Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Grayditch wrote: »
    Tried Trouble's Whistleblower IPA last night. Jesus, its sweet. Nice enough, though. I'd try it again.

Been meaning to try some of their new range, especially the red rye ale. Bit disappointed they haven't bottled Graffiti tho, was a really great session ale and there are very few of those around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The Big Brown Bear was nice enough, too. Both better than I expected.

On Evil Twin's Yang (Yeah I keep going back to them) It's nice but suffers (for me) with the same problem as their of their stuff. The bitterness isn't an enjoyable bitterness. Maybe they're just not for me. Sometimes can taste almost metallic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Lagunita's Night Time Ale, for a dark ale ut didn't taste too "dark". The most dominant taste was almost identical to that of their IPA. A bit dissapointed as I was expecting something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

donnacha wrote: »
    Kinnegar Otway, entirely sessionable.

Just opened one now sitting in the sun. Really nice and a nice hop but not too hoppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I know its the beer thread.... But I picked up a an Irish Craft Cider this evening because it seemed like the thing to do with the fantastic weather.

Orpens Fresh Pressed Apple Cider. I think it's fine but probably couldn't tell the difference between it and a bottle of Bulmers.

So was just wondering are there any must have Irish Craft ciders?
    I was expecting apple pieces and everything in my glass. haha

Although in saying so, I'm not a big Cider drinker....so maybe I should just keep away and shut the hell up :)

• Advertisement

N17 Rye is nice. Could be a little stronger or have more bite, but I had an SN Ruthless yesterday, so its not fair to compare, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Grayditch wrote: »
    N17 Rye is nice. Could be a little stronger or have more bite, but I had an SN Ruthless yesterday, so its not fair to compare, probably.

I found N17 Rye far too sweet, so much so that there's no dry rye bite from it all. I must give it another go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

symbolic wrote: »
    I know its the beer thread.... But I picked up a an Irish Craft Cider this evening because it seemed like the thing to do with the fantastic weather.

Orpens Fresh Pressed Apple Cider. I think it's fine but probably couldn't tell the difference between it and a bottle of Bulmers.

Although in saying so, I'm not a big Cider drinker....so maybe I should just keep away and shut the hell up :)

Stonewell. Try both dry and medium dry. And if you can't tell that apart from bulmers there's something wrong. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'd also try craggies cider.

After salivating over every Bo Bristle IPA, I finally tried the amber.

Like a disappointing second album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Longueville house cider is worth a try too if you're in cork. It can be a little bit too sweet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Double L by Llewellyns is the best Irish cider that I've tried. Beautiful drink.

http://www.llewellynsorchard.ie/Irish_Cider/Double_L_Medium_Dry_Cider-recordid-30-z-product_details.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Double L by Llewellyns is the best Irish cider that I've tried. Beautiful drink.

http://www.llewellynsorchard.ie/Irish_Cider/Double_L_Medium_Dry_Cider-recordid-30-z-product_details.htm

Agreed.

Drinking a Whistle Blower, a savage IPA

Founders Curmudgeon, old ale brewed with molasses and ages in oak barrels. 9.8%

Another stunner from Founders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Well oprens is made in the bulmers plant so not sure how much a surprise the taste is!

Anyway stonewell is the best.

drumswan wrote: »
    Agreed.

Drinking a Whistle Blower, a savage IPA

Just had a bottle and loved it too.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Well oprens is made in the bulmers plant so not sure how much a surprise the taste is!

Anyway stonewell is the best.

Ah I didn't know that. I panicked at the fridge.

Stonewall was there anyway. I'll pick it up tomorrow. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

This stuff is pretty good as ciders go

http://www.llewellynsorchard.ie/Premium_quality_from_Irish_Orchards-recordid-5-z-product_range.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Tempted? are good. Special mention for Summer Sweet and Special Reserve varieties.

http://www.temptedcider.com/

Enjoying my Stonewell anyway. Cheers.
    I'll get through all the other recommendations too.

kSKSeW3l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Currently sipping a Thronbridge Kipling, perfect beer to go with the burgers I just made for myself and the housemate and the day that's in it. It's also substancially cheaper here than back home, only £2.26 in Waitrose (€4.90 in Drinkstore!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Seaneh wrote: »
    Currently sipping a Thronbridge Kipling, perfect beer to go with the burgers I just made for myself and the housemate and the day that's in it. It's also substancially cheaper here than back home, only £2.26 in Waitrose (€4.90 in Drinkstore!).

Yeah that's my biggest gripe about Thornbridge. You can even get it for £1.99 in some UK Tescos.
    It's worth it at that price but for nearly €5??
    Nah!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Heroditas wrote: »
    Yeah that's my biggest gripe about Thornbridge. You can even get it for £1.99 in some UK Tescos.
    It's worth it at that price but for nearly €5??
    Nah!

For £2-2.50 they are cracking beers. More than that and I'll go Irish every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I had an absolutely glorious pint of 8 Degrees Horn8s' Nest White IPA in the Norseman today - a wonderfully hopped and fruity white ale. Very Belgian but with the hop profile of a west-coast IPA. 8 Degrees are really doing some wonderful seasonals at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ravelleman wrote: »
    8 Degrees are really doing some wonderful seasonals at the moment.
    And plenty of them! New witbier just released this week, alongside the now-permanent Amber-Ella.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I really dislike Llewellyns ciders. Stonewell is the best, and McIvor's is nice as is Scott's. Really like Dan Kelly as well. Just tried Cockagee which is expensive but really tasty. I live with a man who doesn't drunk beer (the travesty) and has Somerset heritage so end up tasting a lot of ciders.

Axe Edge , Buxton Brewery when pouring a lovely orange smell floats out.

Lively tropical fruit taste and a nice hop hit finished off slightly dry.

I like this beer.

Devil's Half acre is an interesting one. Definitely feels smoother than 13.5%.

Nice one for sipping and good price, too. Porterhouses most ambitious beer, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A few cans of Stonehouse cider.. I have to say it is a grand dry cider..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

A few cans of Stonehouse cider.. I have to say it is a grand dry cider..

stonehouse? did you misread our recommendations?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement