Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

stuchyg wrote: »
    The problem with rogue is that unless there is some other strong ingredient, the hazelnut brown say, then all their beers taste the exact same. I don't buy them anymore either

They make some crap beers alright but they do make some really good ones also to be fair - both Deadguy and Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout are really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Finally got around to trying Cotton Ball's Kerry Lane Pale Ale and it's quite lovely. Followed that up with some Kinsale Pale Ale which seems to be getting nicer every time I try it.

I also paid a visit to Cork's latest craft beer bar on Saturday night, which was having a soft opening this weekend. It is were the North Gate Tavern once was. They only had 8 degrees stuff on tap, so had a Hurricane IPA and Knockmealdown Porter, which was the first time I've ever seen it on draft. The place itself seems a bit of the small side but it'll be interesting to see how it turns out when it opens fully.

It also looks like Cork's latest brew pub, Rising Sons, is finally coming together. Should be open in the next month or two. Good times ahead for craft brew in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

1211-founders-porter-l.jpg?400:400

Founders Porter

Delicious dark chocolate/caramel porter. It says on the label that it's Rich, Dark & Sexy and that pretty much describes this porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Franciscan Well Seasonal Coffee Porter. Had an issue with the lack of much carbonation at first, but it's a good one this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Supping away on a Carrig brewing Poachers Pale Ale. I think I'm a fan. It's similar enough to TB's Sabotage, has that (I'm not good at describing these things) chewiness to the forefront (is it the malt?) that Sabotage does that a lot of pale ales tend to lack a bit. Yum yum. Tried their amber before this and was very under impressed with it. They also have another pale ale out too (I think fishers pale ale) which is unusual from a newish brewery, to have two examples of the same style out at once, so will be interested to try that.

Finally picked up a Schneider Weisse Tap X too, which I've been wanting to try for quite a while. A cross between an English porter and a weisse beer, sounds really interesting. Anyone tried it before? Thoughts?

Also have a Goose Island County Bourbon Stout (2012) that I picked up during the week in Redmonds waiting to be tried at some point which I'm really looking forward to. At a tenner for a 33cl bottle it's a spendy one, but then again working out at 23 euro for 750mls, it doesn't seem that much for what's supposed to be up there with the best beers in the world. I mean if you could get one of the best bottles of wine in the world for E23, you'd be skipping home. Anyone had it? Nice nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

strobe wrote: »
    Also have a Goose Island County Bourbon Stout (2012) that I picked up during the week in Redmonds waiting to be tried at some point which I'm really looking forward to. At a tenner for a 33cl bottle it's a spendy one, but then again working out at 23 euro for 750mls, it doesn't seem that much for what's supposed to be up there with the best beers in the world. I mean if you could get one of the best bottles of wine in the world for E23, you'd be skipping home. Anyone had it? Nice nice?
    You are in for a real treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I tried the Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale last night for Game of Thrones viewing, tis nice however probably too strong for me.

More bitter then hops with a malty after taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tried Carrig Pipers pale ale at the weekend, very sweet and malty. Really lacking the hoppy punch, very disappointing.

Also had an Independent Pale ale. Normally when the abv hits 6% its a bit much for me but this was lovely. A lovely American style Pale Ale for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

RasTa wrote: »
    I tried the Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale last night for Game of Thrones viewing, tis nice however probably too strong for me.

More bitter then hops with a malty after taste.

Hmmm bitter plus malty has me worried. Not mad on a very malty aftertaste. I haven't tried any of the bottles I bought last Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Heroditas wrote: »
    Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA.
    Never EVER again am I going to get a Rogue beer. Another bland uninteresting beer from the most over-rated brewery around. I decided to splash out on it because it was recommended to me and I said I'd give them one last chance. I can't believe they've got such good reviews.

I have to disagree, I love 7 hop IPA. The aroma hits you the second you open the bottle. Its so well balanced, doesnt taste like its 8%. Dead guy is also top but rouge do produce a load of crap. The voodoo doughnut beer and horrible tequila flavored beers,

In Oregon most people find Rouge too commercial and way over priced. Hopsfully some day we will have a craft beer culture like that in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I have to disagree, I love 7 hop IPA. The aroma hits you the second you open the bottle. Its so well balanced, doesnt taste like its 8%. Dead guy is also top but rouge do produce a load of crap. The voodoo doughnut beer and horrible tequila flavored beers,

In Oregon most people find Rouge too commercial and way over priced. Hopsfully some day we will have a craft beer culture like that in Ireland!
    I'm guessing that typo wasn't accidental. ;)

BaZmO* wrote: »

Definite Freudian slip!

Definite Freudian slip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I had Deschutes Hop in the Dark, they describe it as a Cascadian Dark/Black Ale.
    This tasted like a darker, slightly creamier Black Butte to me, with a bit extra hops and a slight coffee taste.
    A nice beer, but no flavour really stood out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Definite Freudian slip!

Freudian sip!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Lovely hoppy pale ale with my lunch today.

Societe-The-Publican-ACB.png

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Had a couple of those yesterday too on my first visit to jdw in enniskillen.

Petty damn tasty for 1.75 (ale special on mondays!)

I enjoyed it more than the sixpoint bengali tiger I had after it in fact

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Galway Bay's newest batch of the saison is nice. Smell is all kiwi and strawberry. I'm not usually a saison fan but I like this.

Last night I revisited an old friend.
    4 for 10 on anchor porter in drink store. I really think that beer is the benchmark of what a good porter should be. Absolutely flawless.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Last night I revisited an old friend.
    4 for 10 on anchor porter in drink store. I really think that beer is the benchmark of what a good porter should be. Absolutely flawless.

I revisited it recently too. Wasn't anywhere near as nice as I remember it being, which was a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think it's great. A real a sweet Porter, so I'm not always in the form for it. One of my favourites, though.

I revisited it recently too. Wasn't anywhere near as nice as I remember it being, which was a shame.

You're wrong, but that's ok, you're allowed be wrong sometimes.

First bottle I had last night was freezing cold and very lack luster. The next one was less cold and a lot better. Third one was probably upwards of 13-15c and was fecking lovely.
    Got sleepy and went to bed without drinking the 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Finally picked up a Schneider Weisse Tap X too, which I've been wanting to try for quite a while. A cross between an English porter and a weisse beer, sounds really interesting. Anyone tried it before? Thoughts?

Having the Tap X... meh. Just like a watery enough porter tbh. Can't pick up any discernible weisse beerness from it at all, apart from maybe the watered down effect it seems to have produced. It's not awful, but I wouldn't have it again.

Seaneh wrote: »
    You're wrong, but that's ok, you're allowed be wrong sometimes.

First bottle I had last night was freezing cold and very lack luster. The next one was less cold and a lot better. Third one was probably upwards of 13-15c and was fecking lovely.
    Got sleepy and went to bed without drinking the 4th.
    It was obviously sh1t if you couldn't finish all four.

Oh and you're banned for a week for questioning a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Anonamoose

Mostly Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Tucking into my Discover America Pale Ale homebrew.its just ok.definitely needs some dry hopping if i ever decide to do it again.its a very subtle ipa

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Having the Tap X... meh. Just like a watery enough porter tbh. Can't pick up any discernible weisse beerness from it at all, apart from maybe the watered down effect it seems to have produced. It's not awful, but I wouldn't have it again.

I had it as well and thought it was a bit meh. I'm a big fan of Scnheider and enjoyed the last 2 Tap X I had but this one wasn't anything to write home about. I got a little bit of weiss beer taste off it but not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Anonamoose

also....more Guinness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Heroditas wrote: »
    Hmmm bitter plus malty has me worried. Not mad on a very malty aftertaste. I haven't tried any of the bottles I bought last Friday.

I take back what I said! Cracked open a bottle there and the maltiness goes really well with the high alcohol content.
    Very nice drink!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement