Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RasTa wrote: »
    Tasted like chewing gum and feet.
    I've experienced this often enough to know that's well within the bounds of possibility without the Hooker being off. Or the Hooker may have been off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

matrim wrote: »
    Heading to 57 The Headline for one tonight, looking forward to trying Hurricane again unless anyone can suggest something else that I should be trying

Try the Trouble brewing Grafitti. Was very impressed, only 3.6% abv but really delicious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's entirely possible the pint was off or was just sitting in the lines for too long.

More likely the former as GH was never sitting in the lines long in the B&C.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Koblenzer Zischke, unfiltered Zwicklbier. Gorgeous. Reminds me of Blarney Blonde, only softer or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I was in Dublin last week and had intended to have a try my hand at a few of the crafts on tap. We stopped off at The Brew Dock as soon as we got off the train and I had My first Galway Bay from a tap, Bay Ale. I thought it was lovely! Herself had a cider which the barman suggested, Mac Ivors traditional dry, which I have to admit tasted gorgeous compared to the widely available ones like Bulmers and Kopparberg! I had every intention of stopping off before I headed home to try OFAF from tap which I was recommended to do by someone on here. I was disgusted to find the place packed (good sign for the pub) on my way home, so I had to leave it :(.

I was also in The Porterhouse in Temple Bar and had the Kinnegar Scraggy Bay. I don't know if it was the drink itself, or the fact that I had eaten beforehand but Ijust couldn't stomach it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Trouble's Graffiti on cask. Fecking beautiful. The bits of hop suspended in the glass look cool too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Trouble's Graffiti on cask. Fecking beautiful. The bits of hop suspended in the glass look cool too.

They leave hops in it? On purpose? I dont think id enjoy that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

adamski8 wrote: »

If you make homebrew you can still see tiny bits of hops floating in from the boil. You can get rid of a lot of it by using some finings like Irish Moss, or leaving it in the fridge for a while, once bottled, helps the particles drop out of suspension. Breweries obviously do this a lot quicker by filtering.

I'd imagine it was adding hops to the cask for extra dry hopping. It's unfiltered but the hops were probably added in the cask.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

sometimes i hate coming on here to read all about the tasty beers ye get on tap.i'd love to try some of the bottles that i like on draught.the only alternative drinks on offer for me is one bar just recently got brooklyn,one bar has sierra nevada ipa(but it thinks its cool and different by having erdinger and hoegarden) and another bar has franziskaner instead of erdinger.not much variety.in saying that 2 of these bars do have an ok selection of bottles

anyway,just had a bottle of Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace and i don't quite know what to make of it.it reminds me a little of a weissbier on the nose but its crisp like a pilsner.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    If you make homebrew you can still see tiny bits of hops floating in from the boil. You can get rid of a lot of it by using some finings like Irish Moss, or leaving it in the fridge for a while, once bottled, helps the particles drop out of suspension. Breweries obviously do this a lot quicker by filtering.

I homebrew all the time but have never got hops in the bottles. Never had in anyone elses HB either. Also never did from cask dry hopped commercials.

Is it called girraffe because of these bits of hop??

I would have said it wouldnt be pleasent having to pick out bits of hops from your mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I homebrew all the time but have never got hops in the bottles. Never had in anyone elses HB either. Also never did from cask dry hopped commercials.

So all your beers are super clear?

Is it called girraffe because of these bits of hop??

I would have said it wouldnt be pleasent having to pick out bits of hops from your mouth

You don't have to pick bits of hop out of your mouth. They are tiny. You just drink it.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    So all your beers are super clear?

well ive never noticed? the most ive ever seen in homebrew is yeast? maybe this is more common than i thought and im just blind?!!! never heard anyone mention it before either?

ive had some beer before that was hazy, either a wheat beer or some other style that maybe i didnt get a good cold break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ifaptwohanded

Always enjoy a Tiger beer, my beer this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I've seen bigger than yours — Tø Øl

Nice barley wine but quite heavy at 14%

Fran well Purgatory on keg in Abbotts, it's grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Very bitter in its keg form, I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Ive found it a bit meh compared to other pale ales out there.

Had an OFAF, followed by a founders porter (what the fup was I thinking doing it in that order :rolleyes: ) and then two buried at sea. A great afternoon of beer plus table tennis and home in time for the dinner:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Theyve a few Evil Twin beers in Baggot St Wines, havent seen them elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

drumswan wrote: »
    Theyve a few Evil Twin beers in Baggot St Wines, havent seen them elsewhere

Think you'll start to see them in more places soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

matrim wrote: »
    Think you'll start to see them in more places soon

Thanks, some people like to be tipped off when interesting beers pop up somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

drumswan wrote: »
    Thanks, some people like to be tipped off when interesting beers pop up somewhere

I just read about it on Twitter from the importer @4corners4beer

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Very bitter in its keg form, I find.

It's very unbalanced, there is no body or sweetness at all, it's just like hoppy water.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Very impressed by Sierra Nevada Harvest wet hop ale, had it on draught last night, lovely stuff!

banjopaul wrote: »
    Very impressed by Sierra Nevada Harvest wet hop ale, had it on draught last night, lovely stuff!

Oooh, where had it on draught? Was it the northern or southern hemisphere harvest?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Cutthroat Porter on tap in the Black Sheep. Lovely, so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Oooh, where had it on draught? Was it the northern or southern hemisphere harvest?

P.Macs on Stephen Street Lower.

Didn't notice which version at the time, but definitely said wet hop on the tap. From googling it looks like it says 'wet hop' on Northern hemisphere and 'fresh hop' on Southern hemisphere, so it was Northern I think!

Decent selection on draught there, I also had Founders porter, Bo Bristle IPA, and a TB Dark Arts. Looked like they had a decent selection of bottles too, but no list around and wasn't arsed hanging over the bar to look in the fridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

banjopaul wrote: »
    P.Macs on Stephen Street Lower.

Didn't notice which version at the time, but definitely said wet hop on the tap. From googling it looks like it says 'wet hop' on Northern hemisphere and 'fresh hop' on Southern hemisphere, so it was Northern I think!

Decent selection on draught there, I also had Founders porter, Bo Bristle IPA, and a TB Dark Arts. Looked like they had a decent selection of bottles too, but no list around and wasn't arsed hanging over the bar to look in the fridges.

They have a decent selection alright there. Same people behind Cassidy's I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To me it tastes like it would be very good on cask (and is iirc) but just doesn't work so well on keg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement