Are you mixing up Backwoods Bastard (Scottish style ale) with Dark Penance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Northern Monk Mocha Porter

Smooth with decent carbonation. The coffee dominates this but it's perfectly balanced and never over-whelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Tried Modus Mandarina by Ska. Okay, bit too much bitter orange. Much prefer Modus Hoperandi.
    Skull King tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

beavertown spresso wasn't bad, lot of carbonation, there's definitely better and cheaper coffee stouts out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Not G.R wrote: »
    Its in the recipie, 60g simcoe for 4 days and then 40g simcoe for 4 days.

Best of luck by the way. This is €28 plus shipping using Get er Brewed's custom grain kit. Without Galena or Pacific Jade which are about €10 plus shipping on Homebrewwest. €45+ all in. Ouch.

I didnt spot the dry hop additions at first. Ive found a better hop addition can be just the final day. Which can seem counter productive but theres a good article online looking at the day added vs impact. And surprisingly 24 hours can work really well as the hop oils are so fresh...I may try a 4 day and a 1 day for this one...

Already have the grain, and some of the hops. Its 6 quid a bottle in the offie, so if the clone comes remotely close to it in flavour ill be happy. Ill ask Ian over at Mottly brew has he any of those hops, he got a big order in recently

Anybody going to this beavertown session tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Yes, I'll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

What's the Beavertown session... A tap takeover...?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

laros wrote: »
    What's the Beavertown session... A tap takeover...?

A tap takeover In L.Mulligan Grocers. Tickets sold out.

Yeah, I'm going too. R.I.P my wallet

Yes. The talk-and-taste bit is sold out but the beers will be available to everyone in L. Mulligan Grocer from 7.15, they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yes. The talk-and-taste bit is sold out but the beers will be available to everyone in L. Mulligan Grocer from 7.15, they say.

According to a tweeted response from four corners I thought that wasn't the case?

https://twitter.com/fourcorners/status/717805922517647360

Did they change their mind?

Yeah think so, dude running it said I could share my tokens if I wanted to bring friends so cash will be king. Think you get 2 beers that are not available at the talk

Yarghhh wrote: »
    According to a tweeted response from four corners I thought that wasn't the case?
    The mail I got from LMG says "All of the beers will also be available for sale on the night in can and on draft from 7.15." The ticketed talk is up the back (no earwigging!) so I assume the rest of the bar will be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Might be worth venturing outside for this, I've almost bested man flu.

Has anybody heard what beers they have with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Had a pint of kerrys Gnéas pale ale. Quite bitter, it went down very well

I should be getting my Brewdog Bottlebox beers this week. Excited to see what I get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

A few magic rock cans tonight

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement