Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sitting in Naughton's Athlone drinking a Sunburnt Red before getting the train back to Dublin. Any draft beer, a sambo, side salad and chips for €10. Serious value.
    Food from the new restaurant upstairs. High Cafe, same people as High Cafe Galway. Good food!

Said meal deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Seaneh wrote: »
    Sitting in Naughton's Athlone drinking a Sunburnt Red before getting the train back to Dublin. Any draft beer, a sambo, side salad and chips for €10. Serious value.
    Food from the new restaurant upstairs. High Cafe, same people as High Cafe Galway. Good food!

Where is Naughton's?

jh79 wrote: »
    Where is Naughton's?

Was it Durty's?

Was it Durty's?

That's the one.

• Advertisement

That's the one.

Must be under new management can't picture Gazza and craft beer!

Must be under new management can't picture Gazza and craft beer!

Been open under new management since before christmas. Lovely spot now, very different to how it was.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kentucky Bourbon Ale. First time trying it. Seems to go nicely with spicy chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Dungarvans Mahon Falls - lovely rye ale.
    Wish I had got more than 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

An File wrote: »
    Kentucky Bourbon Ale. First time trying it. Seems to go nicely with spicy chicken.

I'm not a fan, but I did see the stout the other day, I must pick that up.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »

Stout is a lot better than the ale imho, but definitely a dessert beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Not really a craft beer, per se, but picked up a bottle of Smithwicks Long Summer. Brewed with noble Hops apparently, have a feeling it's gonna be a bland golden ale but I hope its good because it's only 1.99 in lidl atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Having a Trouble Deception Ale this evening for the first time in what must be a couple of years. I now know why I haven't had it in that long.
    It really is not a nice beer in my opinion.
    Far too flat for my liking and an unpleasant aftertaste.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Grayditch wrote: »

I enjoy the odd Innis & Gunn so this suits me grand for tonight.
    Stout is a lot better than the ale imho, but definitely a dessert beer.

...that said, I will keep an eye out for the stout. It's one that I missed out on for my Christmas stash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Dungarvans Mahon Falls - lovely rye ale.
    Wish I had got more than 1.

Currently drinking this at the mo aswell. Lovely beer, can't beat that rye bite.
    Luckily, I bought two. :-)

Also had a Kinsale The Session. At 3.5%, it's lovely and light. It would be delicious on a hot summers day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

moved on from the headline and got a full sail and an of foam and fury in the dark horse.

then came home and had the following.

Viven ale
    IPA Is Dead Amarillo 2014
    IPA Is Dead Kohatu 2014

the other two IPA Is Dead will be consumed tomorrow.

IPA is dead... Good/bad so far?
    Picked up the 4 pack today but probably leave it until next week.

there's nothing spectacular so far, but the IPA is dead series to me has always been about tasting the same beer (well with a similar malt backbone) but how single hop affects the brew.

there's nothing spectacular so far, but the IPA is dead series to me has always been about tasting the same beer (well with a similar malt backbone) but how single hop affects the brew.

Yes, that's exactly it. As a home brewer, I always buy it to get a taste for a hop. Last year or two though, I've found the beers haven't showcased the hops well, they were all lacking. I'm hoping this year they are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

slayerking wrote: »
    Currently drinking this at the mo aswell. Lovely beer, can't beat that rye bite.
    Luckily, I bought two. :-)

Where is it on sale?

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    Shared a bottle of Westvleteren XII with one of my best friends earlier. He appreciated it. Good times. :)

The same friend was in town tonight so I introduced him to a few of my favourites.

Of Foam And Fury, Nøgne Ø # 500, and GBB's Bay (red) Ale.

He was impressed by them all.
    As was I! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

had a fullers indian pale ale and a o hara red ale

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Beoir #1, very nice sipper. I think it's a beer I'd prefer in bottle at home but it's a cracking beer. Maybe not as hoppy as it thinks it is.

Barrelhead Intergalactic Ale. Beautiful hoppy amber. Up there with Amber Ella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

so IPA is Dead is out again, is it not a bit soon? Always thought it was a summer thing.

What are the 4 hops?

it's always available at this time, it's just that Irish distributors are now getting it upon release and not having to wait a few weeks longer.

the four hops are:
    Amarillo
    One of our favourite American hops; all about the fruit. Think blood orange, orange zest and citrussy goodness fruit, the fruit is balanced by floral notes in the most classic of new wave IPA hops.

Kohatu
    As you’d expect from a New Zealand hop variety, Kohatu contributes bags of tropical fruit, but with loads of lime notes, & pineapple hits.

EXP 366
    A brand new, un-named American hop going under the title of HBC Experimental 366. Piney, resinous with spicy fruit notes and biting grapefruit.

Comet
    A potently bitter hop variety originally grown in the US around 40 years ago, Comet has been newly resurrected - this German version has bold resinous grapefruit flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Beoir #1 apparently being tapped in Farringtons this afternoon. I know where I'll be for a pint this evening

A few nice beers today....
    A Chocolate Truffle Stout, followed later that day by a Beoir #1(in Farringtons). And then two of the Founders beers on tap in Farringtons - All day and Centennial IPA.
    So many good beers knocking about right now.

A few nice beers today....
    A Chocolate Truffle Stout, followed later that day by a Beoir #1(in Farringtons). And then two of the Founders beers on tap in Farringtons - All day and Centennial IPA.
    So many good beers knocking about right now.

How much was the beoir #1 in Farringtons btw?

Headed into town in a we bit and pretty much going to do the exact same thing.

How much was the beoir #1 in Farringtons btw?

Headed into town in a we bit and pretty much going to do the exact same thing.

I got two half's and it was €7. Pretty good value by my books!

• Advertisement

I got two half's and it was €7. Pretty good value by my books!

Very surprising that they are beating the headline on price per ml.
    This pleases me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement