Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

An File wrote: »
    Shared a bottle of Westvleteren XII with one of my best friends earlier. He appreciated it. Good times. :)

I've a bottle waiting to be opened in a few weeks when my baby arrives. I'll be getting the new arrival started on decent beers early. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

OFAF is pouring on cask over at The Black Sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Having a Odell/Thornbridge Colorado Red in Bierhaus, Cork.
    Bit pricey but fantastic.
    Hopped up red ales are threatening to be my current favourite style of beer.

Sweetman's red ale is a really good Irish red. Their core range, while not wildly exciting are very well crafted beers from what I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Really liked the Sabotage IPA, will get again.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Couple of people have said Sabotage has improved, must retry it.

Ive just had Mikkeller Cream Ale, which leaves me with just these styles left to tick on ratebeer

Altbier
    Berliner Weisse
    Dunkelweizen
    Malt Liquor
    Polotmavý
    Sahti/Gotlandsdricke/Koduõlu

Can anyone help with locating beers in these styles in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

You'll find Erdinger Dunkel in a few places. It's alright.

Grayditch wrote: »
    You'll find Erdinger Dunkel in a few places. It's alright.

Sweet, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

there are better dunkel's than it tbh.

If you find a Dunkle that isn't the Erdinger one, there's a good chance it'll be better.

I think Mchughes have the Weinstephanner one, actually. I've seen the Erdinger one in some Centras even, if yer not near a better offie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

jsa112 wrote: »
    What was the Dungarvan rye ipa like cunnifferous ?

Delicious. The only other dungarvin I tried was the blonde ale, and wasn't a big fan of it. This is a really accomplished drink though. Spicy dark rye taste balanced with lovely peach and citrus hop flavour. The only complanit I'd have was that it was a little over carbonated, but that could have just been the bottle I had. Definitely recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Kenmare Pale ale not a game changer but not the worst beer ever.

Lots of Irish pale ales to choose from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A bottle of Thistly Cross Cider kindly brought over to me by a mate in Scotland.
    They make very nice Ciders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Kenmare Pale ale not a game changer but not the worst beer ever.

Lots of Irish pale ales to choose from now.

Found it very underwhelming tbh, lots of better irish IPAs around. Blacks of kinsale IPA is one of my favorites atm, lots of Citra hop goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

drumswan wrote: »
    Couple of people have said Sabotage has improved, must retry it.

I'd agree with that. It's much nicer than it used to be.

Also, I think the bottled Full Sail is far superior over the last few months. I think they've finally nailed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had Brewdog's IPA is dead, not as bad as last year, but still not very good. I'm officially done with this "single hop ipa" lark, Mikkeller's ones weren't great either. Nice idea in theory, but results in 4 average beers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. It's much nicer than it used to be.

Also, I think the bottled Full Sail is far superior over the last few months. I think they've finally nailed it.

I've found the pints of Full Sail are much nicer myself, just had a bottle of Dungarvan Black Rock Stout, a nice stout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Can of Sly Foxes Phoenix Pale Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Not beer. French cider. Yum.

But I also tried this new Dungarvan Mahon Point Irish pale rye ale. Blummin' delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

sarkozy wrote: »
    But I also tried this new Dungarvan Mahon Point Irish pale rye ale. Blummin' delicious.

Mahon Falls ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I've found the pints of Full Sail are much nicer myself, just had a bottle of Dungarvan Black Rock Stout, a nice stout

Without a doubt, the pints are better but the bottles were muck at first. Big improvement now though.

Got my beers mixed up tonight.
    Started with O'Haras DIPA instead of their regular IPA. Wasn't looking at the bottle properly.
    Then had their regular IPA, followed by a Full Sail.
    The drinks seemed to get progressively more "burnt" and malty. Never noticed such a contrast before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Rosemary & Clementine Saison in The Headline. Barman said it was O'Haras but it seems like it was Franciscan Well. Pretty decent!

Had a taste of Hilden Mill Street IPA but it tasted pretty light bodied and meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Carrollj

Yep, definitely the Franciscan Well !

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ataltane

drumswan wrote: »
    Altbier
    Berliner Weisse
    Dunkelweizen
    Malt Liquor
    Polotmavý
    Sahti/Gotlandsdricke/Koduõlu

Can anyone help with locating beers in these styles in Dublin?

The Beerhouse at the top of Capel Street has a dunkelweizen on tap. It might have been 'only' the Erdinger, but it's the only draught dunkelweizen I've seen in Dublin.

Polotmavý - you might find one at Pifko on Usher's Quay, whether on draught or in bottle. I've never looked into their offlicence, but it might be worth checking there too. I'm also pretty sure I got a Konrad polotmavý in the Next Door on Meath Street about too months ago. I've always liked polotmavé (if that's the plural) when I've had them in Europe, but this one didn't impress me.

I've been on the lookout for a nice Altbier here, or any Altbier, but haven't found any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ataltane

snowblind wrote: »
    Rosemary & Clementine Saison in The Headline. Barman said it was O'Haras but it seems like it was Franciscan Well. Pretty decent!

Had it in the Beerhouse last night, and it's definitely Franciscan Well. Lovely stuff.

ataltane wrote: »
    The Beerhouse at the top of Capel Street has a dunkelweizen on tap. It might have been 'only' the Erdinger, but it's the only draught dunkelweizen I've seen in Dublin.

Polotmavý - you might find one at Pifko on Usher's Quay, whether on draught or in bottle. I've never looked into their offlicence, but it might be worth checking there too. I'm also pretty sure I got a Konrad polotmavý in the Next Door on Meath Street about too months ago. I've always liked polotmavé (if that's the plural) when I've had them in Europe, but this one didn't impress me.

I've been on the lookout for a nice Altbier here, or any Altbier, but haven't found any.

Brilliant thanks.

Drinking a Maisels Weisse Dunkel now, not bad and another style ticked

Wild Beer Modus Operandi pours a dark red and plenty of yeast floating around.

Smells like sour cherries.
    Lots of tastes going on in this beer. I got woody / chocolate / and vanilla.

Finishes off a little dry but not to much almost like a red wine.

You can get hints of alcohol too which slightly warms you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Wild Beer Modus Operandi pours a dark red and plenty of yeast floating around.

Smells like sour cherries.
    Lots of tastes going on in this beer. I got woody / chocolate / and vanilla.

Finishes off a little dry but not to much almost like a red wine.

You can get hints of alcohol too which slightly warms you up.

I thought this was a really interesting one. Smelled like stewed apples. Tasted like a saison/cider combined with a sweet & chocolatey Scotch Ale. High carbonation. Very dry finish. I enjoyed it.

I still really love OFAF. Like, there's some hit off it. Worth the money for the odd super-tipple in my book.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I thought this was a really interesting one. Smelled like stewed apples. Tasted like a saison/cider combined with a sweet & chocolatey Scotch Ale. High carbonation. Very dry finish. I enjoyed it.

Yeah it has loads going on. I couldn't drink more than 1 though but I enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Had a metalman yerba and thought it wasnt very nice at all. i think its the same yeast that they use in their cameleon range which imparts a non plesent spicyness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement