Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Seaneh wrote: »
    That would be lovely... I wish I had a rarity to give you in return but my beer "collection" which consists of a few bottles of aging Belgian quads and doubles and a few barley wines and stouts is living in Athlone...

Oh in sure you could find something rare and nice in drinkstore! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Had Beoir #1 last night (on draught) and also liked it more than Of Foam and Fury.

Both are obviously extremely flavourful but Beoir's bitter bite isn't as intense as OFAF, which made it more enjoyable to drink in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Having a can of Beamish with me dinner and I have to say lads, tis a grand stout. For €1.89 per can you really couldn't knock it.

I actually went to Tesco in the hopes of getting O'Hara's stout but they didn't have any, picked up a bottle of the red anyway, on my way through lidl while picking up some fruit for the week (2kg of apples for €1.99, couldn't bate it with a big schtick) and noticed how cheap Beamish was and decided to grab 2 cans, 1 to cook and 1 to drink, just to try it in the stew and delighted with the results.

Much better stout for cooking with than Guinness anyway and I reckon it's the best of the "big 3".

I'll take a few cans of Beamish every so often as well. Currently 5 for €9 in Super Valu, if one is close by to you.

The other night saw me return to Postman's Knock by the Hobson Brewery. An excellent beer but I wonder if it had just a bit more richnes, what would happen to it's flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

slayerking wrote: »

For the record, I'm finding the bottles of Beoir #1 much nicer than the draft version.

I don't know why, but I suspected it would be better in bottle.
    Not got to try the bottle, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

The Buxton stuff is really, really good. You should go buy it now. Yes, you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Fullers Wild River is really nice. Probably the best Fullers I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Had a curry for dinner tonight so decided to get some Full Sail and KPA.
    Both are ideal for a curry but Full Sail wins hands down, for me anyway.
    They've really hailed the bottled version over the last few months and I'm glad I persevered with it over the last year. Absolutely love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Just been given a bottle of some belgian beer called Ypres

Not drinking it tonight but any verdict on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Am i the only one who doesn't particularly like Irish craft beer scene.had an ofaf but thought the full sail was nicer but still wasn't the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Am i the only one who doesn't particularly like Irish craft beer scene.had an ofaf but thought the full sail was nicer but still wasn't the best

Are you basing your judgement on two beers from the same brewery?
    Some world class beers being produced in Ireland at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Galway Bay, Carlow Brewing, Trouble Brewing, Dungarven, West Kerry, 8 Degrees, Sweetmans, White Gypsy, Porterhouse, Blacks/Kinsale, Brown Paper Bag Project.

'nuff said

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Fullers Wild River is really nice. Probably the best Fullers I've tried.

I've had it from cask in a fullers pub, would love to try a bottle.

Where did you pick it up?

I've had it from cask in a fullers pub, would love to try a bottle.

Where did you pick it up?

Drinkstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale

hazelnut_brown_nectar3.png

Sweet malty hazelnut ale. Pretty distinctive flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Are you basing your judgement on two beers from the same brewery?
    Some world class beers being produced in Ireland at the mo.

abolutely not.in fact the porterhouse vienna they had on tap last year was one of my favourite beers but i've tried most of them and they just aren't on par with a lot of what else is on offer,but then again its all subjective to taste and thats just mine

abolutely not.in fact the porterhouse vienna they had on tap last year was one of my favourite beers but i've tried most of them and they just aren't on par with a lot of what else is on offer,but then again its all subjective to taste and thats just mine

Absolutely it's all subjective, this thread would be pretty boring if we all agreed on everything.

Beer style is also subjective. For instance, someone could say they don't like of foam and fury and write it off. It might just be a case that they don't like any dipas or hoppy beer for that matter.

Beer style is also subjective. For instance, someone could say they don't like of foam and fury and write it off. It might just be a case that they don't like any dipas or hoppy beer for that matter.

baron von something is not saying that though, he is saying that for any given style, the Irish produced version is not on par with the equivalent brewed elsewhere. At least that's my understanding of it.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    baron von something is not saying that though, he is saying that for any given style, the Irish produced version is not on par with the equivalent brewed elsewhere. At least that's my understanding of it.

That's what I want clarification on. All baron von something has said is that he doesnt like OFAF and Full Sail, two hoppy beers, but he does like Vienna, a malty Lager.
    No justification for why we are producing sub par beer, which I disagree with.
    For the record, I'm not the biggest fan of Full Sail myself. :)

Hooker finally making the move to Galway. Not too soon either. I wonder will anyone take up their old unit in Roscommon, AFAIK the kit there still belongs to the owner of the building, so could be a "turn key" opportunity for someone.

New unit with a new floor means new steel. I expect an expansion in range from them soon with the stout being available as well as one or two new beers.

10251956_459987604131421_4754488879990136434_n.jpg
    10314592_459987644131417_4200664618711647089_n.jpg

Two newbies from Trouble pouring in Brew Dock Today.
    After trying (and loving) the Red Rye Ale I am looking forward to having a glass of each of these.

10157342_637974062938684_8860445859760399713_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

After trying (and loving) the Red Rye Ale I am looking forward to having a glass of each of these.

Nice one Seaneh, I see from their facebook page that they have Augustiner Helles on draught too!

img_0

In that case.....

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hooker finally making the move to Galway. Not too soon either. I wonder will anyone take up their old unit in Roscommon, AFAIK the kit there still belongs to the owner of the building, so could be a "turn key" opportunity for someone.

There is supposedly a new brewery on the way in Roscommon as well as one in Longford. One wonders....

There is supposedly a new brewery on the way in Roscommon as well as one in Longford. One wonders....

Longford one is St. Mel's, former O'Hara's brewer starting his own business, should be good beer.

Hadn't heard of Roscommon getting a new brewery though, could be the owner starting up again or something? Or an entirely new outfit elsewhere.

upforit101 wrote: »
    Nice one Seaneh, I see from their facebook page that they have Augustiner Helles on draught too!

In that case.....

giphy.gif

Is is that good? I'm not really a fan of pale lagers, but I'll try anything once, I don't mind the likes of spaten...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Rebel Red, straight from the source in Cork BOIIIIIII! :D

RebelRed1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Is is that good? I'm not really a fan of pale lagers, but I'll try anything once, I don't mind the likes of spaten...

I think its highly enough rates by lager likers. Doesnt do it for me though

Rebel Red, straight from the source in Cork BOIIIIIII! :D

RebelRed1.jpg

Hate to do this, pretty sure that bottle was brewed in the UK though...

Also, is that a new label? And is that a 500ml bottle? I'm used to them looking like this:

0002567_franciscan-well-rebel-red-33cl_400.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

10157342_637974062938684_8860445859760399713_n.jpg

Interested to see what the session ale is like. I'm a big fan of dead pony club, wonder if it compares..

Interested to see what the session ale is like. I'm a big fan of dead pony club, wonder if it compares..

Yeah I like that "style" I like Founders All Day, DPC, 21st Amendment's "Bitter American". Looking forward to trying this and Blacks new sessiona ale as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I really like Bo Bristle IPA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement