Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance won't pay

Options
  • 14-01-2014 1:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I was broken into last year. They came in through a window which they opened with a crowbar. Took a lot of stuff including beds etc(im quite remote and was away for a few days).
    The insurance assessor came in, took a few photos and left. About 4 weeks later I got a message form them saying that they were refusing my claim on the basis that I did not have a 5 lever mortice lock on the front door(it was stated in the policy,but I did not notice). I had a half door with yale lock and bolt.
    This was all done before I had sent in the claims form,as I was waiting for a guard to sign it.
    Has anyone had a similar issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

It generally wouldn't be stated in the policy. Well it would, but it would have been first mentioned in any statement of fact or proposal form you completed. It's a standard question on both. So was it there and you didnt notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

thomur wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I was broken into last year. They came in through a window which they opened with a crowbar. Took a lot of stuff including beds etc(im quite remote and was away for a few days).
    The insurance assessor came in, took a few photos and left. About 4 weeks later I got a message form them saying that they were refusing my claim on the basis that I did not have a 5 lever mortice lock on the front door(it was stated in the policy,but I did not notice). I had a half door with yale lock and bolt.
    This was all done before I had sent in the claims form,as I was waiting for a guard to sign it.
    Has anyone had a similar issue

There's your problem. It was probably stated on the proposal form that you had 5 lever locks OR it was an assumption on the Statement of Fact

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It's not really relevant to the claim though. Yes you should have had the locks in place but it's not wholly relevant to how they got in.

I'd complain and run to the ombudsman.

MugMugs wrote: »
    It's not really relevant to the claim though. Yes you should have had the locks in place but it's not wholly relevant to how they got in.

I'd complain and run to the ombudsman.

It is relevant. 5 Lever deadlocks prevent the door being opened from the inside when fully locked. This prevents a thief from exiting with larger items. OP said beds were taken

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

oldyouth wrote: »
    It is relevant. 5 Lever deadlocks prevent the door being opened from the inside when fully locked. This prevents a thief from exiting with larger items. OP said beds were taken

I would still suggest that the OP esculate this matter to the Ombudsman.

I didn't read the bit about the beds.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    I would still suggest that the OP esculate this matter to the Ombudsman.

I didn't read the bit about the beds.

What would be your main argument in presenting this to the Ombudsman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The OP signed the prop/statement of fact stating that there was a 5LMDL in place, there was not and the house got robbed.

He basically gave false information therefore his claim is void.

Most insurers will ask over the phone if there's a 5LMDL in place. The only hope he may have is that of he got quoted over the phone that he wasn't asked this question.

If however he filled it out online himself for example he is pretty much snookered and there isn't much he FSO can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Thanks for the responses guys. Pretty much thought I was snookered as someone said. Thought as they came through window that I might be ok. Will be fully reading docs in future

thomur wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses guys. Pretty much thought I was snookered as someone said. Thought as they came through window that I might be ok. Will be fully reading docs in future

I'd still have a look at the proposal form to verify what was stated but if it's there, I don't think you have much of a chance

Advertisement