Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had some mikkler 1000 ibu during the week. It started nice but the hops quickly became overpowering and by the end i was glad to finish

Have some founders all day IPA for a BBQ today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Had a couple of cans of Founders Centennial last night, truly a world class IPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Last night I had Dog Fish Head 90 minute IPA and Dirt Wolf.
    The Dog Fish Head was lovely, I found it more malt forward with the hops being not too dominant.
    The Dirt Wolf reminded me of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed; fruity/floral and not too bitter. Not worth the hype for me, especially when it's $16 a four pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ipso wrote: »
    Last night I had Dog Fish Head 90 minute IPA and Dirt Wolf.
    The Dog Fish Head was lovely, I found it more malt forward with the hops being not too dominant.
    The Dirt Wolf reminded me of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed; fruity/floral and not too bitter. Not worth the hype for me, especially when it's $16 a four pack.

I had a bottle of Dirt Wolf during the week and I thought it was amazing. Didn't know there was a load of hype around it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pretty poor IPA and a slightly dark amber coloured "black IPA" in Brewerkz brew bar in Singapore. Rotten theme bar with sports screens everywhere and no character at all. If in Singapore, I wouldn't bother .
    I also suspect they the beers weren't the advertised ABV either.

Guilty for dragging my poor wife all the way there.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I had a bottle of Dirt Wolf during the week and I thought it was amazing. Didn't know there was a load of hype around it though.

Hype is probably over doing it, as obviously it's not like Pliny or Heady Topper where supply is restricted to small areas.
    I seem to recall on Beer Advocate a lot of people were really talking it up.
    It's a damn fine beer, but I think California is at the extreme end of their distribution in the US (can't get Founders here, or Left Hand and it's brewed in Colorado) so that possibly contributes to the price.
    I would get it over a lot of other beers if it were priced similarly, but I can get a four pack of Hoptimum for $10 and a lot of other IPA's in six packs for under $10 so I would factor that into it.
    I also remember Victory's Hop Devil being very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Evil Twin Hipster Ale ; nice pale ale quite piney smelling. Not overly hoppy but just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

drumswan wrote: »
    Had a couple of cans of Founders Centennial last night, truly a world class IPA

If I was taking price into the equation, its probably my favourite beer.

Dirt Wolf is on the front page of ratebeer right now, it's hardly available in Ireland?

Grayditch wrote: »
    If I was taking price into the equation, its probably my favourite beer.

Redmonds doing for cans for a tenner

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Dirt Wolf is on the front page of ratebeer right now, it's hardly available in Ireland?

I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I grabbed a Modus Hoperandi the other day. Begrudgingly at €3.60 or so, after the €2 Drinkstore deal that time.

Such a good beer, I'd love it at nearer €3.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I grabbed a Modus Hoperandi the other day. Begrudgingly at €3.60 or so, after the €2 Drinkstore deal that time.

Such a good beer, I'd love it at nearer €3.

Yeah such a regret not buying a tray at that price. That said, I'm enjoying the box of Kinsale Pale Ale at the BBQ!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Bought a bottle of O'Haras Double IPA. Not a fan of it what so ever, in fact it is the first time I can remember not finishing a bottle of beer.

I do like strong IPA's but I find the taste of this one far too unpleasant.

I am having a pint of the Evil Dog double IPA now and it is much much nicer (even if I made it myself from a kit!)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Picked up a few bottles of Erdinger Dunkel in the Dunnes 4 for €9 offer. Something to enjoy with the football!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Hearing good things about a new brewery in Wexford called Blackstairs (i think)

Has anyone had their beer, been (un)reliably informed they only do one so far and it's a "Ruby Red Pale Ale"?

Never heard of that style before, anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Hit up the porterhouse earlier. Had a glass of the choc truffle stout which was quite good I must say, the biggest hit of choc I have ever gotten from a choc stout.

Also had a windjammer, lindemans apple and troubles graffiti which was Delish and only 3.5%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Stanlex

Just finished a Hilden Headless Dog and I had Fulcrum wheat beer yesterday. Both pretty nice imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Graffitti IPA from Trouble really enjoyed this beer.

Stanlex wrote: »
    Just finished a Hilden Headless Dog.

Thought the Twisted Hop was far nicer tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Damn you Heroditas & your thrifty, excellent libations, recommendations :eek:

My aching brain container curses you this day :D;)

Dare I ask how many you drank?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

had a few galway hooker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Stanlex

Thought the Twisted Hop was far nicer tbh

I'll give that one a go next week. Cheers

Just sampled a sneaky pint in Brewery Corner

Having heard great things about Stonewells (and having not drank cider in ages) I went for it. Very nice I must say. Looking round the place it seemed popular (although I think it's the only draft cider)

Tasted like more than a few would blow your head off but I'll be getting it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Alaskan Smoked Porter is amazing.

Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA.
    Never EVER again am I going to get a Rogue beer. Another bland uninteresting beer from the most over-rated brewery around. I decided to splash out on it because it was recommended to me and I said I'd give them one last chance. I can't believe they've got such good reviews.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA.
    Never EVER again am I going to get a Rogue beer. Another bland uninteresting beer from the most over-rated brewery around. I decided to splash out on it because it was recommended to me and I said I'd give them one last chance. I can't believe they've got such good reviews.

I've had my eye on that one but due to previous disappointments, and cost, I didn't bother.

Having a Hoppy Feet by Clown Shoes. Nicest Black IPA I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Heroditas wrote: »
    Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA.

Funny enough, I had a bottle of it this evening and thought it was lovely! Definitely not bland, thought it had a lovely hoppy aroma. Not cheap, I'll say that much.

slayerking wrote: »
    Funny enough, I had a bottle of it this evening and thought it was lovely! Definitely not bland, thought it had a lovely hoppy aroma. Not cheap, I'll say that much.

Certainly not cheap.
    Give me a Modus Hoperandi or a Founders any time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

The problem with rogue is that unless there is some other strong ingredient, the hazelnut brown say, then all their beers taste the exact same. I don't buy them anymore either

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement