Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Today im on the TO OL beers.

First up Mochaccino Messiah-coffee brown ale, a very nice one but as it was TO OL i expected much more. I think id go for a breakfast stout as it much more complex. This is nice and smooth with a soft espresso flavour.

Dangerously Close to Stupid - DIPA, such a weird and inviting yellow orangey colour, never seen anything like it. Turns out i never tasted anything like it. Just amazing, no harshness at all and alcohol at 9.8 isn't felt. Just a smooth taste ride into tropical hop heaven. Not a bitter hop bomb that i expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

adamski8 wrote: »
    Today im on the TO OL beers.

First up Mochaccino Messiah-coffee brown ale, a very nice one but as it was TO OL i expected much more. I think id go for a breakfast stout as it much more complex. This is nice and smooth with a soft espresso flavour.

Dangerously Close to Stupid - DIPA, such a weird and inviting yellow orangey colour, never seen anything like it. Turns out i never tasted anything like it. Just amazing, no harshness at all and alcohol at 9.8 isn't felt. Just a smooth taste ride into tropical hop heaven. Not a bitter hop bomb that i expected.

Must try that dangerously close to stupid. Sounds like my kinda drink.

Also like the sound of the brown ale.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The black IPA by Blacks of Kinsale is gorgeous. 45 minutes out of the fridge so it's not too cold. Definitely one to buy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm not telling what I plan to be drinking this weekend.
    There's only a small cask of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A Red Hook, Long Hammer IPA. Very enjoyable.

• Advertisement

I don't know what all the fuss was about regarding Chasing The Dragon. Had a glass of it in Bierhaus, Cork last night. Didn't bother having a second (despite it being a very reasonable €6 a pint).
    To me it tasted like a Belgian golden ale with some extra hops.
    I thought the malt profile was all wrong for a DIPA and the hop flavour was just lacking.

But Black's Rocketship dry hopped cask DIPA was gorgeous. Was.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don't know what all the fuss was about regarding Chasing The Dragon. Had a glass of it in Bierhaus, Cork last night. Didn't bother having a second (despite it being a very reasonable €6 a pint).
    To me it tasted like a Belgian golden ale with some extra hops.
    I thought the malt profile was all wrong for a DIPA and the hop flavour was just lacking.
    I had a taster of it at the beerfest and I wasn't impressed enough to go back for more. I just thought it was overly sweet, something that a lot of the new beers from Trouble have in common. Done right, I like sweetness in beers but not were it's syrupy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Two opposite tasting notes in a row :D

Second best beer I had at the festival for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

But Black's Rocketship dry hopped cask DIPA was gorgeous. Was.
    +1; had one a couple of weeks ago. Very impressed and would like more!

drumswan wrote: »
    Two opposite tasting notes in a row :D

How do you make that out?

I said I didn't like the malt profile, Bazmo said he thought it was too sweet.
    Where's the opposites ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah I thought Rocketship was pathetic in terms of it's hop profile. Isn't it a single too? Not sure if they were serving it cask at the beer fest.

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah I thought Rocketship was pathetic in terms of it's hop profile. Isn't it a single too? Not sure if they were serving it cask at the beer fest.

The dry hopped cask version certainly isn't lacking in terms of hop profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The dry hopped cask version certainly isn't lacking in terms of hop profile.

What's the difference? I'm guessing they were both dry hopped, draught and cask(bar more aroma from the cask). Surprised you thought it was a double too unless it was a different beer.

Trying to gauge your hop tolerance, thoughts on Blackbucket on draught from Kinnegar?

RasTa wrote: »
    What's the difference? I'm guessing they were both dry hopped, draught and cask(bar more aroma from the cask). Surprised you thought it was a double too unless it was a different beer.

Trying to gauge your hop tolerance, thoughts on Blackbucket on draught from Kinnegar?

I'm guessing that the keg doesn't have hops put into it like the cask does.
    My mistake, it doesn't call itself a double IPA.

I've not had Blackbucket.
    I like hops but I don't like too much hop bitterness unless it is balanced with lots of hop flavour and aroma.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A pint of the Nelson Sauvin from 8degrees in the norseman.. I had forgotten it is over 7%..
    One of the nicest beers I have had in a long time.

A pint of the Nelson Sauvin from 8degrees in the norseman.. I had forgotten it is over 7%..

I didn't care for that when I first tasted it last week but on trying it again, I really like it.
    Last week it seemed too dry, too strong, too yeasty but now I love it.

How do you make that out?

I said I didn't like the malt profile, Bazmo said he thought it was too sweet.
    Where's the opposites ?

Syrupy and overly sweet is the opposite of the Belgian Golden Ale style, which is dry and spicy - Duvel being the obvious example . Maybe you were served the wrong beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Got round to tasting Of Foam and Fury.

It's a great beer, but not really "the definitive" beer it's been made out to be, and to be quite honest, I prefer Full Sail. Full Sail is an outstanding pint.

Syrupy and overly sweet is the opposite of the Belgian Golden Ale style, which is dry and spicy - Duvel being the obvious example . Maybe you were served the wrong beer?

Nonsense.
    Lots of Belgian golden ales are sweet and sugary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

My favourite hop, I have to try this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭No Username Yet

Just had this last night, good stuff worth a try at least once

Nonsense.
    Lots of Belgian golden ales are sweet and sugary.

Which ones?
    A lovely beer. Was lovely last week too.

Which ones?
    Delirium Tremens is one example.
    There are many.
    But this is a pointless argument.
    Just because two posters don't agree with you on a beer you loved, doesn't mean they know less about the subject than you.

I tried CTD again last night.
    I found it boozy, harsh, bitter and too malty sweet. Just not a refined beer at all. Lovely nose, though.

For reference, I love Hardcore, OFAF, Dogfish head 90', Dangerously Close to Stupid, Pliny The Elder, Torpedo, First Frontier to name a few double /imperial /extra ipas that spring to mind.

I thought that CTD was nowhere near the quality of any of those beers.
    Irish beer has come so far that being "good for an Irish beer" no longer cuts it for me.

Obviously, taste is a subjective thing, and all the above is a matter of opinion. I, however, object to your attempt to undermine those with a different opinion to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Kelly's Mountain Brew Justice Pale Ale on tap.

I thought it was really, really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Having a Porterhouse Devil's half acre, I'll miss you homie

tumblr_mn7k13kKOt1srsy9vo2_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Just poured myself a Carraig Dubh from Beor Corca Dhuibhne.

Why. The. ****. Have I never had this before??? Fantastic Stout. Such a rich taste, with a light body.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

Got round to tasting Of Foam and Fury.

It's a great beer, but not really "the definitive" beer it's been made out to be, and to be quite honest, I prefer Full Sail. Full Sail is an outstanding pint.

Just had a bottle of Full Sail very nice have you tried Bo Bristle IPA? One of the nicest IPA's I've tried.
    Just poured myself a Carraig Dubh from Beor Corca Dhuibhne.

Why. The. ****. Have I never had this before??? Fantastic Stout. Such a rich taste, with a light body.

Had a glass of it at the Craft Beer Festival it is fantastic one of my favourites from the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

BaZmO* wrote: »
    ???

I thought people would be interested in knowing about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement