Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I've a Hobgoblin and 2 Helvick Gold in the press, plus a few different home brews for tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Started off with a bottle of Red Hook Audible Ale.
    Decidedly meh... It had a faint "soapy" taste similar to some of the macros and also quite sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a bottle of Bo Bristle Amber Ale earlier. Really enjoyed it, very English in style.

I also picked up a bottle of Jackhammer earlier as I needed to check if it really was as bad as I remember especially when a few on here have said that it's actually nice. Wow! I must've got a bad bottle last time. It's really nice, nowhere near as bitter as I remember it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Must try jackhammer again too, all I tasted were sour cream and onion pringles first time I had it.

had the metalman yerba, perfectly nice porter, not really sure how anybody could dislike it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think this thread was hit with a bad batch of Jack Hammer! Great mix of hops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Im a creature of habit but hey, currently working through some amazing cold Goose Island IPA and S NEV Celebration ale. Lovely

For some reason the six pack of Celebration I had a while back seemed inconsistent; about half the bottles were lovely and the other half just ok. Same with the Ruthless Rye actually.
    I have a large bottle of their 2014 Southern Hemisphere series, Hop Harvest, to try over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

had a couple tyskie from the lidl offer, nice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Enjoyed the Celebration Stout but the Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout is top notch, just the right syrupyness mixed with liquorice, coffee, toffee flavours and a smooth finish, damn fine stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Tried the peanut butter stout

Unexceptional. My curiosity is well and truly satisfied and I'll not be trying it again I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had a bit of a mix last night. Brooklyn East India Pale Ale, Goose Island India Pale Ale and a Punk Hardcore IPA. The Brooklyn was a bit disappointing, pretty standard IPA. Goose Island IPA was surprisingly good, much nice than the Brooklyn. The Punk had amazing flavour but was slightly too much alcohol for my liking.

• Advertisement

Kentucky IPA.

Nice smell. Awful aftertaste.

But on the bright side,

Harviestown Old Engine Oil porter is a superior beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Had the SN Hop Harvest IPA, not to impressed to be honest. After a while when it warmed up there was a faint citrusy, mango type taste but that was it.
    This future release of theirs looks intriguing.
    http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/specialty/harvest-wild-hop-ipa-neo-mexicanus-varietal?ageGate=pass

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Tried the peanut butter stout

Unexceptional. My curiosity is well and truly satisfied and I'll not be trying it again I reckon

Had a pint from keg in The Black Sheep. Not impressed.
    Thought it was a bit sharp tasting. Not enough roast notes, and the peanut was way too subtle. I'd love to sample a different peanut butter stout, because I suspect the problem is not the principle, but the application here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thornbridge Colorado Red - Lovely dark red colored beer. Nice caramel flavour followed by nice hoppy piney bitterness. Really liked this but at 4.99 a bottle I wont be buying many to be honest.

Thornbridge Sequoia - Similar colour to the above but more amber I would say. I thought this was more hoppy then the red but I also enjoyed this aswell. Again at 4.99 I wont be buying many.

To Øl First Frontier IPA - A very nice American styled IPA a little sweet but nice bitterness too. Again for 4.75 a bottle I wont be getting many of these either.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Thornbridge Colorado Red - Lovely dark red colored beer. Nice caramel flavour followed by nice hoppy piney bitterness. Really liked this but at 4.99 a bottle I wont be buying many to be honest.

Thornbridge Sequoia - Similar colour to the above but more amber I would say. I thought this was more hoppy then the red but I also enjoyed this aswell. Again at 4.99 I wont be buying many.

I thought the Red was awful, didn't like it all. The Sequoia was really nice, like a tamer more reserved 5AM Saint. But just like yourself, wouldn't be going back due to the ridiculous price. Thornbridge beers are way too expensive over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I thought the Red was awful, didn't like it all. The Sequoia was really nice, like a tamer more reserved 5AM Saint. But just like yourself, wouldn't be going back due to the ridiculous price. Thornbridge beers are way too expensive over here.

I had drank the Camden Town beer before the red so maybe this made me think it was better than it was. Also I am a bit of a fanboy of Thornbridge beers so probably a little biased.

Saying that the price of their beers are starting to annoy me.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I had drank the Camden Town beer before the red so maybe this made me think it was better than it was. Also I am a bit of a fanboy of Thornbridge beers so probably a little biased.

Saying that the price of their beers are starting to annoy me.

I used to be too, and it was generally the case that even though you were paying a premium you were getting a really top beer. Just felt a bit ripped off with those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Visited the Radeberger brewery, DAMN does it taste fresh at the source! Excellent, hoppy rich lager, got to taste the unfiltered version too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

182380_10152294020420123_446841526_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

In Bull and Castle last week, don't go Thursday as it's full of developers. Although they all thought we were ones, and there was some free food being passed about so maybe go.

Anyway friend ordered a Galway Hooker. I've never tried it. He had a sip and instantly gagged, I had a sip and also thought it was one of the worst beers I've ever tasted.

It usually like that or something off? Barman didn't question when he asked for a different tipple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Galway Hooker is a fairly inoffensive pale ale, perfectly drinkable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RasTa wrote: »
    It usually like that or something off
    You're asking if everyone thinks that Galway Hooker is off all the time? No, they don't.

What did he have instead?

drumswan wrote: »
    Galway Hooker is a fairly inoffensive pale ale, perfectly drinkable.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    You're asking if everyone thinks that Galway Hooker is off all the time? No, they don't.

What did he have instead?

Yeah thought that, this tasted revolting. Just wondering as the barman didn't seem too surprised.

He started with the hurricane then Galway and switched back to the other Eight Degrees on tap, forget the name.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

In Bull and Castle last week, don't go Thursday as it's full of developers. Although they all thought we were ones, and there was some free food being passed about so maybe go.

They're there every 2nd Thursday, as far as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Anyway friend ordered a Galway Hooker. I've never tried it. He had a sip and instantly gagged, I had a sip and also thought it was one of the worst beers I've ever tasted.

It usually like that or something off? Barman didn't question when he asked for a different tipple.

Probably just a bad pint. I ordered one recently in another bar and knew after the first taste it was off. It also had that "smelly 'socks" aroma that goes with bad pints.

It's usually a grand pint though. Nothing spectacular, but I'm glad of it when there's nothing else on tap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

He started with the hurricane then Galway
    Ahhhh. Well that makes sense: something as hoppy as Hurricane will just strip anyone's palate of the ability to taste the hops in the likes of Hooker. It's not the Hooker's fault :) What were you drinking when you tasted it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Heading to 57 The Headline for one tonight, looking forward to trying Hurricane again unless anyone can suggest something else that I should be trying

BeerNut wrote: »
    Ahhhh. Well that makes sense: something as hoppy as Hurricane will just strip anyone's palate of the ability to taste the hops in the likes of Hooker. It's not the Hooker's fault :) What were you drinking when you tasted it?

I was on Metalman. It was definitely off, don't think it was down to anything we drank before hand. Tasted like chewing gum and feet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's entirely possible the pint was off or was just sitting in the lines for too long.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement