Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Mikkeller 1000 IBU. Oh yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I had a beer from a local brewery called Black Diamond who are located in the San Francisco Bay area. It was called Fracas and described as a hoppy Imperial Red Ale, as expected it was hoppy and had a bit of a caramel taste to it.
    However there was another taste that dominated it that I couldn't place. On their label they mentioned a raisin taste, and that's what it was. To be honest it spoiled it for me. What could have been very nice was just average.
    I have a bottle of Hoptimum to look forward to and another IPA from a small brewery located outside San Francisco.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a bottle of Maiden Voyage by Kinnegar last night. Not much going on tbh. It's only 3.8% so I guess it'd make an alright session beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Had a Sierra Nevada Harvest Wet Hop in P Macs. First time in there, nice spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

slayerking wrote: »

Tried to go in at about 7pm one friday a few weeks back and couldn't even get to the bar. Seems to be rammed with the after work crowd, need to head back another night and actually order a drink there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

slayerking wrote: »

Was in for a few pints before and it's a nice enough place. Good selection, barman seemed to know what he as about and the music was good and not too loud.

2 main gripes I had with the place were layout isn't the best, there seemed to be a few big tables that weren't needed so it looks like it has limited seating for the size and the bathrooms are really far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Carrigs Amber and Pale are threading dangerously close to drainpour territory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

The bad this weekend:
    Eviltwins hipster ale-not great at all
    Crafty dans 13 guns-an amber style ipa thing that didnt taste right at all.
    SN celebration 2012-didnt enjoy it that much

The good:
    Bbp gose-one of my favs
    Widmer bro hopside down and nelson ipas-always good
    Kona koko brown ale-great toasty coconut flavours off this one, a bit thin in body but if you like coconut like i do its a winner

I have two new wexford beers Jack doyles ipa and porter in my fridge now, hope they are good although ive heard mixed reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Finishing off the weekend with a Nogne Mandarina.
    Undecided, to be honest.
    Smells quite nice but a bit disappointing in taste although there is a pleasant element of sourness.
    I wouldn't be rushing out to buy it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The_M wrote: »
    I'm in Maine and just had a Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA. Very nice. 7.25ABV, nice hoppiness balanced with some sweetness by the addition of maple syrup. Very drinkable!
    Interesting, I'm heading there next week. Will see if I can find one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Hoptimum, i felt like rubbing the inside of the bottle with my fingers to get some more beer to rub into my gums.
    I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I bought some Kinsale Pale Ale from Drinkstore. I hope that batch was as nice as it is now.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I bought some Kinsale Pale Ale from Drinkstore. I hope that batch was as nice as it is now.

I'm not sure if I've tried it before. Actually wouldn't be a bad buy if it was half way decent.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I've tried it before. Actually wouldn't be a bad buy if it was half way decent.

The first batch (brewed at 8 degrees, sold in 330ml bottles) is €1 per bottle in Drink store. It's not as good as the batch Sam did himself in the new brewery but it's still a good beer and for €1 per bottle you can't go wrong to be honest.

I'm planning on spenging the big bucks and dropping a tenner on 4 of them and 4 2012 celebrations on Thursday to keep my fridge full for the weekend.

Seaneh wrote: »
    The first batch (brewed at 8 degrees, sold in 330ml bottles) is €1 per bottle in Drink store. It's not as good as the batch Sam did himself in the new brewery but it's still a good beer and for €1 per bottle you can't go wrong to be honest.
    Ah I know the history, and that they're short dated. Just can't remember if I've tried it before.

I'm planning on spenging the big bucks and dropping a tenner on 4 of them and 4 2012 celebrations on Thursday to keep my fridge full for the weekend.
    :) You're right though I suppose. You can't really go wrong at that price!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    :) You're right though I suppose. You can't really go wrong at that price!

Yep, by 'some' I mean I bought 24. I couldn't resist. At that price I'm not going to complain even if they're not as nice as the most recent batch, as Seaneh says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Yep, by 'some' I mean I bought 24. I couldn't resist. At that price I'm not going to complain even if they're not as nice as the most recent batch, as Seaneh says.

Yeah jaysus, I'm tempted to go mad and buy 48 bottles. Bargain!

Well, that was a terrible experience. No indication fron Drinkstore that the beer had been sent or of delivery hours. Now I must pick up said 24 beers from the post depot, which is much further away and precisely what I set out to avoid by paying for delivery. I have flexible hours too so I was prepared to hang around. This really could have been avoided with some kind of indication of roughly when it might turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Well, that was a terrible experience. No indication fron Drinkstore that the beer had been sent or of delivery hours. Now I must pick up said 24 beers from the post depot, which is much further away and precisely what I set out to avoid by paying for delivery. I have flexible hours too so I was prepared to hang around. This really could have been avoided with some kind of indication of roughly when it might turn up.

Do Drinkstore deliver orders at specified times?

Do Drinkstore deliver orders at specified times?

I don't know - they didn't tell me. I wasn't even aware of when the package had been dispatched. A person can't wait without information for one and a half days or more for a package to arrive.

Also, the reward for my patience - an inadequately packed box and a broken bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

I always get a follow-up e-mail from Drinkstore to let me know that my delivery will be dispatched within the next 24 hours.

Boxes are always adequately packed & €5 for Dublin delivery/€6 for the rest of the country, is very reasonable IMHO

I did reprimand the delivery guy the last time for the way he man-handled my delivery & explained to him it was bottles & a bit more care was required.

I always get a follow-up e-mail from Drinkstore to let me know that my delivery will be dispatched within the next 24 hours.

Boxes are always adequately packed & €5 for Dublin delivery/€6 for the rest of the country, is very reasonable IMHO

I did reprimand the delivery guy the last time for the way he man-handled my delivery & explained to him it was bottles & a bit more care was required.

Confirmation of dispatch within the next 24 hours isn't the same as confirmation of dispatch. With the information I had it could have been anywhere from about 3pm on Wednesday to 7pm (or later) on Friday.

Delivery charges have nothing to do with my case.

The courier certainly played a part in this but the packaging looks terrible to me (just a box with no padding at all) - as indicated by the broken bottle.

I want to forgive but it has been an unpleasant experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Have you gotten back on to Drinkstore?

Yeah I'd be phoning the shop to complain and give them the chance to rectify the problem

Yeah I'd be phoning the shop to complain and give them the chance to rectify the problem

Yep, definitely giving them a chance to rectify it! Just sharing my experience. I will post any developments here so please don't think I'm trying to unfairly smear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I don't know - they didn't tell me. I wasn't even aware of when the package had been dispatched. A person can't wait without information for one and a half days or more for a package to arrive.

Also, the reward for my patience - an inadequately packed box and a broken bottle.

Unless they offer a specific time then the old chestnut about delivery times and couriers/postmen comes into play. Been there myself and it's no fun.

Sorry to hear of the broken bottle and bad packing BTW; do give them a shout and see what they say.

Yep, definitely giving them a chance to rectify it! Just sharing my experience. I will post any developments here so please don't think I'm trying to unfairly smear them.

I'm sure nobody thinks that and it's handy to know their method of delivery. Most couriers usually give you a call in the morning to make sure you'll be home or ask for directions, surprised they didn't. Maybe Drinkstore can pass on the message to the company and request they always call patrons in advance to make sure someone can collect.

I'm sure nobody thinks that and it's handy to know their method of delivery. Most couriers usually give you a call in the morning to make sure you'll be home or ask for directions, surprised they didn't. Maybe Drinkstore can pass on the message to the company and request they always call patrons in advance to make sure someone can collect.

Cask Dark Arts in The Black Sheep. Totally different beer from the cask. Brilliant stuff.

Cask Dry hopped Metalman Pale Ale in the same establishment. Lovely stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Cask Dry hopped Metalman Pale Ale in the same establishment. Lovely stuff.

Do they still have Full Sail on cask?

In the middle of studying for exams at the moment so can't head out to try it but hope they still have it on next week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement