Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Grayditch wrote: »
    You sound mad insecure.

Explain why you make that evaluation Grayser?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Explain why you make that evaluation Grayser?

Don't mind me man, I'm locked on Fosters.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

This thread would be pointless if everyone came on and talked about the bog standard beer you find in the average pub and offy. No one is going to care if you had a pint of Guinness or Heineken. Same way no one in the Cooking Forum cares if you're making frozen chips for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Evan DietrichSmith, you are entitled to your opinion but if you continue with the name calling and trolling I'll be getting out the ban stick. Play nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

So, there is also Rustbucket, Yannaroddy and Maddyroe, all of which are pretty excellent beers.

Rustbucket is a very good example of a Rye Pale Ale, and was one of the best beers of last year imo.

Yannaroddy is a very good porter (whatever about the "coconut" claims, but it has a lovely roasty bitterness)

and Maddyroe is good beer, billed as a Burnt Red IPA.

I'd tend to agree on the above about Limeburner, and in fact when I tried it it put me off Kinnegar for a while - but it's a blonde ale, are there are actually any truly delicious blonde/golden ales out there? I'd argue not.

Your comment on the Amber Ale is kind of unfair - because YOU can't decide what it is? It's an Amber Ale, it's supposed to be somewhere between a red and a pale ale.

Must get around to trying the yannaroddy, rustbucket and maddyroe, maybe I was just unlucky in trying their worst 3 beers first.

On amber ales, maybe we have different impression of what an amber is supposed to be. My impression was that they originated in america, and are supposed to be quite heavily hopped like an apa. Like the scraggy bay I found their amber a light on the hop front, thus making it a bit bland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

After having a few rustbuckets i dont think it is very good. passed it out at a beer tasting i held in work and 14/14 people didnt like it at all and didnt even drink it. I still have about 7 bottles left over. Will have to give them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

O'Hara's pale for me tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

adamski8 wrote: »
    After having a few rustbuckets i dont think it is very good. passed it out at a beer tasting i held in work and 14/14 people didnt like it at all and didnt even drink it. I still have about 7 bottles left over. Will have to give them away.

I'd happily take them off you :D

Had a N17 rye ale from a brewery in Tuam. First rye ale I had and was delicious, really dark malty taste, sort of spicy as well and even a hint of turkish delight off it. Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

A bit of a mixed bag this evening- a westmalle dubbel, now a SN torpedo...from a can...

both VERY enjoyable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Aldi O'Shea's Irish Pale Ale - quite a lacklustre affair with none of the bite if its O'Hara's equivalent. A different recipe to be sure but the definitely not as good as the stout or red ale, which are both great. The red really impresses me - lots of caramel and biscuity backbone.

Had a Devil's Half-Acre at the weekend. Lovely beer though very stouty as people said - not at all a dark IPA in my mind. I'm not a fan of whiskey in general but really liked the warmness it imparted to the beer without dominating the flavour. At 13.5% it was like drinking half a bottle of wine, albeit in some style.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had brewdog's bourbon baby, not great, the kentucky bourbon pale ale is just as good(and cheaper).

Am a fan of Kinnegar myself, its a shame that their beers have no carbonation and that I only tend to find old bottles around. If they fixed these issues and made them hoppier/stronger, would probably be one of my main beers.

Don't suppose devils half acre will turn into a regular beer anybody know ? Doesn't seem to be doing too bad sales wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I can call around any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

:confused:

Got me there Gray,I do hear ya barking though,hell I'll pay €4.40 a bottle for some 'craft beer' which tastes the same as every other brew just to appear, 'in the know '

Ok bro, I know where you are coming from.

Just won't be drawn into to that bulldust.

But, not saying there's owt wrong with it

They certainly don't taste even close to the same.

If I am in a bar with no 'non normal' beer I do drink bavaria for my sins unless they've decent whiskey.
    But here is the rub on a late night I'll drink 10 to 15 pints of bavaria but go to a bar with craft beer and a big selection I would drink half the amount cos I'd savour it and enjoy the flavour and texture. Something I don't get from massed produced beer. So the cost thing isn't just a price per unit.

I believe given the mostly bland and chemically enhanced nature of mass produced stuff that they aren't beer but alcohol delivery system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I tried three fifferent beers last night.
    Green Flash's West Coast IPA, this was lovely. It was my second time having it and for some reason the first time around I wasn't crazy about it.
    I also had a Double IPA called Denogginizer by a brewery called Drakes, who are based outside of Oakland in California. I didn't find this too hoppy, I got more of a malt taste. It was nice and really hid it's 9% or so abv.
    The last one I had was an Amber Ale called Alley Cat by a Northern California brewery called Lost Coast. This was very enjoyable, although it tasted a bit "dark" to for what I would assume an Amber to be. This is definitely a brewery to keep an eye out for if you happen to be in California.

Sweetmans intergalatic pale ale. 4.50e for 390ml 6.8%. Strange one seems to be brewed well but im not won on the choice of hops. Seems like a front loaded sweetness to it that doesnt fully match the rest of the beer. All that being said it isnt bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

In Newcastle last weekend and God does that town do good craft pubs well.

Brew Dogs "Dead Pony Club" went down a treat and Tyne Bank's "Silver Dollar" was like heavens nectar.

I have a renewed appreciation of draught craft beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Anyone else tried a Sombrero from Aldi?

A light beer with added tequila - 6%. With a little wedge of lime absolutely delicious with a nice little kick. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Had a few cans of Sly Fox Pikeland Pils last night, im all about lagers these days, think Ive come full circle after trying almost 1000 ales

drumswan wrote: »
    Had a few cans of Sly Fox Pikeland Pils last night, im all about lagers these days, think Ive come full circle after trying almost 1000 ales

Did you go past lambics on your way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Did you go past lambics on your way?

Aye Im a fan. Stocked up at Cantillon when I was there earlier in the year

Got a bottle of Dungarvin Rye Pale Ale. Sounds like an interesting combo, looking forward to trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I am drinking Spaten original Munich Beer that I got in Aldi its really nice and going down a treat!!!

Oakham ales Citra. Very nice if you like citra, which i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Oakham ales Citra. Very nice if you like citra, which i do.

Love the Oakham beers.

Having an Anderson Valley Bourbon Bourbon Barrel Stout. Meh. Very thin with a very strong whack of Bourbon. Definitely not worth the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,810 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Having a Dark Arts at the moment, it's totally meh :( very bland.

Have a couple of Sabotage IPAs for later, hopefully these will be better!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

Got a bottle of Dungarvin Rye Pale Ale. Sounds like an interesting combo, looking forward to trying it.

Sierra Nevade Rye IPA is lovely too !!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

What was the Dungarvan rye ipa like cunnifferous ?

Had Mikkellers 1000 ipa, beautiful aroma, big let down with the taste. Felt like a stale DIPA.

ToOls I've seen bigger than yours, a 14% barleywine, amazing. Have balanced out some of the harsh flavour you get from barleywines. I'd put it up there as one of the best beers I've tried.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Shared a bottle of Westvleteren XII with one of my best friends earlier. He appreciated it. Good times. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭illeagles_mcc

did some travelling over the past week or 2 around the northwest
    i had a pint of sierra nevada from tap @ the swagman bar Sligo town
    a bottle of donegal blonde in the village tavern in Moutcharles, Donegal
    a pint of franciscan well rebel red and a bottle of stonewell cider in nancy's bar, Ardara, Donegal

can honestly say i enjoyed all of them, the rebel red stood out for me, very tasty.
    next stop is furey's bar in sligo town. seem to have a good selection there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement