Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dasdog wrote: »
    Picked up in a shop run by a German in the northern suburbs of Madrid.

15rd0mu.png

How much did that cost ya? An arm and a leg?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I only recognise the Sierra Nevada. :o

Any chance you'd post the names of the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZmO* wrote: »
    How much did that cost ya? An arm and a leg of cured ham?

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭dasdog

An File wrote: »
    I only recognise the Sierra Nevada. :o

Any chance you'd post the names of the others?

Chouffe Houblon
    Adnams Mosaic
    Maximus 8
    Maximus Sasson 5
    Cannabis Club
    Konig Ludwig Weissebier
    Buronator (Only bad one, way too malty)
    Guinea Pig Flow
    VG Nostes APA
    Sierra Nevada PA

Had a couple of beers from the cask in the shop as well, all came to €31.

cervezorama.es is the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Bought a 1ltr growler of hammarby Syndrome from Brooklyn brewery in carry out in tyrrelstown yesterday. Yet to open it but I love the idea of draught beer at home so hopefully it'll be good. They had 4 kegs on when I was there. Great service imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Tried a Chieftan IPA by Franciscan Well at PJ Flaherty's in Lower Salthill, Galway. Thought it was a nice, fruity, somewhat sweet beer. It's not really bitter so people who don't normally go for hoppy beers would probably like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Heh. Walked in and the barman just pointed to the cask Stone Barrel IPA.

Having that so.

this is a great beer, it's called Day Trippin and tasted so fresh and clean from the cask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

O'Hara's Pale Ale. About all I can get in Stepaside in the pubs. That said it is great to have the option of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

this is a great beer, it's called Day Trippin and tasted so fresh and clean from the cask.

I tried that at the Festival. Fecked if I can remember what it tasted like though. I had it towards the end of the night...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Crocodile Teeth

Torpedo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bo Bristle Imperial IPA.
    I liked this a lot. Does what it says on the tin.

Also tried a White Gypsy American Pale Ale (which I think he calls Amber Ale or something), an unfiltered, Cascade dry hopped ale.
    Really good (like almost every beer he makes) but why does he give his beers such misleading names? Calling a wit Blond was a particularly good example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Over the weekend I tried

Fran Well Chieftan IPA - Very tasty and malty pale ale but a little under hopped for me.

Guinness Dublin Porter - Very thin bodied with a hint of roasted malts but overall a fairly poor porter. I'd try it again to be sure because I had a few of the Chieftan before hand but wouldn't rush back

Galway Bay Good Blue Monday - This was very nice. Lovely tropical hoppy aroma and flavour with a nice malty body. The only complaint is that I felt that the transition from the initial hop bite to the body wasn't as smooth as I'd like

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

O'Hara's Pale Ale. About all I can get in Stepaside in the pubs. That said it is great to have the option of it..
    Didn't they have White Gypsy beers in the Step Inn? I think they have some other O'Haras/other bottles in The Wild Boar (but it's been a while).

Incidentally, I was in the Harbour Bar in Bray yesterday. It's really becoming a cracking little pub, with a nice selection of craft beers. Apart from Brú, they have the new Wicklow Wolf (kind of like a toned down 5am Saint - very tasty), and Rascal's Ginger Porter (very drinkable).

matrim wrote: »
    Galway Bay Good Blue Monday - This was very nice. Lovely tropical hoppy aroma and flavour with a nice malty body. The only complaint is that I felt that the transition from the initial hop bite to the body wasn't as smooth as I'd like

I had some of this at the weekend too, the Oatmeal IPA, right?

Found there was a really weird underlying syrupy sweetness that really put me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Rising Sons brought out their new Cherry Bomb yesterday so I had a go. It's really, really nice. I was expecting something like Kriek Boon, a purple sugary bitter drink more fruit juice than beer, but it was almost the opposite, a delicious beer about the same colour as their Handsum IPA, with a more subtle cherry flavour that didn't drown out the rest of the beer. Ended up staying with it for the night, really delicious beer, well worth a go. The head makes the first mouthful or two kinda bitter, but it just gets better and better as you finish it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Had a White Gypsy Scarlet, Belgian sour over the weekend in Kavanaghs on tap. Had this at the festival and thought it was great. Liked it even more this time around (I suppose being able to appreciate it more not being one beer in amongst a bunch of others of different styles). Gorgeous beer. Haven't had many sours before but if this is what to expect I'll be seeking out a few more in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

lk67 wrote: »
    Ryan and the Beaster Bunny? I loved it!

Had it last night and got more today.

Great beer imo.

Agreed! Fantastic beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Picked up a pack of brewdogs Russian doll yesterday, looking forward to seeing what it's like

Picked up a pack of brewdogs Russian doll yesterday, looking forward to seeing what it's like

it's a bit full of itself

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

it's a bit full of itself

Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Opening a bottle of McGrath's Irish Red Ale tonight. Their stout was pretty nice, so I got their ale to give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Been drinking a lot of "out of date" Russian Imperial Stout from 8 Degrees, dead cheap.

What a feccking beer! Absolutely perfect compliment to a long day of work. Reminds me of Chimay Blue, a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

What places have 8 degrees RIS still ? Unfortunately didn't have the chance to try it when it came out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Wild, described by them as a Wild Ale. Their description aside it seems to be known as a Belgian IPA.
    Definitely doesn't have the usual hop bitterness I'm used to, but a really nice beer all the same.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/57912/

So as always on a Friday I go to my local offi and purchase a few beers.

This week I want to go down the line of a REALLY hoppy IPA.

I dont mind what % it is. Low or high I'll look at either. I tend to go towards the higher %. I find they tend to be more complex flavour wise but as I said I'm open to anything here.

I also dont care about the price. Not that I'm loaded but quality over quantity and all that.

My biggest want here is flavour. I want a beer that is all about the big hoppy flavours.

So any suggestions welcome.

Hers a list of IPA's I've been drinking of late. I'd like something different so none of these please as suggestions.
    • Galway Bay Of Foam and Fury (Such an amazing beer. Every time I have it I'm still astounded at how much flavour it has. I try to limit myself buying it though to keep it special, tis hard though :o)
    • Founders Centinial IPA (This and Torpedo are solid beers, I prefer the founders beer at this point but Torpedo is good too)
    • SN Torpedo
    • Brew Dog Punk (I have a soft spot for this as it was one of the first IPA's I had. Tis an every now and then purchase for old time sake more than anything tbh)
    • OHaras Double IPA (got it cheap in tesco recently. Wouldnt buy it at full price. Its ok but nothing special)
    • I have tried others but these are the most recent.
    Is it wrong that I'd like a beer now? :pac:

Had 2 bottles of Spaten Oktoberfest last night with the month thats in it. Enjoyable.

Its definately a lot better than regular Spaten. Good flavour and packs a punch at 5.4%.

Also after watching a youtube video from the English fella realcraftbeer I think is his channel, starts all reviews saying its beer o clock, I bought a bottle of U-boat, smoked porter. Its a joint effort from Brew Dog and Victoria as I'm sure ye know.

I havent had a lot of smoked porters but this would have me coming back for more. I think the smoked'ness for want of a better word suits porter better than other smoked wiess I've tasted. Theres one from Germany I had that was just waaaay too much smoked'ness. But yeah suits porter imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum is about at the moment.

symbolic wrote: »
    Sierra Nevada Hoptimum is about at the moment.

Thats one I've been meaning to try for a while now so definately a contender for tonights festivities. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

If you like Punk, I'm pretty sure you'll like BrewDog Hardcore and Jackhammer.

I'm also a big fan of Founders All Day IPA - lower % than most IPA's but a great starter beer for a night in. Great citrus flavour to get the juices flowing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement