Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Dungarvans Seaweed Saison - Sweet taste which follows up a bit peppery and then a subtle hint of salt. I liked this beer.

Tesco - California Commom Steam Beer - just a bland lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Did anyone else here go to the Kilkenny Craft Beer Festival? I was there on Saturday and they had some great beers on draft in Billy Byrnes. Highlight was probably Soulwater's Cosmic Cow, a milk stout served on nitro and two-poured. There was also a delicious Rye pale ale that I can't remember the name of. I enjoyed most of the beers there actually, but didn't manage to fit in all 20!

Yeah I was there. Really enjoyed it - great atmosphere and really great crew running it. The rye one was Rising Sons - Dreamcatcher I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Wild bat - California Common...Not too impressed
    Wild Bat - Pale Ale....very nice

Borneo - Dubble and triple from the Lidi box, both ok, nothing special
    Piraat Triple Hop - Nice, think it could have benefited from being a little colder than I had it...,,just as well I picked up 3 box's from Lidl

and an old one revisted...
    Founders -Russian Imperial Stout......delish

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have to say, I'm super-impressed with YellowBelly and their line of monthly limited specials. Had their Strawberry Sour (lovely), Goze (wonderful) and Farmhouse Saison (surprisingly didn't work for me). It seems a very brave move to release monthly specials in bottle form. Do you think it's sustainable? Loving this brewery's selection of beers so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Have to say, I'm super-impressed with YellowBelly and their line of monthly limited specials. Had their Strawberry Sour (lovely), Goze (wonderful) and Farmhouse Saison (surprisingly didn't work for me). It seems a very brave move to release monthly specials in bottle form. Do you think it's sustainable? Loving this brewery's selection of beers so far.

Enjoyed all the new bottles on Sunday and took the opportunity to visit the bar in Wexford on the way home from Hook head yesterday, only had time for 2 pints so went for Gorse Whisperer a collab with Brown paper bag project, a light refreshing saison with Gorse flowers, there's a hint of spiciness off it and would be lovely on a hot day, then I went for their standard pale ale, this was amazing and had me pondering booking a room and staying in the town for more, have they bottled this? It would be a great pale ale to have access to on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Trond wrote: »
    Disappointment with the Beermarket on Sat. night.

3 of the first 6 beers we ordered off the menu weren't in stock. One of which I was told they don't sell at all :rolleyes:

Focus seemed firmly towards food which is a shame. Lots of lovely beers in stock but very difficult to see what the have given the layout and where their main fridge is.

Some staff we v helpful and knowledgeable but others simply didn't have a clue on the beer side of things at all. Given how they market themselves found this bit annoying.

They haven't been what they've marketed themselves as in a long time. Just another GBB bar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Wherebouts in Kilkenny/Wexford do Yellowbelly stock those specials? Can never seem to find them. Story of my beer drinking life. I might just move to Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Not G.R wrote: »
    They haven't been what they've marketed themselves as in a long time. Just another GBB bar now.

I quite like gbb's bars although their pricing is taking the piss these days.

I ended up in the Back Page in Phibsboro after Mulligans. Far better atmosphere and a good selection of beers there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Trond wrote: »
    I quite like gbb's bars although their pricing is taking the piss these days.

I ended up in the Back Page in Phibsboro after Mulligans. Far better atmosphere and a good selection of beers there as well.

Oh me too, don't get me wrong. I was just pointing out that the selling points that differed The Beer Market from say AtG are long gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Got this delivery from BrewDog yesterday.

Really looking forward to trying Electric India, Shipwreck, Mashtag and Black Hammer.

Ordered Friday lunch time and arrived Monday lunch time from Scotland.

142 beers and 3 BrewDog glasses for €395 delivered and delivery was €95.

That's with 20% shareholder discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Really looking forward to trying Electric India, Shipwreck, Mashtag and Black Hammer.

Are you expecting a nuclear holocaust/zombie apocalypse? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Shipwreck is a very good beer, had Black Hammer last night and I think I might like it more than Jack hammer, but I'll wait until I try them side by side to confirm that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Has anyone see the 500ml Sierra Nevada cans anywhere? They had them in O'Neills on the SCR a few weeks ago but haven't seen them since. I hate the bottles especially when I have to drag them to a friends house and then bring them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Lux23 wrote: »
    Has anyone see the 500ml Sierra Nevada cans anywhere? They had them in O'Neills on the SCR a few weeks ago but haven't seen them since. I hate the bottles especially when I have to drag them to a friends house and then bring them back.

McHughs had them online last time i put an order in. They also had the Torpedo in the larger cans (im not sure they're 500ml though?).

Molloys off licence have/had them and dont think they were 500ml but about 475ml. I know its only a mouthful but just to be certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

That sounds like the 16 oz cans we get in the US, the local supermarket usually has a four for $7 deal. For some reason I think they taste much better from the can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Drink Store in Stoneybatter usually has 500ml cans of the Sierra Nevada pale ale, and the other Sierra Nevada brews in bottles or 330ml cans.

They have lots of other good stuff too - well worth a little trip north of the Liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

Hi guys I'm drinking a 'triple Karmeliet with an alc of 8.4 at the minute, its my first time tasting it and I found it really nice, will be on my list in the future but at that strength its a case of 2 or 3 at the most, in Belgium for a bit of work and will be spoilt for good beer for a few weeks.
    A bottle of duvel 33cl was 1.17, triple karmelet 33cl 1.29 and a bottle of grimbergen blond 33cl was 0.93, and an 8 pack of leffe bruin came in under 8 euro if I remember right, so I'm in heaven as far as the beer for is concerned, keep suppen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

whats your address again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

minterno wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm drinking a 'triple Karmeliet with an alc of 8.4 at the minute, its my first time tasting it and I found it really nice, will be on my list in the future but at that strength its a case of 2 or 3 at the most, in Belgium for a bit of work and will be spoilt for good beer for a few weeks.
    A bottle of duvel 33cl was 1.17, triple karmelet 33cl 1.29 and a bottle of grimbergen blond 33cl was 0.93, and an 8 pack of leffe bruin came in under 8 euro if I remember right, so I'm in heaven as far as the beer for is concerned, keep suppen

Karmeliet Triple wins by a distance. I used enjoy it ommensely in Le Chouff !:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

sceach16 wrote: »
    Karmeliet Triple wins by a distance. I used enjoy it ommensely in Le Chouff !:D

I see what you did there.......... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got to go to one of my favoured offos today and picked up some stuff I've not had before (or in a while)

Yellowbelly Wexican, Metalman Heatsink - I don't actually like chili porters, as I remembered after opening one.

Northbound 70 IPA - should have read the label about bitterness, because it is. Won't buy again but its not like it didn't tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I see you are in Maynooth, couple questions

What offo were you in? I'm going to be in the area on Saturday, going to Carton House, do you know if it has any Craft?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What offo were you in? I'm going to be in the area on Saturday, going to Carton House, do you know if it has any Craft?

Sweeneys in Marino :pac:

And unfortunately, to make my answer doublely useless, I've not drunk in Carton House in my life- Maynoothians don't usually go there.

O'Neills in the town usually has the best volume of craft - bottles and a rake of Rye River taps. McMahons has Kellys Mountain Brew and bottles; Bradys I haven't been in in months but it had Kellys, Rye River and Fran Well as well as bottles. Roost hasn't even got fraft bar HH13.

Off licence wise, we lost our good one a few years ago. Supervalu has an OK range, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I have saved up a few quid to buy a box of Belgians online but have discovered that Belgian Beer Factory no longer deliver here.
    Can anyone recommend another site that they have used?

On an aside has anybody come across Corsendonk Tempelier in off licences in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

has anybody come across Corsendonk Tempelier in off licences in Ireland ?

No.... but Lidl ate currently stocking Corsendonk Pater Dubbel €7.99 for 4 bottles

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/41/138/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Sipping on a Founders Sumatra Mountain Brown. It's a very big, imperial brown ale. Huge coffee and chocolate notes, somewhat bitter with big coffee flavours and very rich malts. Finish is long and smokey, like I've been puffing on a Montecristo!

Not sure about Maynooth but Dunboyne has an off licence not too far away that has a good enough choice of beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Bottle of Mountain Man Green Bullet pale ale. A bit meh to my taste unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

got these

IMG_20160715_215146_zps26mlhmnj.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement