Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hatfry

Sierra Nevada - Porter
    Bru Ri - Ipa
    Founders - Ipa
    Brewdog - Ipa

All decent beers. Sierra nevada pale ale is lovely but the stout is very sharp. Nice drink and id have it again. Bru Ri ive had many times and always grab a bottle or 2 when theres not much of a selection otherwise, nice and smooth always goes down a treat. The founders id never heard of but was comparable to blue moon without the fruity twang, didnt like it at all and dont think id get it again. Brewdogs IPA is a nice beer, ive had it a good few times and always nice, quite citrusy and bitter and youd be able to have a few without getting sick of it. All in all i was happy with the selecton but did not expect sierra nevada porter to be stout which was just OK and founders just wasnt that nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Bought a can of Evil Twin Hipster Ale to have with my lunch (Fish and Chips from Cosy Take Away beside McHugh's on the malahide road, thank you very much half price fish and chips day) and I have to say, it's a bit "meh".

smells like a standard pale lager and the taste isn't far off, if not a lot more bitter. Should have went with my first thought and got a can of Dales.

That's two Evil Twin beers I've had now that while fine beers, I wouldn't bother buying again. He's quickly going the way of his brother in my "not worth buying" estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Seaneh wrote: »
    Bought a can of Evil Twin Hipster Ale to have with my lunch (Fish and Chips from Cosy Take Away beside McHugh's on the malahide road, thank you very much half price fish and chips day) and I have to say, it's a bit "meh"..

Had it on Saturday, not overly impressed with it

oblivious wrote: »
    Had it on Saturday, not overly impressed with it

There's just nothing to it at all...

It's like some boring English mass produced pale ale or generic lager with more bitterness at the end.

No sweetness, no body, no discernible hop taste or smell, just cold, wet and slightly bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

There's just nothing to it at all...

It's like some boring English mass produced pale ale or generic lager with more bitterness at the end.

No sweetness, no body, no discernible hop taste or smell, just cold, wet and slightly bitter.

Found it very dry with loads of strongly toasted malt myself, very flavoursome indeed, wondered if there was rye in it. Pretty decent pale ale in my book. Had a Dales directly after, preferred the bit of sweet malt in that one.

Give me O'Haras Pale Ale on draught over either of them tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hipster Ale and **** art, this is religion are two beers I'll never purchase down to their name

Anyone notice a problem with the carbonation of GBB Full Sail bottles lately?

Picked up a few bottles from McHugh's last saturday and they taste great but there is very little carbonation, I hat to pour it very hard to get a head and there doesn't seem to be much going on in the glass either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Victory Dirt Wolf is an amazing DIPA.

The new one (or new to me) from Founders is really nice too. Reminds me of a slightly toned down Barley Wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

To øl's Black Ball Porter and Raid Beer are fantastic, and nothing from Evil Twin I've tried comes close to them. The Imperial porter is decent, but I'd rather a Black Ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Lagunitas Imperial Stout, blacker than Longford in November, but much nicer with some vanilla and licorice flavours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

nogne o two captains dipa. It's been on my list for a while.
    Sipping it at the moment and it's very impressive.
    Great balance of citrus & hops without over sweetness.
    Also have a foam & fury but might leave that for another day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Picked up a few bottles from McHugh's last saturday and they taste great but there is very little carbonation, I hat to pour it very hard to get a head and there doesn't seem to be much going on in the glass either.

Yep, same problem over the last couple of weeks. Bit annoying, takes the enjoyment out of an otherwise excellent beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HolyBarley

Managed to get my hands on a lagunitas IPA and some Jai Ali from Cigar City Brewing in Tampa. Not a bad way to spend an evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

HolyBarley wrote: »
    Managed to get my hands on a lagunitas IPA and some Jai Ali from Cigar City Brewing in Tampa. Not a bad way to spend an evening.

Which did you prefer? Keep an eye out for Lagunitas Maximus and Hop Stoopid, better than the regular IPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Had the OFAF after all. Think I prefer it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Had a couple of Bo Bristle IPA out in Hogs & Heifers in Swords. I tasted BB a couple of years ago at the RDS and didn't like it for being too hoppy. I doubt the recipe has changed, more my palette has, and I found it a small bit lacking in hops tonight, but grand for having a few beers watching a couple of bands. They also have BB Red and Pilsner, and I spotted Fran Well Red all on tap - no craft bottles though.

Just home now and sipping a Helvick Gold while waiting for the mrs to arrive home from dropping the babysitter.

I don't like Golden/Blondes, but this was a present. Meh.

The Bo Bristle IPA has definitely changed, and not only since they changed their name from brew eyed, but since they launched their IPA, it's much better now than it was even 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

slayerking wrote: »
    Just double checked with then on Facebook.
    The Lager is just being brewed today. They brewed a Pale ale yesterday and a 'Longford style' brown ale is being brewed tomorrow. All beers are being dry hopped and bottle conditioned with a second strain of yeast.

Faith restored!

Don't worry, there's some pretty epic stuff planned ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The Bo Bristle IPA has definitely changed, and not only since they changed their name from brew eyed, but since they launched their IPA, it's much better now than it was even 6 months ago.

Must give it another spin so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Full Sail is not being brewed at the moment apparently. GBB have capacity issues.

Anyhoo, got some Flying Dog Double Dog IPAs earlier - 4 for €10! 11.5% :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Heroditas wrote: »
    Do tell where one acquired this delicious libation at such a premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Full Sail is not being brewed at the moment apparently. GBB have capacity issues.

Care to share where?

edit: ah drinkstore

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They have lots of it.
    Look at it this way - we can get alcoholic beverages the same strength as wine for next to nothing. :D

The bottle would have been brewed in march (expiery date was march 23rd 2015, im guessing that's bottle date+ 1 year).

GBB are in the middle of the second upgrade and move so capacity is as tight as a ducks arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Oskar Blues Gubna. Really strange hop profile. It's a drinkable in every other sense except for the weird medicinal aftertaste.

Edit- it turns out that it's the Rye that I'm tasting. Me not likey

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

To øl First Frontier. Nice hop mixture and a decent beer overall, but doesn't top their Raid Beer for a good IPA worth a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

lovely grolsch hmmmm

Do tell where one acquired this delicious libation at such a premium?
    Damn you Heroditas & your thrifty, excellent libations, recommendations :eek:

My aching brain container curses you this day :D;)

Care to share where?

edit: ah drinkstore
    You too schemingbohemia are as equally admonished as Heroditas, you enabler :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

James Squire One Fifty Lashes.

Pale Ale.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement