Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Seaneh wrote: »
    Don't get too ahead of yourself, at the end of the day tis only beer, it's not going to change your life (unless you make it, sell it and make a fortune off of it).

It was fairly damn nice. A lot more drinkable than I expected given the bitterness and strength. I'll definitely be having more, but first impressions are very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

perlenbacher, on offer in lidl, strongish enough stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Pine Mountain Pilsner from Deschutes. Nice and clean and crisp with a little hop bite. Good but not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Picked up some of the Blacks session ale, looking forward to giving it a try later on. Been looking for a decent session ale for a while, my head can't handle a whole night of 6% beers anymore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Picked up some of the Blacks session ale, looking forward to giving it a try later on. Been looking for a decent session ale for a while, my head can't handle a whole night of 6% beers anymore

I'd hoped that these new "session" would be cheaper per pint in pubs but it's looking like they are in and around the same price as "regular" pints. Which is grand, just doesn't really incentivise me to but them.

Less malt, less alcohol (attracting less duty) and so forth, in my head, should translate into, even slightly, less expensive.

Still haven't see the Blacks Session Ale in an offie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Drinkstore have it, and I saw it yesterday in the offy beside Supervalu/Superquinn in Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'd hoped that these new "session" would be cheaper per pint in pubs but it's looking like they are in and around the same price as "regular" pints. Which is grand, just doesn't really incentivise me to but them.

Less malt, less alcohol (attracting less duty) and so forth, in my head, should translate into, even slightly, less expensive.

I agree. Especially non alcoholic beer being nearly the same price as alcoholic beer!:( not that I drink it anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Picked up a Leann Follain and a couple of Hobgoblin for later, after a hard week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Had a bottle of Stormy Port last night, was very tasty. Unfortunately it made the corona I had to drink after taste like piss water.

Just finished a bottle of it now, it's a nice and refreshing although a little thin and watery, but that's just probably just the nature of the beast. Very drinkable all the same. Got some good floral hop aroma although not as much to taste.

I take your point tho, it's not as strongly flavored as their other beers and it does (superficially at least) feel like you getting less flavor for your money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Troubles graffiti pale ale is decent, more body than some other Irish pale ales at 3.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Started off with an M&S Somerset Vintage Cider. Potent at 7.2% (I think) but nice and crisp. Bit of an oaky aftertaste but very pleasant.

Then moved on to a Dungarvan Mahon Falls. Interesting but I wouldn't drink it all night.

After that, delved into a 750ml bottle of St Bernardus Abt 12.

Now having a Sierra Nevada Beer Camp. Thankfully no work tomorrow and I pigged out at our BBQ in the back garden. It'll be needed to absorb all the ethanol. :D

Coisbo - Astoria Black. An imperial stout that's extremely heavy on the roasted malts, but even so, it still drinks really well.

drumswan wrote: »
    Troubles graffiti pale ale is decent, more body than some other Irish pale ales at 3.5%

Had it earlier on, streets ahead of the kinsale session ale. You really don't notice the lower alcohol %. Really delicious, full of flavour, just hope they bottle it.

Had Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, bit sweet for my liking. I'll try not to touch the rest for another six months or so.
    When is Hoptimum due out?

Ipso wrote: »
    When is Hoptimum due out?

Some time around last year.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Some time around last year.

Thought it was seasonal, not a one off. To the DeLorean then!

Ipso wrote: »
    Thought it was seasonal, not a one off. To the DeLorean then!

Don't think it's a one off, afaik it's still available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Don't think it's a one off, afaik it's still available.

It's an vintage release like bigfoot and narwhal. There's a year on the labels on the neck of the bottles anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Had it earlier on, streets ahead of the kinsale session ale. You really don't notice the lower alcohol %. Really delicious, full of flavour, just hope they bottle it.

Did something I rarely do and had several of these in a row last night, it really is an excellent beer, comfortably the best of these low ABV beers Ive had. Hope its bottled and if it is, that the bottles are comparable to the draught. Could be a new go-to sessioner for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

A Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye, followed by a Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast and a Fyne Ales Hurricane Jack.
    It's great to see such quality craft beer on draft at your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

slayerking wrote: »
    A Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye, followed by a Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast and a Fyne Ales Hurricane Jack.
    It's great to see such quality craft beer on draft at your doorstep.

Where has beer geek?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Was in a Tipp pub yesterday, they had white gypsy ale on draft which was nice enough. They also had bottles of white gypsy Christmas ale, Can't remember the name, something Or. I liked it, dark ale with a subtle bit of berry sweetness. It was quite unusual. Strong stuff too.
    I was in Offaly the day before and picked up bottles of bo bristle IPA and Amber ale. The amber ale was good, IPA didn't impress. Reminded me of the kinsale stuff which I don't like. Also bought cans of modus hoperandi. Nectar of the gods

Was in a Tipp pub yesterday, they had white gypsy ale on draft which was nice enough. They also had bottles of white gypsy Christmas ale, Can't remember the name, something Or. I liked it, dark ale with a subtle bit of berry sweetness. It was quite unusual. Strong stuff too.

Yule Ól

beer_195971.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Also bought cans of modus hoperandi

Did you buy this in Offaly....??? If you did ... Whereabouts....
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nplunkett

Re session ales, 3 I know of are founders all day IPA, stone barrel boom and kinsale. Should get them in all good off licences, I know molloys stock all 3 and I'm sure drinkstore, redmonds etc do as well. Founders all day IPA is now in cana as well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

4 cans of Founder's Centennial for a tenner in McHughes. They had Modus Hoperandi, but it was €3 something. €3.40, maybe. Life would be so simple if that was always €2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Just popped a bottle of the O'Hara's barley wine aged in whiskey barrels. HUGE whiskey hit, more than I was expecting. I've had the 8 Degrees whiskey stout before but this is much stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Re session ales, 3 I know of are founders all day IPA, stone barrel boom and kinsale. Should get them in all good off licences, I know molloys stock all 3 and I'm sure drinkstore, redmonds etc do as well. Founders all day IPA is now in cana as well

All day IPA is around 4.7% and stone barrel is 5% so while not overly strong are not really in the session ale range of less than 4 like the kinsale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Yule Ól

Yep that's it. I was getting the name arseways even while drinking it with bottle in hand!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement