Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Back 'home' in roscommon County . I can see the Black Donkey brewery out the window of the local and having to drink Guinness.. Boourns I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Mead-or rather melomel.I've never tried it before so I've nothing to compare it to,its pretty 'meh' but I'm pissed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Tried Alba Abu Ale (on Thursday, when we still had a chance!). It was very nice. Well worth checking it out, before they replace it with a "Stuck in the Union Pale Ale"!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Where did you guys get Hoptimum? I was in Drinkstore yesterday and didn't spot it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Blind Pig IPA & Sculpin IPA, both a gift from a bro in San Diego

I think I'm in lust with these beers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Heroditas wrote: »
    Where did you guys get Hoptimum? I was in Drinkstore yesterday and didn't spot it.

I found some in O'Brien's in Malahide village, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I had an Aztec Stout from 8 degrees a few days ago, they were just out of date so it was cheap, my god it was horrible, I am a big fan of 8 degrees but This was horrendous it actually burned my throat while I drank it, I went down the drain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

James Squire Hop Thief

American Pale Ale..

Has simcoe & columbus hops.. pretty damn nice. Loving pale ale these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Heroditas wrote: »

Baggot Street Wines have it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Evil Twin Yin and Evil Twin Yang

Tried them both individually and together. They are both good beers ( prefer the Yin ) on their own but the mix is very nice and probably nicer than each individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

bladebrew wrote: »
    I had an Aztec Stout from 8 degrees a few days ago, they were just out of date so it was cheap, my god it was horrible, I am a big fan of 8 degrees but This was horrendous it actually burned my throat while I drank it, I went down the drain!

It didn't burn my throat but it is certainly not their best offering of the last year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I had that on draught and I thought it wasnt nice.

They've more than made up for it recently, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭raler

Hi,

Saw it mentioned previously, but does anyone know where I can buy cans of Beaverton Gamma Ray in Dublin or Wicklow ? Tried it over weekend, its great..

thanks in advance,
    R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Lover beers beerbera in the italian quater in dublin. Excellent beer (8%) if you can strictly call it that as uses grapes so its like a half wine half beer. Its a sour beer too but a mild one, really great i thought. At only 4e a glass on draught it's definitely worth a trip in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

raler wrote: »
    Hi,

Saw it mentioned previously, but does anyone know where I can buy cans of Beaverton Gamma Ray in Dublin or Wicklow ? Tried it over weekend, its great..

thanks in advance,
    R
    All the usuals stock it - Drinkstore, Redmonds etc.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Lover beers beerbera in the italian quater in dublin. Excellent beer (8%) if you can strictly call it that as uses grapes so its like a half wine half beer. Its a sour beer too but a mild one, really great i thought. At only 4e a glass on draught it's definitely worth a trip in.

Oh, very interesting. Where in the 'Italian Quarter' in particular?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Ravelleman wrote: »

I think it's in Wallace's Winebar.

Related...
    Hi there,
    Just thought I should let you all know that Wallace winebars are hosting a mini Italian craft beer festival on Saturday the 15th of November in the Italian Quarter Square, Lower Ormond Quay.
    So far I have confirmation from Extraomnes, Loverbeer, Birrificio Montegioco, Almond 22, Foglie d'Erba, and Birrificio Barley. The brewers from each company will be coming to present their beers.
    There will be music and Italian Street Food.
    There will be no entrance fee, beer will be sold on a ticket stub type basis, one 2 euro ticket for a half pint, 2 tickets for a pint, 2 for a half of specialty beer etc...
    Anyway, that's pretty much it.
    Best,
    Fionn

irish_goat wrote: »
    I think it's in Wallace's Winebar.

I hope Mick is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

that will be a nice way to spend my Birthday celebrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ravelleman wrote: »

Enoteca have it on draught but i think the others have some of the bottles though. Enoteca have a large range of bottles.

I also had the pink ipa. Made with pepper, very nice and strange beer too. Really cool bottle too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

AFAIK Wallace's Asti on Russell Street has the range too.

Was in Bath over the weekend and had rather a lot of bitter in my free moments.

While not usually a big fan of Bath Ales stuff, I had a magic pint of Forest Hare, their autumn ale, on cask in lovely, quintessentially English pub. It reminded me of Galway Hooker on its good days. I also had another of their seasonals with hops from New Zealand, which went down well.

Abbey Ales Bellringer was also quite enjoyable. Fullers Wild River was very American in style - "double hopped" if I remember correctly

I can't really remember what else I had as at times I was just picking things at random, given that there wasn't all that much variety in terms of styles and I was without internet.

I always find it amazing that pints of craft beer (and stuff from the regional breweries) on cask are usually cheaper than macro lagers on keg in most places. The English have it right. That being said, the concept of tied houses is kind of odd. I guess that in Ireland all houses are basically tied anyway - to the usual bilge merchants.

went to see James Taylor tonight in the point, so dropped in for a couple of Buried At Sea in the Brew Dock, the mrs was on Hooker.

Wife likes to drink craft beer, but absolutely will not drink anything with very strong flavours, so IPAs and most craft stouts are just out for her, was a hard decision in the pub tonight.

She likes Metalman, Trouble Or/Deception and Hooker, but there's not much else available to someone who wants to drink craft beer but wants something "toned down". Maybe Limeburner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

bladebrew wrote: »

Funny, same story for me but I thought it was very tasty.

I also tried the Russian Imperial Stout (again, going cheap, and I wasn't in the country when it was released)-gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Speaking of "toned down", I was in bar volo in toronto yesterday-i ended up with not just a sour, but "sour stout" aged in tequila barrels, by belwoods brewery.

my only experience of a sour before this was at the icbcf and white gypsy's offering.

I felt completely out of my depth

She likes Metalman, Trouble Or/Deception and Hooker, but there's not much else available to someone who wants to drink craft beer but wants something "toned down". Maybe Limeburner too.
    Bay Ale? The Brew Dock usually has Fisher Hell and Erdinger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

went to see James Taylor tonight in the point, so dropped in for a couple of Buried At Sea in the Brew Dock, the mrs was on Hooker.

Wife likes to drink craft beer, but absolutely will not drink anything with very strong flavours, so IPAs and most craft stouts are just out for her, was a hard decision in the pub tonight.

Maybe something like howling gale. Or something like a blone ale is normally fairly light

BeerNut wrote: »
    Bay Ale? The Brew Dock usually has Fisher Hell and Erdinger too.
    yeah, isn't Bay Ale a red? She has an aversion to that too.

Fisher Hell is lager right? She likes to move away from Lagers, and finds Wheat Beers too heavy.

Look, it's great that my wife is into the crafty beers, and not cocktails, but she's still hard work :pac:
    matrim wrote: »
    Maybe something like howling gale. Or something like a blone ale is normally fairly light

Yep, I know that, but there were no Blonde's on tap, and I didn't see anything in the fridge either.

Hooker is grand like, but a choice would be good.

With criteria like that, having the choice of four beers is quite a luxury. It wasn't that long ago that four drinkable beers was more than any of us could hope for in a Dublin pub.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lads. Kinegar's Yannaroddy is unbelievable porter. Lovely stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement