Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

sarkozy wrote: »
    Dogfish Head. My god.

Which beer? And where did you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Seaneh wrote: »
    Where is stocking it in the area?

Skellys Bar in Ballymahon
    Coys Bar and Market bar in Longford Town
    Hanlons Gala on the Dublin Road.

I'll have to see if anywhere in Athlone has it :)

Skelly's has a nice selection!

Today I have had a mixed bag..

Fullers IPA
    Leann Folainn
    Headless Dog
    Belfast Blonde
    Pilsner Urquell
    Ruthless Rye IPA
    Random homebrews..

Tomorrow will be fun.

I'll have to see if anywhere in Athlone has it :)

Skelly's has a nice selection!

I have to confess I haven't driven through Ballymahon in a long time. They are announcing a few new stockists soon according to their facebook page. Hopefully somewhere will have it in Dublin.

• Advertisement

I have to confess I haven't driven through Ballymahon in a long time. They are announcing a few new stockists soon according to their facebook page. Hopefully somewhere will have it in Dublin.

Brother and his lady were living just outside the village until a few months ago. Stayed with them for about a week last September and popped into Skelly's to watch a few matches and get out of the house. Nothing on draught but a good selection of English Ales, a few German beers and McGrath's and Galway Bay bottles in the Off Licence next door.

I asked if I could buy a bottle from the offie in the bar and himself said fire away. Was only charging me something like €4 for bottles of Full Sail and Buried at Sea in the bar. Happy days. I was more than happy to pay a €1 corkage fee.

Cant say fairer than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

Skellys Bar in Ballymahon
    Coys Bar and Market bar in Longford Town
    Hanlons Gala on the Dublin Road.

I must pick some up in Hanlons next time I am down that way. Do they stock other craft beer?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I did have a smoky flavoured beer recently, it's name escapes me but I swear it taste of bacon. Had a right urge for a rashes sandwhich while I drank it.

This?
    aecht-schlenkerla-rauchbier1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

First time in a craft beer pub since the new arrival. Sitting in the BD drinking a BAS. They have Bay Ale on cask dry hopped and I want to try Troubles Rye. So a few more beers, some food then off to see Pixies and Arcade Fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

4 Old Engine Oil Porters for €10 in Molloy's, but they were the clearance. Great price and I grabbed the last 4, but this probably sees the end of them stocking it. Coupled with 4 Porterhouse beers for €6, I left happy.

Bottle of Clogwyn Gold by Conwy Brewery. Lovely, light, well balanced golden/pale ale.

Lovely tropical fruit nose with apricot and citrus hop notes balanced with lovely biscuity malts on the palate, perfect hot day session beer at 3.6% abv amazingly quaffable.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Alesmith grand cru, pretty damn good. Must try their others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Which beer? And where did you buy it?
    Drink Store, Stoneybatter. It's called DNA, a collaboration with a UK brewer, brewed in the UK. Not the real deal, unfortunately, but it has a good bit of what you would expect from their 60 minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Drink Store, Stoneybatter. It's called DNA, a collaboration with a UK brewer, brewed in the UK. Not the real deal, unfortunately, but it has a good bit of what you would expect from their 60 minute.
    It'll be on tap in Wetherspoons in a couple of weeks. Not supposed to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Second attempt at Whistleblower, the last time it was great, but felt too sweet, but that must have been after just after whatever I was drinking before, cause it was perfect tonight.

I'd love if they kept it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

It'll be on tap in Wetherspoons in a couple of weeks. Not supposed to be great.
    TBH, I wasn't impressed.

I've had it, thought it was pants.

Love 60 minute which it's meant to be a hybrid of but it's not anywhere near that level. Very, very, very average. Surprised they made enough of it for it to be sold outside the UK.

Have a bottle of DNA in the fridge for tonight as well. Although,I'm off work today so it might not last that long...

irish_goat wrote: »
    Have a bottle of DNA in the fridge for tonight as well. Although,I'm off work today so it might not last that long...

Don't get too excited and have an old reliable as backup.

• Advertisement

Don't get too excited and have an old reliable as backup.

Off to the offy I go...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

7T5hDb.jpg

Compliments of Ronan in The Bierhaus, Cork.

This was not what I was expecting at all.

I expected a big, bold, aggressively hopped and aggressively malted beer. A hop bomb.

What I got was much, much paler than I expected, much lighter in taste and body.

I never expected to be using words like delicate, subtle, understated and light to describe this beer.

It's a beautifully balanced, finely crafted brew that really hides it's alcohol content of 8%abv.
    This one was 5 weeks old. Tasted between 4 of us.
    I agree with what someone else here, said. You'd almost need the full bottle to truly appreciate it - it's a real grower.
    Yum.

It's not a big brash in your face american IPA.
    It's brilliance is in the depth of the flavours and the over all balance of flavours. It's just layer upon layer of subtle beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I didn't realise that new IPA from Trouble was 7.6%.
    Christ, no wonder I felt like I'd been assaulted with a baseball bat after having a few of them and a few Euphoria Pale Ales as well.

I only twigged it this morning! It really masks the alcohol well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Grayditch wrote: »
    4 Old Engine Oil Porters for €10 in Molloy's, but they were the clearance. Great price and I grabbed the last 4, but this probably sees the end of them stocking it. Coupled with 4 Porterhouse beers for €6, I left happy.

I love that porter, it's a real treat.

I love that porter, it's a real treat.

for an extra special treat get Ola Dubh, it's OEO matured in Whisky casks - amazing beer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

for an extra special treat get Ola Dubh, it's OEO matured in Whisky casks - amazing beer

For reasons unknown I've yet to try it. If it's better than OEO.....:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

For reasons unknown I've yet to try it. If it's better than OEO.....:)

It's about €5.95 a bottle, but it's usually worth it!

In my opinion it's the best Whisky Cask aged beer by quite a margin, neither the Fran Well not O'Hara's efforts were anywhere near it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Heroditas wrote: »
    I didn't realise that new IPA from Trouble was 7.6%.
    Christ, no wonder I felt like I'd been assaulted with a baseball bat after having a few of them and a few Euphoria Pale Ales as well.

I only twigged it this morning! It really masks the alcohol well.
    I felt the same way about the Lazy Sunday Saison. I misread the label, and drank it a little quicker than its 6.1% abv deserved. Really liked it too. Was getting a little tired of the onslaught of hoppy IPAs, so this was real treat. Will look out for the Whistle Blower though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement