Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Beoir #1, very nice sipper. I think it's a beer I'd prefer in bottle at home but it's a cracking beer. Maybe not as hoppy as it thinks it is.

Very much my thoughts. Sitting at the bar in Farrington's right now.
    It's not like it's not hoppy, it's just not as hoppy as I was expecting. Tastes hoppier than it smells though. Massive malt backbone here meaning it's pretty sweet on the nose.

All in all a cracking beer and Ireland's second "proper" DIPA gets a thumbs up from me. Especially at 3.50 a half.

Barman told me he'd sell me a pint too if I wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's not like it's not hoppy, it's just not as hoppy as I was expecting. Tastes hoppier than it smells though. Massive malt backbone here meaning it's pretty sweet on the nose.

All in all a cracking beer

Pretty much exactly what I thought of it.

slayerking wrote: »
    A few nice beers today....
    A Chocolate Truffle Stout, followed later that day by a Beoir #1(in Farringtons). And then two of the Founders beers on tap in Farringtons - All day and Centennial IPA.
    So many good beers knocking about right now.

Just to add to this they (Farrington's) also have Founders Porter on at the min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

You still in Farringtons? Just arrived in for a Beoir. Its my wedding anniversary so I had to steer us here subtly haha

You still in Farringtons? Just arrived in for a Beoir. Its my wedding anniversary so I had to steer us here subtly haha

In porter house having a chocolate stout. You staying there for a bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

AleSmith Grand Cru. Another cracking beer from AleSmith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Had Total Domination IPA by Ninkasi from Oregon. Not impressed, just a bitter taste (and not in a good way).

Just to add to this they (Farrington's) also have Founders Porter on at the min.

didn't get to have a Founders or a Odell's Cutthroat, we left after I had a Metalman Yerba (tough choice, but at least I'd had the other 2 in bottle before).

On the Beoir, liked it better than OFAF, because it's not as hoppy. Would compare it to O'Hara's controversial (round here) beer. I quite liked it for a DIPA, smells very malty and that's there in the taste. My wife also liked the small sup she had. It's not "packed full of hops" as the tap says, but there are enough there to back up the malty sweetness to ensure it's not too sweet.

On to the Yerba. Nice beer. Has a little something strange (good strange) in the finish. It's lighter than it looks, lovely malt sweetness and some bitterness from the darker malts in there. The sweet orange mate tea can be detected too, and it brings the finish all the way back from the dark roast malt back into light almost lagery territory. Complex in a light way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

slayerking wrote: »
    I got two half's and it was €7. Pretty good value by my books!

So it was 5.75e for 400ml in the headline but for a half pint 3.50???? That has to be the wrong price in farringtons. the beer in there is always the most expensive too! You got a sweet deal. I wouldnt have stopped at two halves ;)

The metalman yerba is one of those beers I'm really glad I didn't buy a pint of and definitely won't bother trying again.

• Advertisement

I also paid 3.50 for a half pint (one of them stemmed "craft collection" half pint glasses) which I thought was a grand price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

The metalman yerba is one of those beers I'm really glad I didn't buy a pint of and definitely won't bother trying again.

Yeah it really is bad.

adamski8 wrote: »
    So it was 5.75e for 400ml in the headline but for a half pint 3.50???? That has to be the wrong price in farringtons. the beer in there is always the most expensive too! You got a sweet deal. I wouldnt have stopped at two halves ;)

To be honest, even at €3.50 if I can get a half of Founders Centennial or Porter for the same price (which I did this evening), I don't think I'd have many of the Beoir #1, it's good value for money but I couldn't drink much of it.

642860300243.jpg

642860700050.jpg

Sh1t just got serious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I really enjoyed the Yerba, had it on cask at The Headline

In other news, I was up at Johnnie Fox's Pub on Saturday and I was pleased to see that they are now doing a small selection of craft beers on tap. They had Galway Hooker, Carrig Lager and Five Lamps Lager.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    In other news, I was up at Johnnie Fox's Pub on Saturday and I was pleased to see that they are now doing a small selection of craft beers on tap. They had Galway Hooker, Carrig Lager and Five Lamps Lager.

They have a few o'haras too.

642860300243.jpg

642860700050.jpg

Sh1t just got serious!

Where is stocking those?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

drumswan wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the Yerba, had it on cask at The Headline

Had one last night and was suitably impressed with it. Deceptively light and mild tasting for what it is, it definitely went down well with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Where is stocking those?

Drinkstore

• Advertisement

They have a few o'haras too.
    Bottles though?

Where is stocking those?
    It's on the picture. ;)

I'm just excited that I'll have a fairly decent selection of canned beers for Electric Picnic this year. :)

Bottles though?

It's on the picture. ;)

I'm just excited that I'll have a fairly decent selection of canned beers for Electric Picnic this year. :)

Draught. Pale ale and stout. Think the red is there as well.

Draught. Pale ale and stout. Think the red is there as well.
    Wow, didn't notice. But then again I didn't notice the others until I had ordered a Guinness and was sitting down waiting for our table. I've been there a few times over the last couple of years and just assumed that it was just a Guinness type of place. Delighted to see the choice there now. Sign of the times I suppose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Metalman Windjammer is back according to their Facebook. :D:D

10154112_757703770941068_581233489095676983_n.jpg?oh=c352fc37d0af498ec578d066d0121e8b&oe=53D40A21&__gda__=1406456827_64edacc4be100b5b8a3e1d427198a43c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Local was doing 4 of these for €6

140x170_1_p1391098159900_innis_&_gunn_scottish_pale_ale.jpg

Also doing these for €1 a bottle
    140x170_1_p1391097509693_innis_&_gunn_irish_whiskey_cask.jpg

http://www.martinsofflicence.ie/beer/innis-gunn-scottish-pale-ale/

I had gotten quiet used to them, now they are sold out and am probably going to cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

RasTa wrote: »
    Local was doing 4 of these for €6

140x170_1_p1391098159900_innis_&_gunn_scottish_pale_ale.jpg

Also doing these for €1 a bottle
    140x170_1_p1391097509693_innis_&_gunn_irish_whiskey_cask.jpg

http://www.martinsofflicence.ie/beer/innis-gunn-scottish-pale-ale/

I had gotten quiet used to them, now they are sold out and am probably going to cry.

That's pretty cheap for them I like Innis & Gunn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Innis & Gunn Irish Whiskey Cask for €1. I'd buy the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah we cleared out most of their stock. Don't like having that many strong beers lying around.

T'was out of date in beer terms hence the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

642860700050.jpg

Sh1t just got serious!

I bought one of these in Devenney's at the weekend - €2.79 and quite delightful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think Amber Ella tastes nicer from the bottle, rather than poured into a glass. Weird.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement