Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

VW 1 wrote: »
    Got some in Martin's last week but haven't opened it yet. How would it compare to other imperial stouts such as 200 fathoms or founders etc?

It's.. classy for want of a better word. Like the imperial Coisbo stouts. I prefer the barrel ages stuff like 200 Fathoms myself, but this as an imperial stout with no additions. I liked it a lot.

I also had a Modus Mandarina. It's nice, but I dunno how I feel about how the orange works. Odd. Coming off the back of my love for Elvis Juice, I think my judgement might be clouded, but I just thought it was alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

This weekend I shall be drinking Gueuzes, Lambics, Trappists in Brussels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

In solidarity I might tuck into some of the beers I brought back from Brugges last month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Gotta say Skull King is one of the best beers I've had in a while. Snoweater IPA was much better than I thought it would be, quite fruity and a bit like Colorado red.
    Don't like Elvis juice at all. I tried one of the prototypes for it before release which was amazing. The version they released is too much like lilt for me. Needs more alcohol flavour and hop bitterness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Don't like Elvis juice at all. I tried one of the prototypes for it before release which was amazing.
    I agree. Version 1 was much lighter and hoppier. The new one is too heavy and dark and sweet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Well, I'm certainly jealous of the Trappist stuff! Enjoy!

I picked up a pair of Shanco Dubh for the weekend. Should do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

This week, I've mostly been drinking, Brown bear IPA!

Anyone had it? Aldi started selling it a few weeks ago and it gets ravaged at the weekends.

€1.99 for a 500ml bottle and its a decent whistle wetter. Nothing mind blowing but pretty decent for the price.

They had some other ones in too but it was nauseating goop... Can't remember the name of it at this point in time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Wolf Rock - Sharp's Brewery Red Ipa lovely dark red colour. Sweet malty a bit of hop but it only last seconds.

Nothing to write home about.

Cantillon Brewery this afternoon was excellent. Usually a self guided tour but we happened on a guided tour that we joined. Very interesting indeed.

Visited the Moeder Lambic pub last night, great beer selection, stand out was an Oud Bruin.

Going to bar hop this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Cantillon Brewery this afternoon was excellent. Usually a self guided tour but we happened on a guided tour that we joined. Very interesting indeed.

Visited the Moeder Lambic pub last night, great beer selection, stand out was an Oud Bruin.

Jealous :(

Enjoy BC ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

By coincidence, I managed to pick up a bottle of Cantillon Gueuze Lambic in McCambridges in Galway today. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Really Jealous and I was only there two weeks ago
    If you can, go to Neutnigenough for some seriously good beer food:cool:

Had food there. Food is great. Good beer selection too.

The Delirium taphouse is amazing. It's like a good Beer Market. Went from there to Le Carbeau. Nice bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

I picked up a bottle of Brewdog born to die. It is lovely, hoppy and fresh tasting.
    Got it in martins offie in Marino. They only had 1 case seemingly, I'm tempted to nip down for another bottle. It's around €11/ €12,660ml.
    I also bought elvis juice, read a few comments here about it, it's great so thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Dropped into The Beer Market last night, dear oh dear. Erdinger and Budvar on tap. An experiment well and truly failed. Dublin just wasn't ready for a 20 tap beer only bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Not G.R wrote: »
    Dropped into The Beer Market last night, dear oh dear. Erdinger and Budvar on tap. An experiment well and truly failed. Dublin just wasn't ready for a 20 tap beer only bar.

The problem is some people won't try new beers and if you are in a group of 4/5 there's going to be one who just wants the usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Not G.R wrote: »

The idea afaik was to have 90% exclusives.

Seems they're right on track

They should get Irish made beers that are similar to those. Ive heard them in the Thomas House tell people "We don't have that beer, but we have something similar" and the customer is usually fine with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Had the Brewdog Born to Die on tap today. Enjoyed it but was expecting something mind blowing.
    Might grab a bottle if i see one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Dropped into The Beer Market last night, dear oh dear. Erdinger and Budvar on tap.
    Pop into Cassidy's and to a lesser extent P.Macs and you will see a lot of guinness and other crap sold, depressing if you're sitting at the bar listening to people ask for corona and heineken. It's definitely had a negative effect on there being actual good beer in Cassidy's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Born To Die, very nice! Cannonball and Elvis Juice the support acts

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Northern Monk Mocha Porter. Very strong initial coffee hit, but it mellows a little as it warms. Not bad, but not as well balanced as Joe imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Enjoying my first Black's World's End. I was very pleasantly surprised by this, there's a lovely streak of vanilla in it, kind of like a Yellow Belly but not as thick. Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

jsa112 wrote:
    Pop into Cassidy's and to a lesser extent P.Macs and you will see a lot of guinness and other crap sold, depressing if you're sitting at the bar listening to people ask for corona and heineken. It's definitely had a negative effect on there being actual good beer in Cassidy's

Not sure why its depressing? As long as I get o enjoy a nice beer, I couldn't care less what others drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Grayditch wrote: »
    They should get Irish made beers that are similar to those. Ive heard them in the Thomas House tell people "We don't have that beer, but we have something similar" and the customer is usually fine with that.

There are many times they aren't - due to the proxmity of Busaras and Connolly providing tourists and non-locals I've seen many people walk out of Brew Dock due to no Guinness (its almost always Guinness)/Bulmers/Horsepiss available.

Budvar and Erdinger are at least brands that a decent number of people will recognise while not being terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Had 'Make it a double' by accident in Against the Grain as they mixed up the taps with Gamma Ray. Found it too sweet without any real hop bitterness.
    Didn't like Dortmunder at all but Big River was a nice bitter IPA.
    Cannonball is decent without being mind blowing but might try it again.
    Looking forward to a can of Yuzilla Phantom this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had some Akiau from Galway Bay yesterday. Very nicely balanced beer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Elvis Juice - incredible beer.
    Just what I like in a beverage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

L1011 wrote:
    There are many times they aren't - due to the proxmity of Busaras and Connolly providing tourists and non-locals I've seen many people walk out of Brew Dock due to no Guinness (its almost always Guinness)/Bulmers/Horsepiss available.

I dont work in the bar trade, but I do work selling to the public... if a customer comes up looking parmesan cheese and I say sorry aint got it but I have an irish equivalent they'll probably
    Walk...if I say yup I have parmesan bit I also have this local equivalent which is great...they'll probably buy the local - something to do with human nature...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement