Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Franziskaner Dunkel.

Mmmmmm, lovely sweet beer. Not too cloying though, just the right amount of body.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Tried Kenmare Pale Ale and Brú IPA for the first time this week.

Both pretty solid (quite similar actually) without being spectacular. Would certainly be happy to have them again, without necessarily going out of my way to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

Franziskaner Dunkel.

Mmmmmm, lovely sweet beer. Not too cloying though, just the right amount of body.
    Where did you pick this up if I may ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Neck oil from beavertown. These guys are 4/4 for me. Haven't had a bad beer from them even though their IPA's are a tad over carbonated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

8 degrees vic secret : the best by far black ipa ive had from what i noe consider the best Irish brewery (wtf are they doing over there!).

Bar their black series these guys are pulling off the best damn specials, amber ella, hurricane and cyclone, hornets nest, the full irish.

Anyone else care to name who is doing better than them as an irish brewery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Bo Bristle smokey bacon. I enjoyed it, nice and smokey without being overpowering

Picked up some vic secret for tomorrow. The best black ipa I've had is Thornebridge wild raven followed by Blacks of Kinsale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

adamski8 wrote: »
    8 degrees vic secret : the best by far black ipa ive had from what i noe consider the best Irish brewery (wtf are they doing over there!).

Bar their black series these guys are pulling off the best damn specials, amber ella, hurricane and cyclone, hornets nest, the full irish.

The recent brews from trouble have been decent. As has galway bays.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The last four bottles specials by Trouble are up their a far as I'm concerned. Didn't get to try Graffiti unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The last four bottles specials by Trouble are up their a far as I'm concerned. Didn't get to try Graffiti unfortunately.

forgot graffiti, that might be the best of them all!
    *trouble not 8 degrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Hey, I've to buy a few bottles for my girlfriend for a party this weekend. She said she didn't mind what it was as long as it was 'nice' and 'beer'. Now, I don't drink so I haven't an absolute clue, but I had a flick through some of the stuff on the website of an off-licence nearby and I landed on these:

Eight Degrees Brewing Hurricane IPA (because "mango and passionfruit")
    Thornbridge Beadeca's Well (because "toffee, caramel and dark fruits")
    Brewdog Bourbon Baby (because of other adjectives)
    Brewdog Hello My Name is Vladimir (because "blueberry" and weirdness)

They're all rated fairly well on the website Ratebeer.com, but any advice / better alternatives are welcome! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Hey, I've to buy a few bottles for my girlfriend for a party this weekend. She said she didn't mind what it was as long as it was 'nice' and 'beer'. Now, I don't drink so I haven't an absolute clue, but I had a flick through some of the stuff on the website of an off-licence nearby and I landed on these:

They're all rated fairly well on the website Ratebeer.com, but any advice / better alternatives are welcome! :o

All brilliant beers, although it depends on your girlfriends idea of what good beer is...if its corona, then nope. These will all be too nice for her and Id say she mightn't appreciate them :o

What does she normally drink?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

11ig1ur.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

All brilliant beers, although it depends on your girlfriends idea of what good beer is...if its corona, then nope. These will all be too nice for her and Id say she mightn't appreciate them :o

What does she normally drink?

I see what you mean! She drinks corona and Heineken stuff alright but I don't know if it's because she thinks it's quality or because she's a student and has no money... I know she also likes Crabbie's Raspberry Ginger Beer, but that's the only rare-ish one I can remember her drinking.. If it helps she also likes Guinness.. and whiskey!

I might try get a bottle of each of the ones I listed, so, and if she thinks they taste the same as every other beer, I'll know next time anyway :P

Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I see what you mean! She drinks corona and Heineken stuff alright but I don't know if it's because she thinks it's quality or because she's a student and has no money... I know she also likes Crabbie's Raspberry Ginger Beer, but that's the only rare-ish one I can remember her drinking.. If it helps she also likes Guinness.. and whiskey!

I might try get a bottle of each of the ones I listed, so, and if she thinks they taste the same as every other beer, I'll know next time anyway :P

Thanks a million!

Pick up a munster brewery blackguard, it's a lager so more similar to Heineken or corona than the ones you listed, but far nicer.

Also grab an o hara's leann follain, like a much nicer Guinness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

these guys are pulling off the best damn specials, amber ella, hurricane and cyclone, hornets nest, the full irish.
    New Simcoe Rye Ale, just out.
    Bt3Pb8FIYAATIlT.jpg
    (pic via Bradleys)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They're no doubt decent beers but they're also quite full on and might not be to a lot of people's taste, especially those who are new to craft beers.

I would go for the Eight Degrees Hurricane anyway.
    Get Thornbridge Kipling instead of the Beadeca's. http://www.bradleysofflicence.ie/thornbridge-kipling/
    As above, get a Leann Follain. http://www.bradleysofflicence.ie/oharas-beers-carlow-brewing-company/
    And maybe go for a Kinnegar Yannaroddy (coconut porter). http://www.bradleysofflicence.ie/kinnegar-brewing/

Of course, there's no wrong answer, her new favourite beer could be any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

BeerNut wrote: »
    New Simcoe Rye Ale, just out.
    Bt3Pb8FIYAATIlT.jpg
    (pic via Bradleys)

I can't keep up with 8 degrees, how many new beers have they released in the last 12 months?

If the Simcoe is up there with Vic Secret I'll be delighted. Any draught sightings of it yet?

Also anyone know if the Fran Well Clementine & Rosemary Saison will be on draught anywhere and/or how much is the bottle?

When the rosemary and clementine saison came out back in March it was draught only and I think Shane Long said it would be bottle only when it was re-released.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

International Beer Day tomorrow, isn't it?

Also, any word if Franciscan Well are bottling Purgatory? I love the stuff on draught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I can't keep up with 8 degrees, how many new beers have they released in the last 12 months?
    The way it should be IMO, 8 degrees starting to leave many of the others behind.

Im off to London for the weekend, visits to Partizan and The Kernel lined up, as well as Cask & The Craft Beer Co. Any other recommendations?

• Advertisement

The Euston Tap, The Harp, The Queen's Head and The Rake, depending on where you are and what's handy. I don't think I'd make a special journey to Cask if there's another Craft Beer Co. pub handier.

Picked cask for its food options, ill have a look at those others thanks.

Does anyone know if you can get late night craft pints in London? Or do they all close at 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

drumswan wrote: »
    The way it should be IMO, 8 degrees starting to leave many of the others behind.

Im off to London for the weekend, visits to Partizan and The Kernel lined up, as well as Cask & The Craft Beer Co. Any other recommendations?

Southampton Arms near Kentish Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Heroditas wrote: »
    Also, any word if Franciscan Well are bottling Purgatory? I love the stuff on draught

Nah, the Chieftain IPA is gonna be the bottled pale ale. The Purgy is only brewed twice a year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I went to Brewdog's pub in Shoreditch last weekend, the hipster quotient is very high there but all the Brewdog favourites were on tap. They also had Anchor IPA and an Anchor stout as guest beers. I think they had some Mikkeller Green and Gold which I'm not particularly fond of. It seems to be bitter for the sake of being bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Nah, the Chieftain IPA is gonna be the bottled pale ale. The Purgy is only brewed twice a year

Thanks. Haven't seen or tasted Chieftain yet. I must keep an eye out for it.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Thanks. Haven't seen or tasted Chieftain yet. I must keep an eye out for it.

Its on permanently in The Headline

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Does anyone know if you can get late night craft pints in London? Or do they all close at 11?

The Lexington is open until 3am, not a great selection though, mostly american but they usually have 1 or 2 Camden Town beers on.

http://www.thelexington.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Had white gypsy red ale on tap for the first time last week, in Wexford. Christ it was smooth, and fantastically tasty. Is it available anywhere, on tap, in Dublin?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement